Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default From a Golden Age: The Invaders Appreciation 2019

The Invaders were created by Roy Thomas, out of his love for the Golden Age era characters. They first appeared in Avengers 71, cover date December 1969, though they weren't called Invaders, and they only consisted of Namor the Sub-Mariner, The Original Human Torch and Captain America. But Roy did have Jim Hammond yell their battle cry "Okay Axis, Here We Come!" in this issue when they fought Yellow Jacket, Black Panther, and Vision as champions in a cosmic contest between Kang and the Grandmaster.

The Invaders sort of appeared again in Avengers 97, cover date March 1972, as heroes "summoned" by Rick Jones during the Kree-Skrull War.

They finally appeared as a team named Invaders in an origin story that appeared in Giant Sized Invaders 1, cover date June 1975, with art by Frank Robbins, inked by Vinnie Colleta. And while Churchill gives them their name in the story, according to Roy Thomas' Recollection page in Giant Sized Avengers 1:

And thus was started the Invaders first ongoing, which ran for 41 issues, an Annual and this Giant Sized issue.

=======

First posts were written by Rheged and are from the previous appreciation thread, which can be found here:

From a Golden Age: The Invaders Appreciation 2014-2018
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

RECOMMENDED READING

COLLECTED EDITIONS

Invaders Classic v1 (Collects Invaders #1-9, Giant-Size Invaders (1975) #1, and Marvel Premiere #29-30)
    Invaders Classic v2 (Collects Invaders #10-21 and Annual #1)
    Invaders Classic v3 (Collects Invaders #22-23 and #25-34)
    Invaders Classic v4 (Collects Invaders #35-41 and Invaders 1993 #1-4)
    Invaders Classic Complete Collection v1 (Collects Giant-Size Invaders #1; Invaders (1975) #1-22, Annual #1; Marvel Premiere (1972) #29-30; Avengers (1963) #71)
    Invaders Classic Complete Collection v2 (Collects Invaders (1975) #23, 25-41, Invaders (1993) #1-4, Giant-Size Invaders #2, What If? (1977) #4)

Avengers v5 Once an Invader (Collects Avengers #82-84 and Invaders #0, Avengers (1963) #71 and Invaders Annual #1! )
    New Invaders to End All Wars (Collects New Invaders #1-9 )
    Invaders Eve of Destruction (Collects Marvel Universe #1-7)
    Avengers / Invaders (Collects Avengers Invaders #1-12)
    The Torch (Collects The Torch #1-8)
    Invaders Now! (Collects Invaders Now #1-5)

All New Invaders v1 Gods and Soldiers (Collects All-New Invaders #1-5)
    All New Invaders v2 Original Sin (Collects All-New Invaders #6-10)
    All New Invaders v3 The Martians Are Coming (Collects All-New Invaders #11-15)

Secret Empire Brave New World (Collects #1-5)

Invaders v1 War Ghost (Collects #1-6)
    Invaders v2 Dead In the Water (Collects #7-12)

Namor John Byrne Visionaries v2 (Collects Namor #10-18)
    The Marvels Project (Collects The Marvels Project #1-8)
    Captain America The Man With No Face (Collects Captain America #43-48)
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2019 at 11:58 AM.

I know these intro posts need updating, and I'll get to it as soon as I can. But if there's anything else folks wanted added, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    The Invaders were created by Roy Thomas, out of his love for the Golden Age era characters. They first appeared in Avengers 71, cover date December 1969, though they weren't called Invaders, and they only consisted of Namor the Sub-Mariner, The Original Human Torch and Captain America. But Roy did have Jim Hammond yell their battle cry "Okay Axis, Here We Come!" in this issue when they fought Yellow Jacket, Black Panther, and Vision as champions in a cosmic contest between Kang and the Grandmaster.

. . .
    Back in the previous version of this appreciation thread, I did a comparison between their appearance in Avengers #71 and re-telling of that meeting that Roy Thomas later gave us in The Invaders Annual #1 (for anybody interested).

It starts with this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Part of the story in Invaders Annual #1 (1977) dealt with another look at events in Avengers #71 (December 1969) which was a bit of a genesis for an Invaders series a few years later.

Here's a comparison between the story in those two issues:

See: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation/page49
    for more (it was in two posts).

. . . The Invaders sort of appeared again in Avengers 97, cover date March 1972, as heroes "summoned" by Rick Jones during the Kree-Skrull War . . .
    That "appearance" was foreshadowed by something that happened in Avengers #92 a few issues earlier.

Here are the pages of interest, though, starting with the page from issue #92 (cover-dated September 1971).

Astonishing Member

That "appearance" was foreshadowed by something that happened in Avengers #92 a few issues earlier.

Here are the pages of interest, though, starting with the page from issue #92 (cover-dated September 1971).
    [/url]
    Is that the Heap on the 4th panel, on the bottom left?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Is that the Heap on the 4th panel, on the bottom left?
    I believe so.

In a different thread, I previously did my best to identify the non-Marvel characters shown in that panel from Avengers #92.
    Towards the bottom left side of the panel in Avengers #92 (September 1971),

it looks like the Hillman comic character The Heap.

Though it also resembles a character created for Marvel in the early 1970's: Man-Thing

Also see posts #99 (Cat-Man), #101 (Fighting Yank), #106 (Green Lama), and #107 (Fantom of the Fair) from that same thread ("Who were the OTHER Golden Age heroes?").

So that's the Heap? Always wondered who that was. The original Man-Thing apparently. I want to see a return of the Liberty Legion as well. I remember the classic Invaders vs Liberty Legion fight at Yankee Stadium.

Back in the previous version of this appreciation thread, I did a comparison between their appearance in Avengers #71 and re-telling of that meeting that Roy Thomas later gave us in The Invaders Annual #1 (for anybody interested).

It starts with this post:See: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation/page49
    for more (it was in two posts).
    I remember that! Oddly, I did enjoy seeing that Invaders. I say oddly, because I didn't care for Bendis doing it in Secret Invasion. Of course, he did so many, many, many times in multiple tie-ins, that I felt I was getting ripped off. ;p

I need to cut out that third panel in the first page. That was me as a kid.

It is kind of funny to see Rick Jones going on about the 'gray' of characters waaaaay back then and compare it to characters of today.

I also how Roy Thomas is again distinguishing that the Golden Age comics aren't 'Realies' but stories about _some_ real characters in the MU.

Looking at the old thread and trying to do some updating on this one, it occurs to me Marvel HAS tried to make the Invaders a success. Why hasn't that worked since the original? Arguably, the original probably wasn't considered a success in its time, as 41 issues back then wasn't huge, spin off numbers. But here's the list, if I haven't left anything off. Stuff without issues were set up to be mini-series.

Original Invaders 1975 - 41+issues

Invaders by Roy Thomas and Dave Hoover 1993 - 4 issues

Marvel Universe Invaders 1998 by Roger Stern and Steve Epting - 3 issues

New Invaders 2004 by Alan Jacobsen and C.P. Smith - 13 issues

The Twelve 2008

Avengers Invaders 2008 by Kruger and Ross and Sadowski

The Torch 2009 by Mike Carey and Ross and Patrick Berkenkotter

Marvels Project 2009 by Brubaker and Epting

Invaders Now! 2010 by Christos Gage and Ross and Caio Reis

Captain America the First Avenger 2011 movie

All New Invaders 2014 by James Robinson and Steve Pugh - 15 issues

Invaders 2019 by Zdarsky and Magno and Guice ????

Is what Rick Jones said in those Avengers scans true? The Invaders stories belong to a simpler age? I think most post original runs have tried to make them grittier, and more serious, instead of simply heroic. Or tried to update them.

I don't think Marvel has stinted on the creators. And with the exception of the New Invaders team, I don't recall alot of fan 'dislike' of the work.

Both All New and New Invaders tried to update and set up the Invaders in the present.

I think the first Cap movie worked well, and did well. Is that the route Invaders need to take?

Which of these runs, original excluded, was the most successful for you personally?
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-03-2019 at 04:03 PM.

. . . Is what Rick Jones said in those Avengers scans? The Invaders stories belong to a simpler age? I think most post original runs have tried to make them grittier, and more serious, instead of simply heroic. Or tried to update them.
    The morals/ the "clear-cut" good vs. bad ideas were from a simpler age. But I think the overall actions of the characters were frequently more violent and less-forgiving than they would later be portrayed as.

The morals/ the "clear-cut" good vs. bad ideas were from a simpler age. But I think the overall actions of the characters were frequently more violent and less-forgiving than they would later be portrayed as.
    Yes, because back in the 70s and even more in the 40s there were different values. Plus, the characters were hot headed and young.

I guess, I'm just wondering, how to translate the appeal of the first Cap movie into an Invaders book? Or even if that is a good way to make for a successful Invaders book? Should it go more in the Saving Private Ryan route?

Looking at the old thread and trying to do some updating on this one, it occurs to me Marvel HAS tried to make the Invaders a success. Why hasn't that worked since the original? Arguably, the original probably wasn't considered a success in its time, as 41 issues back then wasn't huge, spin off numbers. But here's the list, if I haven't left anything off. Stuff without issues were set up to be mini-series.

Original Invaders 1975 - 41+issues

Invaders by Roy Thomas and Dave Hoover 1993 - 4 issues

Marvel Universe Invaders 1998 by Roger Stern and Steve Epting - 3 issues

New Invaders 2004 by Alan Jacobsen and C.P. Smith - 13 issues

The Twelve 2008

Avengers Invaders 2008 by Kruger and Ross and Sadowski

The Torch 2009 by Mike Carey and Ross and Patrick Berkenkotter

Marvels Project 2009 by Brubaker and Epting

Invaders Now! 2010 by Christos Gage and Ross and Caio Reis

Captain America the First Avenger 2011 movie

All New Invaders 2014 by James Robinson and Steve Pugh - 15 issues

Invaders 2019 by Zdarsky and Magno and Guice ????

Is what Rick Jones said in those Avengers scans true? The Invaders stories belong to a simpler age? I think most post original runs have tried to make them grittier, and more serious, instead of simply heroic. Or tried to update them.

I don't think Marvel has stinted on the creators. And with the exception of the New Invaders team, I don't recall alot of fan 'dislike' of the work.

Both All New and New Invaders tried to update and set up the Invaders in the present.

I think the first Cap movie worked well, and did well. Is that the route Invaders need to take?

Which of these runs, original excluded, was the most successful for you personally?
    Since the original is excluded, I'll choose the 3-issues from Marvel Universe (1998). One of my favorite hidden treasures.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Since the original is excluded, I'll choose the 3-issues from Marvel Universe (1998). One of my favorite hidden treasures.
    It was definitely hidden! I remember when I found them I was stunned to see it was early Epting, who because of his work on Cap and Marvels Project, I tend to associate as an Invaders artist.