Page 47 of 145 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post

There's also no real reason why Xavier or Magneto have to be white guys.
    You mean besides the whole Holocaust-thing, right? The characters by code name dont need to be white, but the characters would have to go through extensive reworks, especially Magneto. Its not impossible, but the reason is there if they don't want to use the traditional backgrounds. Just wouldn't work logically.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Does that mean there is no racism in the western world? Obviously not. The rise of white suprematist groups, the innocent black people killed by policeman etc. are proof enough of black racism being real in America. That others countries, some of the more underdeveloped ones based on your link, have it worst than us doesn’t make it better for black people living in the USA. If people of your ethnicity were killed randomly would you make it feel better if someone told you “well, at least you don’t live in Lebanon, it’s worst there.”?
    So as to not get too off-topic, I'll just briefly mention African-American attorney Larry Elder's critical analysis in regards to how race relations aren't as bad as some people think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycW42VCTY10

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    That's just it. MCU will make either Xavier or Magneto a person of color just like they made Nick Fury Black.
    You mean, creating an alternate version which the movies can later adapt? Because the Samuel L. Jackson Nick Fury is based on the 2001 Nick Fury from the Ultimate Universe.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 12-15-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Yikes... here we go again. Can we just skip over Wallstreeter’s Blackneto suggestion and maybe leap into a conversation about the MCU absent of Xavier v Magneto? Cause it’s exhausting.

That said, I DO expect a few liberties to be taken with casting, but it’s far more easier just choose a ANAD cast with more color. Storm’s a shoe-in, and with movie markets being what they are, I see Jubilee replacing Kitty as the POV ingenue. I’d love for Crews’ Bedlam to reappear as a Krakoan casualty, and I’m on board with a Frenzy appearance as a leader of a brotherhood.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    You and I tend to disagree on most things Coates related. I absolutely loved BP&C. I thoroughly agree and endorse the rest of your post tho.

I laugh at people bitter and afraid at the idea of a team of ALL DIVERSE BLACK MUTANTS from across the diaspora. It's almost like some believe their right to interracial relationships is under assault whenever the idea of all black mutants is brought up.

I guess our shared bias for an all black mutant tone is on a different wave. The idea just hits different, y'know? That's just me tho...
    We actually disagree on all things Coates and Black Panther related, point blank period.

That however does not prevent me from appreciating you as a genuinely friendly and civil poster.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I didn't say that? I have zero problem with a white writer heading a book of black characters. I think I wrote a rather long post about writers needing to be more creative and not boiled down to a single aspect of their person. And hey, if you think the concept that was Black Panther and Crew was sound, more power to you. Have an opinion by all means.
    On the contrary, I detest everything and anything written by Coates in relation to the Black Panther mythos.

Coates, Black Panther & The Crew book was an ill thought out and presented book that went nowhere and did nothing of wort for any of the characters featured, least of all the primary character whose name was used to sell it in the first place.

Like yourself, I also feel that the ethnicity of a writer doesn't even come into question when their writing comes from an open minded place.

Is Match black?

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
    Apologies if this has been answered, but how many Black X characters are from the US (excluding Hispanic, Latino, and Caribbean characters.).

Assuming Bishop still of Australian descent, are Synch and Prodigy the only ones?
    Yuuuuuup I had a WTF moment when I realized this. After that sh!t retcon Synch was dead, Prodigy depowered there were ZEROA prominent AA mutants of the male gender like whhaaaat!?!? But hey it's better now! Here in 2019 25 years after the first AA male X-Man debuted were. ARE. STILL. AT. MotherEFFin ONE! With the return of Synch #smGDh
    That's awesome. Sounds like you started comics way before I did. I didn't start reading comics until my sophomore year of high school. Storm was already married. Before that I was only exposed to the X-Men through the 90's cartoon, Evolution, the godawful FOX-men and a bunch of video games. If it wasn't for the huge impression Storm left on me I wouldn't have much interest in the X-Men because there really are no prominent men that look like me.
    Ha yeah my mom was into comics a lil growing up. I was being ESPECIALLY bratty one day my frustrated Mom gave me a box of some of her old ass stuff I found some comics and read them ragged including an original debut of the ANAD X-Men.....
    My Bad Mom
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Is Match black?
    He was on the Dark Phx movie.. Some folks way back in the new xmen era speculated that he could be while others said he appeared white in an issue when his powers where shut off.. I never saw that issue so I can speak to the validity of it.

Yeah he showed up white in a small role of a Wolverine solo issue but I don't want to post it because I think we should collectively ignore it and pretend he’s black anyway. Just draw him black like they did with Heimdall sort of kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yuuuuuup I had a WTF moment when I realized this. After that sh!t retcon Synch was dead, Prodigy depowered there were ZEROA prominent AA mutants of the male gender like whhaaaat!?!? But hey it's better now! Here in 2019 25 years after the first AA male X-Man debuted were. ARE. STILL. AT. MotherEFFin ONE! With the return of Synch #smGDh
    I didn’t see the concern... till just now. And I’ve been reading since Extinction Agenda.

I get Triage is possibly AA (don’t know enough about him)... but still... odd.

Bishop- Indigenous Australian Descent but born in America
    Synch-is from St. Louis, Missouri.
    Prodigy- is from Chicago(hyde park),Illinois
    Triage- was first seen Ann Arbor Michigan
    Darwin- I believe is from New York(?)
    Bedlam- is American
    Tag- American (Puerto Rican descent)

Maggot- South African
    Gentle- Wakandan
    Sunspot-Brazilian
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-15-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

What a glorious man! Why don't I know more about him?
    The age old common trope of powerful Black men getting killed off is likely why you didn't know anything about him. He's back now, kind of, but an entire generation of readers was lost. Who knows how things would have turned out had they kept Synch alive and actively engaged in the MU.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
    I didn’t see the concern... till just now. And I’ve been reading since Extinction Agenda.

I get Triage is possibly AA (don’t know enough about him)... but still... odd.
    Triage died in pre Hickman Uncanny yet to be seen resurrected.
    Prodigy depowered...
    Sooooo Synch you're still our one and only
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Triage died in pre Hickman Uncanny yet to be seen resurrected.
    Prodigy depowered...
    Sooooo Synch you're still our one and only
    Laughable isn't it? In 2019 we have no writers of skill and/or agency to write and incorporate a powerful black male mutant? Yet people laud these writers as the cream of the crop, and this medium as progressive. The themes that are so fundamental to X-Men are euphemisms for race, but yet so blind to it now to the point we can't seem to get a single black male of any kind of prominence.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Laughable isn't it? In 2019 we have no writers of skill and/or agency to write and incorporate a powerful black male mutant? Yet people laud these writers as the cream of the crop, and this medium as progressive. The themes that are so fundamental to X-Men are euphemisms for race, but yet so blind to it now to the point we can't seem to get a single black male of any kind of prominence.
    ...is that a purifier as your avatar? lol
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.