Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    To be fair, Batman Inc. doesn't have a group of Batmen. It was more Batman Family and other associates.

DC doesn't like the idea of characters sharing the mantle. Tim was Robin again, but he will change his identity soon.

That said, Stephanie could use Bat-Girl. Technically, it isn't the same name.
    Even though they had different names, they were still called "The Batman of _" like "The Batman of Japan, the Batman of Africa, etc".

But it's deeper than that. DC doesn't like the idea that some readers could like legacy characters more than the "original" characters.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Even though they had different names, they were still called "The Batman of _" like "The Batman of Japan, the Batman of Africa, etc".

But it's deeper than that. DC doesn't like the idea that some readers could like legacy characters more than the "original" characters.
    Well, I'm already to the point where I like the legacy characters over Batman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    They are easy to like.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    They are easy to like.
    That's intentional! They're supposed to be reader identification points.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

There seems to be a real hatred of the idea of a team of people sharing the same legacy, despite the extreme popularity of Batman Inc, by current (decades old) editorial policy.

There's also the really vicious arguments between fans of each of the solo-title-having Batgirls, which maybe make DC nervous about trying to attract all three.
    You mean Didio hates the idea of anyone else but Babs being Batgirl. Despite evidence proving otherwise.

The 3 fandoms fight a lot but I can't understand why. Babs is pretty much the aloof big sis to both Cass and Steph and genuinely looks out for them and cares for them and both Steph and Cass love her back. Steph and Cass are pretty much both the sisters they always wanted. Steph likes Cass for who she is, and Cass likes Steph for who she is. I can't understand the war between the 3 fandoms.

Quote Originally Posted by uchihafanboy View Post
    You mean Didio hates the idea of anyone else but Babs being Batgirl. Despite evidence proving otherwise.

The 3 fandoms fight a lot but I can't understand why. Babs is pretty much the aloof big sis to both Cass and Steph and genuinely looks out for them and cares for them and both Steph and Cass love her back. Steph and Cass are pretty much both the sisters they always wanted. Steph likes Cass for who she is, and Cass likes Steph for who she is. I can't understand the war between the 3 fandoms.
    Yeah. Pretty much.

The fandoms fight because none of them are really getting what they want, and also immaturity, sadly. It's why I think a League of Batgirls would be so good for everyone.

Extraordinary Member

There seems to be a real hatred of the idea of a team of people sharing the same legacy, despite the extreme popularity of Batman Inc, by current (decades old) editorial policy.
    The Batman Inc. book was mostly lead by Batman and written by Morrison. I don't think that you can really compare that with a Batman book. Only a few of the Inc. characters have really somewhat popular, while many are barely developed characters.

I but think they should have made the Batgirl team as the new incarnation of the Birds of Prey, the classic team has only been a pale shadow of their former glory for quite some time.

Astonishing Member

I've always liked them more than Batman. I've always more interested in the concept of Robin and Batgirl.

Stephanie as Batgirl was the reason why I enter in comics. It's a funny story.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The Batman Inc. book was mostly lead by Batman and written by Morrison. I don't think that you can really compare that with a Batman book. Only a few of the Inc. characters have really somewhat popular, while many are barely developed characters.
    Yeah. Batman Inc. isn't the book to demostrate a comic with a group sharing the secret identity can work.
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-03-2019 at 04:30 PM.

I but think they should have made the Batgirl team as the new incarnation of the Birds of Prey, the classic team has only been a pale shadow of their former glory for quite some time.
    There was a lot of speculation in my circles that Steph and Cass WERE going to be in the new Birds of Prey in Rebirth. I wasn't against the old team coming back - as a huge fan of that version, I loved it - but it would have made sense with what was going on in the Batgirl book at the time.

I feel like what you're saying about Inc doesn't really work against my argument that three Batgirls could be a really popular and good book. It's not Batman and a bunch of nobodies, it's three very popular characters working together.

Furthermore, Dick and Bruce were both Batman at the same time, and while they didn't work together a ton, they was no real concern that people couldn't love both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I've always liked them more than Batman. I've always more interested in the concept of Robin and Batgirl.

Stephanie as Batgirl was the reason why I enter in comics. It's a funny story.

Yeah. Batman Inc. isn't the book to demostrate a comic with a group sharing the secret identity can work.
    While it was Birds of Prey that really hooked me into comics, Steph as Batgirl is probably a huge reason why I've stayed.

I think that Batman Inc actually shows that such a concept can work, with good writing - even moreso because unlike Batman and the other Batmen, all three Batgirls are popular.

Extraordinary Member

There was a lot of speculation in my circles that Steph and Cass WERE going to be in the new Birds of Prey in Rebirth. I wasn't against the old team coming back - as a huge fan of that version, I loved it - but it would have made sense with what was going on in the Batgirl book at the time.
    I like the original Birds of Prey too, but similarly to the original Titans, the more recent incarnations have not been that great.

I feel like what you're saying about Inc doesn't really work against my argument that three Batgirls could be a really popular and good book. It's not Batman and a bunch of nobodies, it's three very popular characters working together.

Furthermore, Dick and Bruce were both Batman at the same time, and while they didn't work together a ton, they was no real concern that people couldn't love both of them.
    But it is also not an Argumant for it. It had been shown in the past that Batman can on his own sell up to 4 solo books at the same time. And at least the post flashpoint incarnation of the book was pretty focused on Batman and his fight against Levianthan, with the Inc. The other guys only playing a minor role (that Major supporting characters were iirc Dick, Damian and Jason). And pre flashpoint the book only ran for 8 issues.

I like the original Birds of Prey too, but similarly to the original Titans, the more recent incarnations have not been that great.

But it is also not an Argumant for it. It had been shown in the past that Batman can on his own sell up to 4 solo books at the same time. And at least the post flashpoint incarnation of the book was pretty focused on Batman and his fight against Levianthan, with the Inc. The other guys only playing a minor role (that Major supporting characters were iirc Dick, Damian and Jason). And pre flashpoint the book only ran for 8 issues.
    Well. I think the series would have a good chance of selling quite well, especially if they put a serious writer on it (I know Simone wants to do it, but I kinda dread her putting Tiffany Fox in it - I love the Foxes, but the way she was written in the Future's End one-shot was definitely one of the weakest parts of that story).

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Well. I think the series would have a good chance of selling quite well, especially if they put a serious writer on it (I know Simone wants to do it, but I kinda dread her putting Tiffany Fox in it - I love the Foxes, but the way she was written in the Future's End one-shot was definitely one of the weakest parts of that story).
    Yes, with Simone you get the bad with the good. I've noticed she tends to expand groups as she goes. Birds of Prey eventually became a clown car on her watch. But you take what you can get. And that Future's End one-shot was generally fun.

Amazing Member

I never known she was someone of the Fox family ,i always thought that she was the black little girl who was a recurring character in Stephanie's run (and her future sidekick)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post
    Yes, with Simone you get the bad with the good. I've noticed she tends to expand groups as she goes. Birds of Prey eventually became a clown car on her watch. But you take what you can get. And that Future's End one-shot was generally fun.
    I don't mind expanding groups. Actually, the final arc of Birds of Prey under Simone, in which she added a ton of rotating members, was pretty good. But her second run on the title was really a mess (2010-2011), only getting better when she buckled down to telling individual character stories and then tying it to a villain she established in Secret Six.

I've been a little bit annoyed that Simone never really included Steph in the Birds, but that was mitigated a lot by having both Babs and Dinah mourn Steph after War Games.

Quote Originally Posted by mib86 View Post
    I never known she was someone of the Fox family ,i always thought that she was the black little girl who was a recurring character in Stephanie's run (and her future sidekick)
    See, if she WERE Nell, I would have been so pumped! But even though I really like Luke Fox and enjoyed his run as Batwing, I really didn't enjoy Tiffany - she felt way too "implausible kid genius" and out of place in both Batwing and the Future's End stories. Tam - smart, but plausibly struggling junior exec at Wayne Enterprises - felt a lot more rounded. Sadly, she wasn't available at the time (but Tynion brought her back in Tec! Hooray!). But seriously, what would have been wrong with Nell?

Yeah. Pretty much.

The fandoms fight because none of them are really getting what they want, and also immaturity, sadly. It's why I think a League of Batgirls would be so good for everyone.
    The way that DC Comics currently is, only a small hand of people are getting what they want. It's leaving everyone feeling angry and upset at the bullshit. Didio hates legacy characters and that is that. It's depressing to read.
    I'm at that point too, I mean I love Batman, but I love Robin and Batgirl even more. This never ending shitting on legacy characters is only making my heart desire for them to outshine their mentors even more.