Page 138 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2172

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's not as simple as just deciding to use this PoC here or inserting that Black character there and they will sudenly be the best and most beloved characrers ever. And it's even more complex when it's a team book. A writer has to be competent. Look at Black Panther or Fallen Angels...both writers focused on PoC and those books were tragic messes and misses. Even Ewing's Mighty "Black" Avengers, with Blue Marvel, Monica Rambeau and America Chavez, wasn't the commercial success (the most important criteria) it could and should have been. Why was that?

And most of the times, it's the readers themselves who are to blame/decide the "fate" of the characters...look at the backlash/lack of interest in Vita's CotA...a book featuring CoC written by PoC... even before it was actually released.
    Over focusing on America made what should have been amazing series just hit kind of oddly. You had steward type heroes like Black Panther, Monica, Blue Marvel and what not then you had America spouting off about how she was gonna put them all down if they crossed the line ....?? Um if any group of heroes...ever these are some of the most serious and thoughtful of them all, they're not some petulant young bucks!! Let these mostly black heroes shine, and do their thing!! Meanwhile back on the X-Men books, these past two issues #18-19 is the closest we ever had to having 2 black male heroes together, and that is a problem.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Given the dismal and depressing state the entire X-franchise has been pre HiX-Man....They're being written and given prominence and "Shine" now. This is perhaps the most diverse the entire line has been in over a decade....And yet some still have issues with it. So we win some and lose some. Yes, we need diversity and representation but the we're clearly missing the forest for the trees when we focus on our individual wants.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Over focusing on America made what should have been amazing series just hit kind of oddly. You had steward type heroes like Black Panther, Monica, Blue Marvel and what not then you had America spouting off about how she was gonna put them all down if they crossed the line ....?? Um if any group of heroes...ever these are some of the most serious and thoughtful of them all, they're not some petulant young bucks!! Let these mostly black heroes shine, and do their thing!! Meanwhile back on the X-Men books, these past two issues #18-19 is the closest we ever had to having 2 black male heroes together, and that is a problem.
    Nail on the head bro. Besides the over focusing on America, when the book was announced we were basically sold on seeing Monica and Blue Marvel finally cut loose with their powers which unfortunately didn't happen. For me that was one of the things that soured me on that run.

Given the dismal and depressing state the entire X-franchise has been pre HiX-Man....They're being written and given prominence and "Shine" now. This is perhaps the most diverse the entire line has been in over a decade....And yet some still have issues with it. So we win some and lose some. Yes, we need diversity and representation but the we're clearly missing the forest for the trees when we focus on our individual wants.
    I mean I def get what you're saying buuut when if you're in said Forrest wanting to see a tree with green leaves shouldn't be that tall of an order
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Thanks for beating me to it! I feel exactly the same way. If she came with this concept, then they should have trashed it. Now if they told her that is what they wanted her to write, then they should be trashed! All of that concept was off. I'm not even suggesting that Avita can't make good X-Men books.
    Real quick wanna reiterate that Vita goes by they/them pronouns. Also, Vita didn’t come up with these characters and the concept of the book; an editor suggested it.

I totally get why people aren’t interested in the book. What I don’t get is people saying it’s taking up space where other representation could be happening. There are like 13 X-books, and a LOT of those writers could do a better job with representation.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 04-05-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Real quick wanna reiterate that Vita goes by they/them pronouns. Also, Vita didn’t come up with these characters and the concept of the book; an editor suggested it.

I totally get why people aren’t interested in the book. What I don’t get is people saying it’s taking up space where other representation could be happening. There are like 13 X-books, and a LOT of those writers could do a better job with representation.
    Yeah but this one is doing the least
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yeah but this one is doing the least
    Can you explain how? Vita was given a book with an entirely new (and diverse) characters, so outside of cameos we were never gonna get to see established characters in the main cast.

Vita’s still doing a better job with representation than Ben Percy who came up with an all-white X-Force (aside from POC cameos here and there).
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 04-05-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Personally it's because the books are bloated as it is and the last thing I want to read about are characters that I don't see having a future past this mini. i mean, i could see a human ally book working but not like this... It's why I dislike AU books, for similar reasons. I don't blame Vita but the concept stinks.

plus there are still loads of characters i would've appreciated showing up. rip the academy x kids from getting a relaunch

As for wanting other books doing better on the representation front, yes, but we can dislike both situations. It's not an either or scenario.

They need to put a focus on bishop’s battle school. They only mention it in the data pages but it would be cool to have it expanded upon and give bishop some character development in the process.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Focussing on Bishop isn't going to solve the lack of overall black male/diversity representation, though.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Focussing on Bishop isn't going to solve the lack of overall black male/diversity representation, though.
    Better than nothing, he deserves some spotlight

Can you explain how? Vita was given a book with an entirely new (and diverse) characters, so outside of campos we were never gonna get to see established characters in the main cast.
    Oh I wasn't clamoring for any established char but it woulda been nice to have a book that heavily if not exclusively featured 3rd 4th or 3 generation of X-Men and committed to their further development. But I digress

Vita’s still doing a better job with representation than Ben Percy who came up with an all-white X-Force (aside from POC cameos here and there).
    I mean yeah but it'd be like if You've been in line to get a spotted puppy and when it's your turn you get Handed a spotted kitten....
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Oh I wasn't clamoring for any established char but it woulda been nice to have a book that heavily if not exclusively featured 3rd 4th or 3 generation of X-Men and committed to their further development. But I digress

I mean yeah but it'd be like if You've been in line to get a spotted puppy and when it's your turn you get Handed a spotted kitten....
    Yeah when the book was first announced I was 100% there with you and wanted the established young mutants to get a chance. Then I realized that with or without CoTA the x-office wasn’t going to use them (outside of brief appearances in X-Factor and New Mutants).

Love the analogy lol. I guess it mainly comes down to what you’re looking for in terms of representation.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    As for Vita, you asked why. No one is really going to know the inner workings on why a title might get rejected or welcomed because it's not a hard science. Unless you got evidence to the contrary to say why it is or isn't?
    In most cases it's an editor who comes up with the pitch. See Leah Williams's Gwenpool-she did NOT pitch that it was tossed on her. New 52 Firestorm-Gail Simone nor Ehtan Van Sciever wanted to do the book. Once again dumped on them. Priest did NOT want to Black Panther. He was supposed to be doing a Falcon book after CA & Falcon series. Priest did NOT want to do Conan-he was suppose to do a Luke Cage book after Powerman & Ironfist ended. He was ready to QUIT comics when he got Conan.

It is also a business so Marvel would look at their readership and what is popular, money is always the biggest factor in a business.
    We have had plenty of books get the AX and SALES were NOT the issue. It was some editor with an agenda. Dc Comics say HI.

Wally West & Cassandra Cain SOLD. Yet both were viewed as TOXIC by the head man in charge.

Along with as long as it's not POC lead-certain books have ZERO issues selling because those fans accept CRAP. They will throw fits online about how bad it is yet month after month will buy it. Then get SHOCKED when new fans don't show up.

. What I don’t get is people saying it’s taking up space where other representation could be happening.
    The civil reply is nobody asked for those characters. We got plenty who are collecting dust. If this is all about reestablishing the franchise-new folks are NOT needed right now.

Lets get the folks who carried Generation X, X-Men Academy and New Mutants taken care of first. Then do that book.

Other wise don't cry about sales. Not everyone supports something just because it's black. Because not all black lead stuff is good black lead stuff. See Coates Black Panther-some folks act like you are race traitor for not supporting that book and that we must support everything black.
    Same folks who can't tell you a thing about black lead books like Killadelpia, Bitter Root, Farmhands or Excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Other wise don't cry about sales. Not everyone supports something just because it's black. Because not all black lead stuff is good black lead stuff. See Coates Black Panther-some folks act like you are race traitor for not supporting that book and that we must support everything black.
    But isn't that the rub? and the contradiction...**** isn't going to sell if they are given crap material. Folks have no issue supporting or hate supporting far lesser books or characters in a less vocal manner than they do with Coates. Who assumingly did such a bad job that, adds to the point of down-low racist that need to tell others how bad the few black led writers are and now, we are back at square one.

Everything has to be of a certain quality or standard, despite how much leeway, non-white creators get for 12 to 15 issues to screw a brand or character up on a constant basis.

The black lead indie book's or ones not under DC or Marvel lebals. Won't get the same buzz as Bitter Root because material similar to that, doesn't get the spotlight very often. A similar artifical barrier - support should always be in-couraged but there's degrees to this without massive backing.

Typical though...fact is a lot of the fan base only want a dash of diversity and since the status quo is to give lot of those attempts crap roles or bit parts. That's going to be the cycle, until something or someone else comes along. Inside or outside this space to tackle the issue, because the X-men and most of its fans are the definition of fake "woke". As much as I like the books.
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 04-05-2021 at 02:40 PM.