Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

In fact, he doesn't remember the details. The “recap” two-parter where Superman summarized the new continuity was phrased in terms of fading memories and trying to record things before he forgot them. In particular, Conner was excised from his memories of the Reign of the Supermen. I suspect that Young Justice is going to be doing something about that, too.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Now what is going on with the Detective variant covers? Is this just Mark Brooks "art" unrelated to the stories inside, which is the Arkham Knight story?

#1003b features Barbara, Zatanna, and what looks like Tim to me, and other Bat family characters. (But Barbara is in her New 52 costume I think.)

The upcoming #1004b looks like Tim and Zatanna again, Selina, Batwoman, and I think Tim and Huntress, and hmmm, a hooded figure in a full mask. Everything is colored in the same orange hue on these covers, but I'd swear that character is also wearing Spoiler's gloves (at least as drawn on Kris Anka's Young Justice cover).

Probably no relation to the interior, but nevertheless, someone is thinking of Steph? Unless some other character wears similar gloves, hood and mask.
    It is Steph - I am still struggling with getting it, since I don't really want to get both (because I'm not enjoying the story), but I do like to buy variants with Steph on them.

Here's what Brooks posted about the cover: https://twitter.com/MarkBrooksArt/st...43246129459207
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    It is Steph - I am still struggling with getting it, since I don't really want to get both (because I'm not enjoying the story), but I do like to buy variants with Steph on them.

Here's what Brooks posted about the cover: https://twitter.com/MarkBrooksArt/st...43246129459207
    Absolutely love that cover!

Incredible Member

Ah, thanks! I never find out about connecting covers until it's too late, so I end up choosing the main cover for some issues, the variant for another. Someone tells me later.

The solicitations rarely mention that the covers are connecting. And you have to pre-order in advance, especially variant covers. So how does DC expect people to find out in time to put in orders? Surely they don't rely on creators' Tweets to do all the marketing for them.

Personally, I would have used a different roster. As much as I love Tim, we don't need two of him: one Tim and one Damian would have been better. While I like Zatanna, there are literally over a half-dozen others who are more deserving of a spot in a Bat-family portrait. Helena, too, only less so. Were I don't the choosing, I'd start with Alfred and Gordon, then the Robins and Batgirls. After that, you can start looking at the likes of (in no particular order) Batwoman, Duke, Huntress, Azrael, Batwing or some other representative of the former Batman Inc. (Squire, maybe?), Zatanna, and so on, to fill in the remaining available spots.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Ah, thanks! I never find out about connecting covers until it's too late, so I end up choosing the main cover for some issues, the variant for another. Someone tells me later.

The solicitations rarely mention that the covers are connecting. And you have to pre-order in advance, especially variant covers. So how does DC expect people to find out in time to put in orders? Surely they don't rely on creators' Tweets to do all the marketing for them.
    I saw it first in DC Previews, so I knew it was connecting. I do wonder what normal, non crazy fans (I literally enter my comics into my google calendar every time they are solicited so I know what my budget will be ) do about variants and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Personally, I would have used a different roster. As much as I love Tim, we don't need two of him: one Tim and one Damian would have been better. While I like Zatanna, there are literally over a half-dozen others who are more deserving of a spot in a Bat-family portrait. Helena, too, only less so. Were I don't the choosing, I'd start with Alfred and Gordon, then the Robins and Batgirls. After that, you can start looking at the likes of (in no particular order) Batwoman, Duke, Huntress, Azrael, Batwing or some other representative of the former Batman Inc. (Squire, maybe?), Zatanna, and so on, to fill in the remaining available spots.
    I didn't think it was Tim twice - I thought the one on the left (1003) was Damian, while the one of the right (1004) is Tim in his n52 Red Robin costume. The choice of costumes is weird all around - Steph has her Rebirth mid-phase suit with the full mask, but Tim has his Red Robin n52 suit, Catwoman is the new Joelle Jones design, Batman seems to be semi-n52, Batgirl is the original n52, not even the Burnside costume, and Helena is PRE-FLASHPOINT. Like...what is happening, Brooks?

All that being said, I do like it, and I'm tempted to get both, even though the only two characters I really want 1003 for are Jim Gordon and Helena.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Incredible Member

Cool

I saw it first in DC Previews, so I knew it was connecting. I do wonder what normal, non crazy fans (I literally enter my comics into my google calendar every time they are solicited so I know what my budget will be ) do about variants and such.
    I check out as much as I can see through previewsworld.com, and double check the solicits here and newsarama. Keep track of it all in Notes with a checkbox for each which I can check off when I buy the comic. Cause face it - this is a hard business and we can't leave these things to chance

For some reason CBR put out no July 2019 for DC. It's too bad, because their listings are easier to deal with than newsarama - the URL is consistent, just change the month (the newsarama URL will include what appears to be a random number each month), and each CBR solicit page has links back to older months. And then I give my pre-orders, including what cover I want, to my comic book shop, using the short order form, or by printing some pages of the full order form PDF and checking the boxes.

I didn't think it was Tim twice - I thought the one on the left (1003) was Damian, while the one of the right (1004) is Tim in his n52 Red Robin costume. The choice of costumes is weird all around - Steph has her Rebirth mid-phase suit with the full mask, but Tim has his Red Robin n52 suit, Catwoman is the new Joelle Jones design, Batman seems to be semi-n52, Batgirl is the original n52, not even the Burnside costume, and Helena is PRE-FLASHPOINT. Like...what is happening, Brooks?

All that being said, I do like it, and I'm tempted to get both, even though the only two characters I really want 1003 for are Jim Gordon and Helena.
    #1003 is Damian? It's not his long coat and he looks much older, and does Damian wield a bo stick? I didn't realize these were connecting covers, and also thought it was Tim twice.

Has anyone created a costume history page for Damian that can even remotely compare to the one you and your predecessor have done for Steph?

In the tweets that were cited, the artist indicated that it was Tim twice.
    Rogue wears rouge.

I check out as much as I can see through previewsworld.com, and double check the solicits here and newsarama. Keep track of it all in Notes with a checkbox for each which I can check off when I buy the comic. Cause face it - this is a hard business and we can't leave these things to chance

For some reason CBR put out no July 2019 for DC. It's too bad, because their listings are easier to deal with than newsarama - the URL is consistent, just change the month (the newsarama URL will include what appears to be a random number each month), and each CBR solicit page has links back to older months. And then I give my pre-orders, including what cover I want, to my comic book shop, using the short order form, or by printing some pages of the full order form PDF and checking the boxes.

#1003 is Damian? It's not his long coat and he looks much older, and does Damian wield a bo stick? I didn't realize these were connecting covers, and also thought it was Tim twice.

Has anyone created a costume history page for Damian that can even remotely compare to the one you and your predecessor have done for Steph?
    As far as I know, there's no Robin wikia. Likely because Steph is manageable for two to four people to create a wikia for, with just 366 issues (so far, per my tagging - I need to double check on that soon). Robin has thousands.

Nice system you have to track things! We cannot leave things to chance indeed!

Huh. That's odd. I headcanon that it's Damian. )

Incredible Member

Maybe I missed a tweet of his, but in

https://twitter.com/MarkBrooksArt/st...43246129459207

It looks to me like a couple of the people who replied to Mark observed that it was two Tims, but Mark never responded to confirm that. On the other hand, nobody told those people that they were wrong.

Maybe there was some other tweet from him.

I'm pretty sure that one of his tweets included a list of characters that he would have liked to include, but didn't; and Damian was in that list.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Two Tims and no Damian sounds perfect to me. Strange mix of costumes though.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Anyhow (and a repeated request that if you dislike a character, please don't attack them or fans of that character in this thread), despite all the strangeness about the cover's costumes and choices, I'm still very interested in getting at least 1004 for Steph.

Incredible Member

Anyhow (and a repeated request that if you dislike a character, please don't attack them or fans of that character in this thread), despite all the strangeness about the cover's costumes and choices, I'm still very interested in getting at least 1004 for Steph.
    In July, 21 titles will have a designated tie-in to Year of the Villain, including Detective #1008, Batman #75, and Batman and the Outsiders #3. (YOTV will have already started in Justice League, and arguably we are already in the prelude to the story.)

So at least for now, DC's strategy is working on me, as I'm already buying more books than usual including several Batman titles. It's impossible to know in advance which event tie-ins are more important, and which are easily skipped.

In July, 21 titles will have a designated tie-in to Year of the Villain, including Detective #1008, Batman #75, and Batman and the Outsiders #3. (YOTV will have already started in Justice League, and arguably we are already in the prelude to the story.)

So at least for now, DC's strategy is working on me, as I'm already buying more books than usual including several Batman titles. It's impossible to know in advance which event tie-ins are more important, and which are easily skipped.
    Always the case, isn't it? Even if a character like Steph is on the cover, doesn't mean she is in the issue itself (though obviously with Young Justice that was not the case )