Page 20 of 145 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Since the OP was talking about black male mutants and I wish to stay on point. The answer is quite simple writers give zero fux about developing them to a point where any of them can be spotlighted or even carry leadership in a X-Men book. The writer are paid and given too many accolades for the acts of picking the low hanging fruit of writing to emphasize the usual suspects. Hope has the same power as Synch, so killing was dumb. Bedlam was great character with tons of potential....?gone??? These fictional characters don't write their own demise and situations low talent writers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Yep, when Feral defected she was supposed to join. That would have been a great storyline. She had some good scenes with Cable and Warpath that left me wanting more. I also liked the rumor that the original Locus was Magik.. I kind of wish that had been the case and the while Reignfire as future Roberto and Magik and DaniMoonstar trying to stop him would have unfollowed in a less awkard way than the weird clone reveal and locus randomly becoming a Black girl. NOt that I didnt like seeing a new Black mutant but it was just so random.
    Ha dude me toooo all of this lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Since the OP was talking about black male mutants and I wish to stay on point. The answer is quite simple writers give zero fux about developing them to a point where any of them can be spotlighted or even carry leadership in a X-Men book. The writer are paid and given too many accolades for the acts of picking the low hanging fruit of writing to emphasize the usual suspects. Hope has the same power as Synch, so killing was dumb. Bedlam was great character with tons of potential....?gone??? These fictional characters don't write their own demise and situations low talent writers do
    ha dude soooooooo sadly true

Since the OP was talking about black male mutants and I wish to stay on point. The answer is quite simple writers give zero fux about developing them to a point where any of them can be spotlighted or even carry leadership in a X-Men book. The writer are paid and given too many accolades for the acts of picking the low hanging fruit of writing to emphasize the usual suspects. Hope has the same power as Synch, so killing was dumb. Bedlam was great character with tons of potential....?gone??? These fictional characters don't write their own demise and situations low talent writers do.
    This is basically what it all boils down too, a lack of interest. No way Synch is too overpowered to live when Hope, Nate, Legion, Jean and even Bobby exist.

Yeah but...Hope just spent like 2-3 years in Limbo and she kinda sucks.

I agree though Synch needs to come back put a interesting/manageable limit on him so writers can't copout and keep the ball moving. Or they should create new characters that have interesting powers and concepts and go from there.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 01-13-2019 at 04:17 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Amazing Member

Synch needs to come back. End of story.

BANNED

After Bishop not many of the Xmen "stuck" a lot of the new ones now aren't loved very much by fans

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    After Bishop not many of the Xmen "stuck" a lot of the new ones now aren't loved very much by fans
    QFT

Bishop was the last significant addition of an original* character to the X-Men roster. "The Last X-Man" indeed.

*Not sure how original gun-toting law man from the future is, but he's not a clone of an ANAD or a reformed baddie to join the B-List.

What would it take for Sunspot, Prodigy, Darwin, Bedlam, Link, or even Manifold ascend to B-List status?

It’s the opposite problem. Fans love these characters, but editorial is interested in old characters and rehashing old plot points for nostalgia’s sake. And those same old characters are pretty much all white (as well as assumed cisgender and assumed heterosexual) except for the one black woman they had so she can stand out as a proud token.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    It’s the opposite problem. Fans love these characters, but editorial is interested in old characters and rehashing old plot points for nostalgia’s sake. And those same old characters are pretty much all white (as well as assumed cisgender and assumed heterosexual) except for the one black woman they had so she can stand out as a proud token.
    ALSO QFT

And accurate. "Loved" has perspectives. Many black male mutants have their fans, but none seem to have universal appeal, or at least the appeal of the editorial staff. Whereas Bishop has the love of editorial (maybe?), but I can't say he has a very vocal fanbase. His inclusion gives the seeming illusion he's loved by the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    ALSO QFT

And accurate. "Loved" has perspectives. Many black male mutants have their fans, but none seem to have universal appeal, or at least the appeal of the editorial staff. Whereas Bishop has the love of editorial (maybe?), but I can't say he has a very vocal fanbase. His inclusion gives the seeming illusion he's loved by the fans.
    Yeah, there doesn’t seem to be any patience in developing new characters because if they haven’t gotten instant gratification from fans, then they’re gonna be stuck in Limbo. The Original Five X-Men couldn’t hold down their own series, but Marvel eventually found a way to make the fans love those characters anyway. Marvel invested a good 63-issue run for Prodigy and we see that writers love using him (eg Young Avengers, Champions, America) and fans generally like him. But then the X-Office doesn’t feel like he’s worth the time anymore if his appearances aren’t breaking roofs, esp when they have this brand-spankin-new bunch of new characters that are gonna either flop or recreate what the New Mutants or Generation X or Academy X had.i

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Storm was never created to be a token and such a statement is an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    ALSO QFT

Bishop has a universal appeal because writers haven't tried to make him stereotypical. He isn't your typical anything and it works for him, but honestly that's true for any character.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

If Synch fans were as powerful as Cyclops fans, Lobdell (or whoever) would've brought him back from the grave in 3 days like they did Cyclops Christ.

Doesn’t matter if she was created as a token or not, she literally fits the definition. And I’m not talking about Wein’s one-shot or Claremont’s run anyway, but further stories that try to emulate to past by giving us the SAME lineups with maybe a sprinkle of the most popular-at-the-time New Mutants here or one Academy X character there.

And who is a stereotype on this list?

Bishop only has the sticking power that he has because he was introduced in a main book at the perfect time to introduce a new character and secured a place on the most widely and fondly remembered media adaptation in the franchise. That's not a knock on him, it's just true.

Storm is not a token, which is why it's bad that they keep using her as one when the rest of Marvel is doing better despite other franchises not explicitly having diversity as a bedrock theme.

Good younger characters who aren't MUH ICONIC would have a broader appeal if the X-Office bothered to give them actual appealing superhero costumes, like the unique looks everyone had years when ago they made the franchise start poppin'.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The ANAD roster was a ham-fisted and intentional Epcot Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    like the unique looks everyone had years when ago they made the franchise start poppin'.
    Prodigy's yellow-tinted goggles are Bishop's M scar. Synch has a temporary rainbow, and the rest, as you say, lack cool lewks.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 01-17-2019 at 08:37 AM.