Page 93 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 2172
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Unfortunately, Sunspot is NEVER drawn as being Afro-Latino.
    What does Afro-Latino actually look like? Because, as with Black people...Afro-Latinos come in different complexions, facial features and hair colours and textures.
    And if you meant as he was depicted in Claremont's New Mutants with dark skin and black curly hair...then he was illustrated like that in the first few issues of HiX-Man's New Mutants by Rod Reis.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    What does Afro-Latino actually look like? Because, as with Black people...Afro-Latinos come in different complexions, facial features and hair colours and textures.
    And if you meant as he was depicted in Claremont's New Mutants with dark skin and black curly hair...then he was illustrated like that in the first few issues of HiX-Man's New Mutants by Rod Reis.
    Yu and Gho had him as such in X-men too

He looks afro-latino to me

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Unfortunately, Sunspot is NEVER drawn as being Afro-Latino.
    Yeah, Afro-Latino people ARE Black people. Latinx identity refers to ethnicity but that has nothing to do with someone’s actual race. Hence why there are white Latinos, Black Latinos, Asian Latinos etc etc. There’s nothing visually distinct between a Black American and a Black Brazilian besides possibly their cultural roots.

Ultimate Member

A lot of that issue falls at the feet of COLORISTS and what they have available to use. Some of that is due to resources.

If you saw the first 3 issues of Milestone's Static-he was darker than Omar Epps. Milestone started using a new coloring system (I think the same one Malibu Comics had before Marvel ruined them) and he started looking like his more famous look. Yet his action figure from DC Icons has him looking like he did in the first 3 issues skin tone wise.

I never understood why they didn't make Moses Magnum a major villain. He should have been one of Apocalypse's best horsemen.

It's sad, he's been chumped out so many times that he needs a revamp.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Sunspot is probably the most promising one. He have a cool personality, cool powers and don't have a lot of angst.

The greatest proof of his potential is that Marvel really want us to forget that he is supposed to be black.
    Afro-Latinos come in the same range of skin tones as black Americans and people in the Caribbean. Some are heavily mixed race, some aren't but overall there is no standard look. Though I think we were meant to believe since his first appearance that Sunspot had visibly black features and took after his father far more than his mother. Some artists have done a better job of showing that than others and I think it's fair to criticize artists that don't make the effort to show him as a black dude, considering the limited number of prominent black men at the X-Office.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Afro-Latinos come in the same range of skin tones as black Americans and people in the Caribbean. Some are heavily mixed race, some aren't but overall there is no standard look. Though I think we were meant to believe since his first appearance that Sunspot had visibly black features and took after his father far more than his mother. Some artists have done a better job of showing that than others and I think it's fair to criticize artists that don't make the effort to show him as a black dude, considering the limited number of prominent black men at the X-Office.
    Definitely agree and throw Monet in there as well. They've been very inconsistent with this. It's to the point where I don't think the artists do any kind of research on what the characters should actually look like.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Ive heard it explained on a podcast once that artists and colorists use reference material when it comes to coloring. Somewhere along the line someone may have incorrectly colored Roberto light and subsequent colorists drew him as such bc of the reference material. For all they know there may have been a story in some book that explained why he looks the way he does. I blame editors more than anything and less so the artists. A similar thing happened with Magma. One person drew her flying and now its a part of her powerset as others have drawn her consistently enough like that

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Ive heard it explained on a podcast once that artists and colorists use reference material when it comes to coloring. Somewhere along the line someone may have incorrectly colored Roberto light and subsequent colorists drew him as such bc of the reference material. For all they know there may have been a story in some book that explained why he looks the way he does. I blame editors more than anything and less so the artists. A similar thing happened with Magma. One person drew her flying and now its a part of her powerset as others have drawn her consistently enough like that
    They should add in the corner of the pages: FYI Sunspot is black.

I would wonder what did the first artist who drew Roberto lighter than he actually is reference. If he looked at an original drawing of him, he would see that he had a darker complexion.

BANNED

She isn't flying. She's moving the earth away from her!

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

So we are only talking about black people with African backgrounds.....?

Bishop and Shard were both born in a American "mutant relocation camps" and are the children of Australian mutants Burnum and Kadee.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Honestly I can blame both. Colorism and whitewashing is rampant in entertainment (look at who they cast as the live action Sunspot) so it doesn’t surprise me that it affects the comics industry.

People did make a good point that there is no uniform look for Afro-Latino people, and I more so meant that he’s often depicted with lighter skin and non-black features despite how he was initially depicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Huh. I'm gonna really give this some thought and even apply it to other characters I'd like to gain success and I THOUGHT I'd pick this argument apart, but I can find no fault with that strategy.
    I mean I don't "Feel" like she's important even still, but... As far as "What a company DOES" when they want to really PUSH a character I can't find a single fault in how you analyze that. I never really gave it much thought what a "Real" push looks like. They force the character into everything and keep the character relevant in all kinds of things. .
    I will put it this way what makes Dr Strange, Green Arrow, Punisher, Aquaman, Captian Marvel, Cable,Ghost Rider etc keep getting solos? While say Blade and Storm never get another shot in reasonable amount of time if at all again?

You will see it repeated forums that certain character don't sell which is why their book is canceled while ignoring that other books clearly get canceled over and over.

Character development takes long term and short term planning. When a company really wants a character to succeed they have more patience with character sales and they will bring back the character to go in different direction to point where the character is literally a new character. The immortal Hulk could have easily been new character. Punisher has been a Hydra agent, Frankstein, an Angel, Iron Man. They are long term committed to make certain characters work.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-07-2020 at 06:10 AM.

When it comes to the whitewashing of Bobby and Monet it's a difficult thing to quantify. In one regard, I can see that some artist want to show Bobby as mixed race by lightening his skin and loosening his curls. But it just come off has striping away his blackness. In reality it's hard to compare the handling of differing skin tones because in the 70's and 80's every black person had the same brown skin. No one was dark skinned or light skinned, they all were the same medium brown shade. Remember, they used to color Native Americans red and Middle Easterners, and South Asians some weird gray color that had to be ultra offensive. So if someone today wants to show varying shades of "black" when they render a black character "lighter", should that be seen as "whitewashing"?

If I look at an example of half black and half white actors, most would be considered "light skinned" in the Black community. From Halle Berry, Thandie Newton, Paula Patton, Jesse Williams, Jordan Peele, the Smollett siblings, Lenny Kravitz, Shemar Moore, etc. There are some who are as "light" as Vin Diesel, Mariah Carey, and Rashida Jones.
    So if an colorist render Bobby lighter than Storm or Black Panther, would that be "whitewashing" even though in the 80's he was colored the same as them? So if not Bobby, than who? If one would want to display the variety of shades to black people, who would be "light", who would be "medium brown" and who would be "dark"? Would the "lighter skinned" character be seen as less black or whitewashed? What is too light if they are still darker than the white characters? I don't have an answer.
    But what I do not like is when the strip his features to make him less black.