Page 51 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    It is. Sadly Fox twice cast him as a white guy, but take comfort that considering the massive failure that was Dark Phoenix the New Mutants film probably won't get released. So we will see a REAL Sunspot get cast.
    Let's hope he's not played by Michael Cera...
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Man, I miss the old Synch from Generation X.

Powerful
    Smart
    Adept at using his abilities
    Leadership skills
    His friendship with Skin

I thought for sure that he was on his way to something big.

I liked the original Bedlam Bros too.

I'm sure all of this has been discussed before but I thought I'd put in my two-cents.
    My bruh, yes! I think that Evertt had so much potential and to see to just blow to pieces was all kinds of stupid! Similar to Darwin in the movie, it made no sense according to power that they each have for them to have died the way they did. The more books that come out, the worse the issue becomes. Why both teasing Synch just to have him on the sidelines.

Synch was definitely my favorite character from the original Generation X run. I loved his "best bud" friendship with Jubilee and liked how he really was in synch with all his teammates personality-wise too. Absolutely hated what was ultimately done with the character, and I did drop Gen X immediately after that.

Even though Synch was recently seen alive and well on Krakoa, I don't expect to see him on another team book again unless there's another revival of Gen X, which is probably unlikely anytime in the foreseeable future, IMO.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Synch was definitely my favorite character from the original Generation X run. I loved his "best bud" friendship with Jubilee and liked how he really was in synch with all his teammates personality-wise too. Absolutely hated what was ultimately done with the character, and I did drop Gen X immediately after that.

Even though Synch was recently seen alive and well on Krakoa, I don't expect to see him on another team book again unless there's another revival of Gen X, which is probably unlikely anytime in the foreseeable future, IMO.
    Hickman is a New Mutants and Gen X fan so there is good chance that you might see him sooner beside they are putting out stuff like Hellions I don't think anybody in the X-world is out of play.

I am just hoping for someone to love a black character like Brission loves using Glob or Guggenheim loves using Ink.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Hickman is a New Mutants and Gen X fan so there is good chance that you might see him sooner beside they are putting out stuff like Hellions I don't think anybody in the X-world is out of play.

I am just hoping for someone to love a black character like Brission loves using Glob or Guggenheim loves using Ink.
    So, at this point we are hoping and putting faith for the introduction and sustaining presence of an alpha black male mutant in the hands of small cabal white guy writers and editors...? Of course anything is possible, but the history up to this point speaks volumes! I don't share your optimism on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Man, I miss the old Synch from Generation X.

Powerful
    Smart
    Adept at using his abilities
    Leadership skills
    His friendship with Skin

I thought for sure that he was on his way to something big.

I liked the original Bedlam Bros too.

I'm sure all of this has been discussed before but I thought I'd put in my two-cents.
    Add me to the chorus singing Everett's praises. He was so refreshing to see: a black kid who wasn't a street fighting, gun slinging, electro-powered based hero or had super strength like most of his 90s counterparts. But don't get me wrong; I loved Dwayne "Night Thrasher" Taylor and Rage (once he joined NW) and was luke-warm about Bishop. But back to Snych -- He wasn't angry or spoke "hood" lingo. He got along with all his teammates. And the fact he could utilize the "borrowed" powers better than the person he'd synced with was great. I was rooting for him and Jubilee to get together.

As for why he nor any other male POC (especially black men) wasn't used more was always disappointing.

Astonishing Member

I never cared for Synch but liked the Bedlam brothers of Age of Apocalypse, and the one that was in 616 X-Force who could break machines

There are a lot of more interesting non-white males in the x-universe in my opinion. Bishop was a 90s trope that got ruined after Messiah Compex.

Sunspot came first and was wonderfully developed by Ewing. Forge and Sunfire are classic characters with tons of potential to explore.

We also have Warpath, Synch, Maggott, Nezhno, Genesis... I'd rather read about any of them than Bishop.

And that's not even couting the x-women (Ororo, Moonstar, Monet, Dust, Frenzy, Trinary...)

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I didn't collect Grace's Iceman series. Was Darnell shown outside of his drag persona? I have only seen him as Shade/Darkveil, and figured there was room for interpretation and wishful thinking.

I'd been pitching books where Darnell serves as Emma Frost's personal stylist. Pray Tell is a whole archetype.
    I don’t think so. I agree though, there’s a lot of room for gender exploration if Darkveil is blacklisted from ever appearing again. Would love to see her on the Hellfire Club in some capacity. Apparently she knows a lot about Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    There are a lot of more interesting non-white males in the x-universe in my opinion. Bishop was a 90s trope that got ruined after Messiah Compex.

Sunspot came first and was wonderfully developed by Ewing. Forge and Sunfire are classic characters with tons of potential to explore.

We also have Warpath, Synch, Maggott, Nezhno, Genesis... I'd rather read about any of them than Bishop.

And that's not even couting the x-women (Ororo, Moonstar, Monet, Dust, Frenzy, Trinary...)
    Specifically talking about Black people, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post

I do miss a few of the characters that you mentioned. My firm belief is that a solid writer can mute out the hacky aspects of Bishop and show all the potential he has. The fact that we got a lack of vision issue with him and all other black male mutant X-Men is so obvious it's laughable. Their are writers and creators out there with all kinds good characters they made up. I have to believe that they can make the same magic with any character currently in the X-Men universe. Is the x-office so married to the same old mess that when the impact of Hickman is gone their books will continue to grow sad, repetitious, and homogenized?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I do miss a few of the characters that you mentioned. My firm belief is that a solid writer can mute out the hacky aspects of Bishop and show all the potential he has. The fact that we got a lack of vision issue with him and all other black male mutant X-Men is so obvious it's laughable. Their are writers and creators out there with all kinds good characters they made up. I have to believe that they can make the same magic with any character currently in the X-Men universe. Is the x-office so married to the same old mess that when the impact of Hickman is gone their books will continue to grow sad, repetitious, and homogenized?
    If your goal is to get books ordered and placed on shelves to rot until bin time-yes.

A solid writer is out there but the question falls-do they want to put up with the mess that folks like Eve Ewing and others had to deal with?

Some folks do not want to take a book and the next day their inbox is filled with death threats to them and their families.

Some do not want to put up with the mess Sin Grace had to deal with.

Right now for the X-Office-whoever you get has to have support in and outside of Marvel. It has to be made clear this is business not some diversity hire or that other junk.

It makes no sense for black males to be a joke with this franchise that is about "oppression and not being accepted". Not the poster child of it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I never cared for Synch but liked the Bedlam brothers of Age of Apocalypse, and the one that was in 616 X-Force who could break machines
    I kind of prefer the syncretic Deadpool movie version, that can mess with both machines and people. That's kind of cool, and useful in the Savage Land against dinosaurs, and back home, facing Sentinels.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So, at this point we are hoping and putting faith for the introduction and sustaining presence of an alpha black male mutant in the hands of small cabal white guy writers and editors...? Of course anything is possible, but the history up to this point speaks volumes! I don't share your optimism on this one.
    It is not faith, Hickman has a track record and spoken in interviews about his love for GenX and New Mutants. He is guy who brought Synch back, He is guy who used M(and Husk) in HoX, He is the guy who used Sunspot and Canonball in Avengers, He is the guy who said that Cypher and Gen-X got raw deals and he then he went out made sure that Cypher got used and Synch and Skin got rez, He is also using Chamber and Mondo in New Mutants. His track record speaks for him. Beside there is a book coming up resurrections that will probably feature the stories Angel,Banshee,Nightcrawler and M. I am expecting to see something about Synch in that book. I wasn't asking anyone to be optimistic I was explaining that person you could see Synch without a Gen X reunion book.

If we are talking about faith, I am pretty confident that Leah Williams or Vita Ayla will put out a book that has solid diversity in it . Vita X-men project is probably the highest thing on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is a pretty simple question, Why haven't any of Black Male X-men caught on other than Bishop? For other minority groups characters say like Asian male the answer is simple they are that many of them( Thunderbird 2nd,Indra,Sunfire?) but other day I was looking up characters they are quite bit of Black male X-characters. Here is the quick list

Sunspot
    *Manifold
    Prodigy
    Gentle
    Synch
    Darwin
    Maggot
    Triage
    Genesis
    Radius
    Beldam
    Tag
    Anarchist
    Spike

I mean the obvious answer is going to come up but I am looking more along the lines of design and impact I guess. So maybe the question is better phrased as which character when introduced did you think this character is going to be the next great X-men character?

* Manifold yes I realize he was never in thing X-men related but he trained with Gateway and he is mutant.
    Well for design and impact I'd say the problem was none of them were any good. You could have answered this yourself if you thought critically about the question.
    Last edited by Ulfhammer; 12-19-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Well for design and impact I'd say the problem was none of them were any good. You could have answered this yourself if you thought critically about the question.
    That's your amazing answer none of them are good. That was critical thinking you put into your answer. Every black male character created was bad. Who created these characters ? Why is they are capable of making good white characters but the black characters suck? Why has there been effort to make one that hasn't sucked? Anyways Thank you for your level of insight, I don't know how I miss that.Thank you for sharing.