Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Found this Golden Age house ad ... Was the Invaders slogan actually the slogan for All Winners Squad?
    Well, no.

There was no "All Winners Squad" yet back when the issue of that book was available. (The All Winners Squad only appeared twice back in the Golden Age: issue #19 (Fall 1946) and #21 (Winter 1946). There was no issue #20 published (why, I have no idea).

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, no.

There was no "All Winners Squad" yet back when the issue of that book was available. (The All Winners Squad only appeared twice back in the Golden Age: issue #19 (Fall 1946) and #21 (Winter 1946). There was no issue #20 published (why, I have no idea).

I've GOT to get my books unpacked.

So, those earlier All Winners books had individual stories about the Timely Trio, but didn't have them in a team called All Winners until those later two issues you mentioned? Did they use that slogan in those two issues as a team?

Or was "Ok Axis, Here We Come!" a common war time slogan? Something the Americans said when they finally got into the war and went to Europe?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

So, those earlier All Winners books had individual stories about the Timely Trio, but didn't have them in a team called All Winners until those later two issues you mentioned?
    The first issue of All Winners Comics was originally going to be called "All-Aces Comics" and was going to feature Cap, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, The (Golden Age) Angel, Fiery Mask, and Hurricane.

When it came time to actually publish the book, the name was All Winners Comics, and the line-up consisted of Cap, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, The (Golden Age) Angel, and Black Marvel.

By issue #2, The Angel and Black Marvel were replaced by The Whizzer and the Destroyer.

NOTE: Information was included in Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age All-Winners Vol. 1

The first issue of All Winners Comics was originally going to be called "All-Aces Comics" and was going to feature Cap, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, The (Golden Age) Angel, Fiery Mask, and Hurricane.

When it came time to actually publish the book, the name was All Winners Comics, and the line-up consisted of Cap, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, The (Golden Age) Angel, and Black Marvel.
    I love those old Golden Age ads. Thanks for posting these. I like All Winners better than All Aces. I'm glad they went with that.

Hmmm. I think a cape is a poor costume choice for a speedster like the Whizzer.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I found this interview with Alan Kupperberg who did the art chores after Frank Robbins left the original Invaders run. It's someone named Daniel Best doing the interview. It's a long one, so I'll probably post bits of it later. But here's the intro, which has more info on the Invaders' slogan.

Classic 1970s Marvel. The brainchild of Roy Thomas, the Invaders first 'appeared' in The Avengers #71 (December 1969) as part of another on-going story. Roy then used the characters again in another one-off appearance - the classic Timely trio of Captain America, Namor, the Sub-Mariner and the original Human Torch - as part of the now legendary Kree-Skrull war, which also ran in the pages of The Avengers (issues #91 through to #97). This time Roy even gave them a battle cry, straight out of Timely Comics, 'OK Axis, Here We Come,' although Roy has stated that he lifted the cry from the title of an article written by the late Don Thompson.

From there they sat in the back of Roy's mind until 1974. Finding himself at a slight loss after stepping down as Marvel Comics Editor-In-Chief, Roy revived his concept of a team of super heroes fighting in World War II and sold it to Stan Lee. Thus were born The Invaders. The genesis and the first issues of the title were covered in detail by Roy in the seminal fanzine, Alter Ego, not that long ago (Alter Ego, Vol II, #2) and in his article Roy makes mention of how he came to work with the legendary Frank Robbins on the book. Robbins had a style straight out of the Milton Caniff school and, for this book, was paired with both Vinnie Colletta and then Frank Springer. The Robbins-Springer art team was one of legend: two artists in perfect synch. More than one person failed to warm to the artists though, partly because Robbins, an old time DC artist, refused to change his style to resemble the 'generic' Marvel art of the time (John Buscema, John Romita etc). Robbins art stood out, jarringly at times, and people either loved it or hated it.
    Roy Thomas and Frank Robbins stayed with the book until issue #29. After moving to California Roy turned the book over to writer Donald Glut, and, with Robbins leaving, the art chores fell to a relative newcomer on the Marvel scene, Alan Kupperberg. Roy hasn't covered the Glut/Kupperberg issues in any great detail (to my knowledge) and recently I asked him just how it was that Kupperberg was given the book to drawn. Roy's reply was that, "I remember Alan Kupperberg's enthusiasm. He lacked some polish back then, and has developed apace since... but he always told a good story and was good to work with. He, Howard (then Howie) Chaykin, and I used to hang out together some evenings, too, when I'd separated from my first wife." This goes against the (very incorrect) theory that somehow Alan Kupperberg was assigned the art duties due to some form of nepotism. Kupperberg got the job for all the right reasons.
    Other than one fill in-issue early in the piece, Kupperberg enjoyed his longest run on a Marvel comic with The Invaders. The run latest from issue #29 through to the book's final issue #41. It's a run that is remembered fondly by readers of Bronze Age Marvels and a run that is crying out to be reprinted. Essential Invaders Vol I and II anyone?
    Recently Alan Kupperberg took time out to speak about his Invaders work.
    I'll put the link on the first page, but you can read the actual interview here:

http://www.alankupperberg.com/invaders.html

I found this interview with Alan Kupperberg who did the art chores after Frank Robbins left the original Invaders run . . .
    And in case anybody was unaware, Alan Kupperberg, who died in 2015, was the older brother of Paul Kupperberg (who also works in the comic book industry as a writer and editor).

And in case anybody was unaware, Alan Kupperberg, who died in 2015, was the older brother of Paul Kupperberg (who also works in the comic book industry as a writer and editor).
    I didn't know that until I found that interview and looked up some Alan. His brother Paul was actually an editor at DC, I believe, from 1991 - 2006.

It's sad that he Alan died in his 60s.

Probably the most memorable spread by Alan Kupperberg, the ending pages of the series.

Probably the most memorable spread by Alan Kupperberg, the ending pages of the series.

And the printed version in color:

Ah, thanks for finding the color pages, MajorHoy!

It's a great piece, but ... Vision and Yellowjacket look a little out of place on it.

. . . but ... Vision and Yellowjacket look a little out of place on it.
    Well, since they and Black Panther (also pictured) were actually instrumental in the first "modern day" (back then) appearance of The Invaders, and did appear in Annual #1, it probably made sense to include them.
    (Besides, back in the 1970s, I'm not sure a "Golden Age" Black Panther had been established yet as being as involved with the war as T'Challa's grandfather, Azzari the Wise, came to later be in retconned stories.)

Well, since they and Black Panther (also pictured) were actually instrumental in the first "modern day" (back then) appearance of The Invaders, and did appear in Annual #1, it probably made sense to include them.
    (Besides, back in the 1970s, I'm not sure a "Golden Age" Black Panther had been established yet as being as involved with the war as T'Challa's grandfather, Azzari the Wise, came to later be in retconned stories.)
    Good lord. The coloring made Black Panther look like a shadow on the rock. I didn't see him.

Yes, I was thinking that must be their "appearance in these pages."

I'm pretty sure that retcon about Azzari wasn't in place in the 70s.

Good lord. The coloring made Black Panther look like a shadow on the rock. I didn't see him.
    I think the age / quality of the comic book pages the art was scanned from was also a part of the problem.
    Comic books printed on the old newsprint stock don't age all that well.
    (I had to use the uncolored artwork you posted to find him at first.)

Another article at Marvel.com on the Invaders, which makes an article every week this month.

Marvel’s 80th Anniversary: Everything You Need to Know About the Invaders

by Ryan Penagos, who I think is Agent M?

Found this treasure hiding in the back of a cabinet. Isn't this the same image they used for the 7-11 cup?