Page 88 of 145 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2172
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The frog isn't actually a frog, he's a human prince who was turned into a frog. The movie was based on the Frog Prince fair tale. Also, Belle did have a handsome prince waiting for her, he was just under a temporary spell that made him not so handsome.
    Did Princess Tiana get a handsome Black prince in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Did Princess Tiana get a handsome Black prince in the end?
    From google think latino Eric from the little mermaid, literally

and from wiki apparently the writers went into saying "this is a movie for people who don't like princes movies." so basically they went into it with an unsure formula as well. The whole point of disney princess movies is because people want to watch disney princess movies.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

My two cents to the question is perhaps stereotyping.Have guys ever wondered why the black male Xman bishop was portrayed as coming from slavery in a
    dystopian concentration camp future where you had to kill to survive? That to me just screams of hood culture being transferred to comics.I mean for a large part of the comics he is portrayed as a tunnel visioned assassin, coming from a dark future of enslavement of mutantdom into the past echoing actual slavery past in American history. I think that is what I see as the story that sold back then.

was kind of off topic. lol
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-03-2020 at 07:12 AM. Reason: see post.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    And what message does it also send to young girls of color. Admittedly I have not seen it because I refuse to watch but it feels like the message is every white girl has a handsome prince out there just waiting for them (Belle excluded) but hey black girls maybe there's some little creature out there waiting for you to turn him into a prince. Like really.
    I must have seen only the end of this movie. At the end, the heroin opens a restaurant. So what is the message? “Don’t despair, you too, you can open a restaurant and be happy?” This is America, the land of opportunities…?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member

From google think latino Eric from the little mermaid, literally

and from wiki apparently the writers went into saying "this is a movie for people who don't like princes movies." so basically they went into it with an unsure formula as well. The whole point of disney princess movies is because people want to watch disney princess movies.
    Exactly.

Stuff like Shrek is the anti-Disney princess movie

Astonishing Member

Very true but given Disney"s history with racial insensitivity in the past it felt like a shots fired moment to me. Why couldn't the chick in frozen be black? Nope let's how our first black princess kiss an animal and a big lipped frog at that. But I can admit sometimes in a little too woke but in this case I'm pretty sure the insult was intended. Then to top it off they went and tried to whitewash ol girl when they did that sleep over thing like "if we lighten her up she will be more acceptable." Rather than thinking " weeeellll maybe the premise played a part."
    You're not being too woke. It's perfectly fine to question why the first black Disney princess had to be based on a European fairytale, be a disgusting animal for a good bit of the film, and end up with a non-black prince. Not all attempts at diversity are well done or have the best optics.

Which ties back to the X-Men and the unfortunate tendency for black males to be made less appealing than their white counterparts. When so many of them are freakish looking and overly passive it's no surprise they don't take off.
    Last edited by chief12d; 08-03-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    A story? About who? That's where it gets interesting. Everyone Marvel's hired as a writer has had the ability to write a decent story... the question is about who? For example: writer A might be able to make a story about Thor and Amora having dinner in a tavern a riveting tale. throw on a good artist and get sales. Having that same writer try to write the mis-adventures of Rage and Power Man in Harlem? Might not work as well.
    Guess it just depends on what story you wanna tell, and what is available, I get your point but maybe look to see if a writer has told/is good at thought out stories featuring people who dont like like the writer...when doling out books that feature a diverse cast
    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Your last passage killed it! You hire the type of writers and editors that are talented and of a mind for creating amazing art and stories. With that being said using Bishop, or Cyclops shouldn't even matter. No reason under the sun a great X-men story can't be centered around a Synch, Bishop, and even a Jesse Bedlam and be great.
    Ha! thanks man!
    And you Right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    My two cents to the question is perhaps stereotyping.Have guys ever wondered why the black male Xman bishop was portrayed as coming from slavery in a
    dystopian concentration camp future where you had to kill to survive? That to me just screams of hood culture being transferred to comics.I mean for a large part of the comics he is portrayed as a tunnel visioned assassin, coming from a dark future of enslavement of mutantdom into the past echoing actual slavery past in American history. I think that is what I see as the story that sold back then.
    Uh when was Bishop a slave?

And what message does it also send to young girls of color. Admittedly I have not seen it because I refuse to watch but it feels like the message is every white girl has a handsome prince out there just waiting for them (Belle excluded) but hey black girls maybe there's some little creature out there waiting for you to turn him into a prince. Like really.
    I don't pretend to understand girls, much less YGOC but after seeing what the ads/media they are bombarded with, I'd consider it lucky if they are into Disney's Princess and he Frog movie :/
    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Which ties back to the X-Men and the unfortunate tendency for black males to be made less appealing than their white counterparts. When so many of them are freakish looking and overly passive it's no surprise they don't take off.
    Ummm which ones of the 'many' are freakish looking? Or Passive?
    They X-men don't have enough black dudes for ANYthing relating to them be a tendency lol
    Last edited by BroHomo; 08-03-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

ooops! my bad
    GrindrStone(D)

Bishop as he started out was a ridged, the numbers, militaristic styled cop responsible for policing powerful, violently criminal mutants. In his youth his family fled persecution for being mutant but he was never a slave. Many governments decided to let mutants develop their own systems of society and policing. There was some trash retcon a few years back. Yeah, IGNORE all that hot mess!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Bishop as he started out was a ridged, the numbers, militaristic styled cop responsible for policing powerful, violently criminal mutants. In his youth his family fled persecution for being mutant but he was never a slave. Many governments decided to let mutants develop their own systems of society and policing. There was some trash retcon a few years back. Yeah, IGNORE all that hot mess!
    I did not mean he was a slave but there are plenty stories depicting collared , or prisoner mutants in a future where he is from. Those mutants are depicted doing hard labour ,so it's a different way of portraying servitude if you don't want to use the word slavery, but it is still the same condition

Extraordinary Member

I mean, as far as those futures go, can anything be as bad as Rachel being dog collared and forced to sniff out other mutants. Bishop never had to suffer that humiliation.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 08-03-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I mean, as far as those futures go, can anything be as bad as Rachel being dog collared and forced to sniff out other mutants. Bishop never had the suffer that humiliation.

i consider women minorities. At least for me. To think if you think about the history of this country how insulting must it be for women to realize black men got rights before them after all that supporting they mens they did. Sometimes i'm too much of a feminist though. That white women voting for Trump still hurts my soul. I'm usually Black women- Women- Black, Black men, in the order of who needs to be treated fairly and that one still hurts so much.

now im black women- black-black men- women- and so on.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

So no stories that put minorities or women into terrible positions of pain, humiliation, indignity or servitude... that’s a bit limiting in terms of story potential, no? I say that as a huge Wolverine fan. Take away those things and you’d pretty much take away all the things that make him popular. Namely his overcoming those situations. I get where you’re coming from, but you might want to think through how you’d be limiting the character arcs of these characters and actually holding them back in the doing of it. Assuming you were to institute some editorial mandate prohibiting the putting of minorities and women through the proverbial ringer in terms of origin stories and/or situations.

I did not mean he was a slave but there are plenty stories depicting collared , or prisoner mutants in a future where he is from. Those mutants are depicted doing hard labour ,so it's a different way of portraying servitude if you don't want to use the word slavery, but it is still the same condition
    In fairness though he did arrive from that future with Malcom and Randall (and Trevor Fitzroy) so it was a shared distant future they all had. Speaking of, we need Shard back but I'm not sure if Sinister could possibly have her DNA.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!