Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Appreciation 2019

Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Appreciation 2019

Last edited by Spiderfang; 01-16-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Collected Editions

The Original 70's Clone Saga
    * Spider-Man: The Original Clone Saga (Collects Spider-Man #139-150, Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #25-31, #149, #162-163 and Annual #8)

The 90's Clone Saga
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic, Book 1 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #394, Spectacular Spider-Man #217, Spider-Man #51-53, Spider-Man Unlimited #7, Web of Spider-Man #117-119, Spider-Man: The Lost Years #1-3)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic, Book 2 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #395-399, Spectacular Spider-Man #218-221, Spider-Man #54-56, Spider-Man Unlimited #8, Web of Spider-Man #120-122, Spider-Man: Funeral for an Octopus #1-3)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic, Book 3 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #400-401, Super Special, Spectacular Spider-Man #222-224, Super Special, Spider-Man #57-58, Super Special, Spider-Man Unlimited #9, Web of Spider-Man #123-124, Super Special, Spider-Man: The Clone Journal, Venom Super Special)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic, Book 4 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #402-404, Spectacular Spider-Man #225-227, Spider-Man #59-61, Web of Spider-Man #125-127, New Warriors #61, Spider-Man: The Jackal Files, Spider-Man: Maximum Clonage Alpha, Omega)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic, Book 5 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man Super Special; Spider-Man Super Special; Venom Super Special, Spectacular Spider-Man Super Special, Web of Spider-Man Super Special, New Warriors #62, Web of Spider-Man #128-129, Amazing Spider-Man #405-406, Spider-Man #62-63, Spider-Man Unlimited #10, Spectacular Spider-Man #228-229, Spider-Man Team-Up #1)

Ben Reilly as Spider-Man
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 1 (Collects Spider-Man: The Parker Years; New Warriors #65-66; Scarlet Spider Unlimited #1; Web of Scarlet Spider #1-2; Amazing Scarlet Spider #1-2; Scarlet Spider #1-2; Spectacular Scarlet Spider #1-2; Green Goblin #3; and Sensational Spider-Man #0 and Mini-Comic)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 2 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #407-408; New Warriors #67; Sensational Spider-Man #1; Spectacular Spider-Man #230; Spider-Man #64-65; Spider-Man/Punisher: Family Plot #1-2; Web of Scarlet Spider #3-4, and material from Spider-Man Holiday Special and Venom: Along Came a Spider #1-4)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 3 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #409-410; Sensational Spider-Man #2-3; Spectacular Spider-Man #231-233; Spider-Man #66-67; Spider-Man: The Final Adventure #1-4; Spider-Man Team-Up #2; Spider-Man Unlimited #11)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 4 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #411-413; Daredevil #354; Sensational Spider-Man #4-6; Spectacular Spider-Man #234; Spider-Man #68-70; Spider-Man: Redemption #1-4; Spider-Man Unlimited #12, Spider-Man Team-Up #3)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 5 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #414-416, material from Annual '96; Sensational Spider-Man #7-10; Spectacular Spider-Man #235-239; Spider-Man #71-72; Spider-Man Team-Up #4; Spider-Man Unlimited #13)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 6 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #417-418; Sensational Spider-Man #11; Spectacular Spider-Man #240-241; Spider-Man #73-75; Spider-Man Team-Up #5; Spider-Man Unlimited #14; Spider-Man: Revelations Extra Pages; Spider-Man: The Osborn Journal #1; 101 ways to end the Clone Saga #1; Spider-Man: Dead Man's Hand #1)

Scarlet Spider (Kaine)
    * Scarlet Spider Vol. 4: Into the Grave (Collects Scarlet Spider #21-25)

Dead No More; The Clone Conspiracy
    * Spider-Man: The Clone Conspiracy (Collects Amazing Spider-Man 19-24; The Clone Conspiracy 1-5; The Clone Conspiracy: Omega; Silk 14-17; Prowler 1-5; Material from Free Comic Book Day 2016 (Captain America) 1)

Ben Reilly as Scarlet Spider
    * Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Vol. 1: Back in the Hood (Collects Scarlet Spider #1-6)
    * Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Vol. 2: Death's Sting (Collects Scarlet Spider #7-10)
    * Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Vol. 3: Slingers Return (Collects Scarlet Spider #11-14)
    * Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Vol. 4: Damnation (Collects Scarlet Spider #15-20)
    * Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Vol. 5: Deal with the Devil (Collects Scarlet Spider #21-25)

Team Event(s)
    *Spider-Verse (Appearances; Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3 #9, Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3 #10, Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3 #11, Spider-Verse Vol. 1, Spider-Verse Team up Vol. 1, Scarlet Spider Vol. 1, Scarlet Spiders Vol. 2, Scarlet Spiders Vol. 3,
    * Spiddergeddon!
    Last edited by Spiderfang; 01-02-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Default Useful sites

The Life of Reilly (Ben Reilly Tribute)

Wiki Entry (Ben's Marvel Wiki page)

Marvel.com Bio

Comicvine Bio

Spider-Man The Animated Series; Origin of the Scarlet Spider

Last edited by Spiderfang; 01-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Thanks for bringing this thread back. Now that Spider-Geddon is over and has thankfully fixed the damage wrought by The Clone Conspiracy, any hopes for Ben Reilly in the future, or should Marvel let him rest until a writer comes along with a great idea that doesn't completely screw him over as a character?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks for bringing this thread back. Now that Spider-Geddon is over and has thankfully fixed the damage wrought by The Clone Conspiracy, any hopes for Ben Reilly in the future, or should Marvel let him rest until a writer comes along with a great idea that doesn't completely screw him over as a character?
    Let 'em live I say. Scarlet Spiders sounds like a good direction to go in, or maybe put him in a team? Either way, Marvel DON'T KILL HIM OFF!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Let 'em live I say. Scarlet Spiders sounds like a good direction to go in, or maybe put him in a team? Either way, Marvel DON'T KILL HIM OFF!!
    Agreed, especially on the bolded and underlined. As for a team, I'd say bring back the New Warriors.

Agreed, especially on the bolded and underlined. As for a team, I'd say bring back the New Warriors.
    Well the Slingers have already been established to still be a thing so why not put Ben & Kaine with them?

Well the Slingers have already been established to still be a thing so why not put Ben & Kaine with them?
    That works, too.

The Life of Reilly (Ben Reilly Tribute)
    ]
    the tribute page hasn't been updated, pretty much since the early days of latest self titled. wonder what's up
    troo fan or death

Incredible Member

Definitely let him rest until they have somebody who actually wants to write the character not some way out there extreme take of what they think he should be (not saying there's not room for change with the character but what PAD & Marvel tried with this last volume was too much of a departure from what I think most of us were introduced to & grew with during the 90's)

Amazing Member

A new Slingers title with Ben, Kaine and the original 4 Slingers (new Hornet of course) and a a rotating cast member solar to the Heroes For Hire concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Clone View Post
    A new Slingers title with Ben, Kaine and the original 4 Slingers (new Hornet of course) and a a rotating cast member solar to the Heroes For Hire concept.
    The resurrection of Eddie McDonough is a must!!!

No substitutes necessary!!!

(But yeah -- a Slingers title with Ben and Kaine added to the team would pretty much make my life complete.)

-Pav, who wants artwork from their team-up in BR:SS...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

if they bring Ben and Kaine back in a book, they should start by revisiting the Lost Years. Follow up with Elizabeth/Janine, Jacob Raven, maybe a street level story where they clean house on the Salt Lake City mob. Go back to the roots, but still acknowledge how the characters have grown since then, and get Ben back on the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    if they bring Ben and Kaine back in a book, they should start by revisiting the Lost Years. Follow up with Elizabeth/Janine, Jacob Raven, maybe a street level story where they clean house on the Salt Lake City mob. Go back to the roots, but still acknowledge how the characters have grown since then, and get Ben back on the right path.
    Definitely. Revisit The Lost Years and its sequel Spider-Man: Redemption. I even have an idea for the title --- Scarlet Spiders: Atonement. And speaking of Elizabeth/Janine, given that MC2 had her as the mother of Ben's child, who sadly inherited Ben's clone degeneration problems, I'd love to see that adapted into the 616 continuity, with Ben becoming a family man and resolving to be there for her and their child. (At least if the 616 canon will never let Peter be married with child, we could have Ben with Elizabeth/Janine and their child.)

Astonishing Member

(At least if the 616 canon will never let Peter be married with child, we could have Ben with Elizabeth/Janine and their child.)
    That’s such an interesting spin on the old 90s dynamic, since at the time of the Clone Saga it was intended for Peter to be married family guy and Ben to be the single guy.

What do you guys think for writers? I like PAD in general, but I never want to see him write Ben again. He just wasn’t a good fit. I have a few different ideas, depending on the approach. If we are going a bit dark then JM DeMatteis or Chris Yost. Personally though, I’m in the mood for a more lighthearted run now that his psyche damage has been undone. I think Todd Dezago wrote one of the most underrated runs of all time with Sensational Spider-Man in the 90s, especially when Ben was around. He really had a good handle on Ben’s character and his stories were infused with a sense of fun and energy (unfortunately his artist collaborator Mike Wieringo is sadly gone, but we could get Todd Nauck on pencils for a similar look). He also knows more about Ben’s history than someone like PAD who didn’t seem aware of much. Another option is Dan Jurgens, who wrote some great Ben stories as well in his short time on Sensational. But I doubt he’d do it, as he ironically hates the character even though his stories with the Ben and Jessica dynamic are some of the best from the Spider-Ben era. What do the rest of you guys think? Do you agree we should get an original clone saga writer back to do a new SS ongoing?