Page 100 of 145 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2172

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Trust, you're not in the in the minority of fans that realize the racial drift that happens with black characters. Eden went from dreads, to fro, and finally to perma-fro in one whole ass story transition. Monet, and Synch, along with Bishop have been forced into a lighter shade of pale at different times. Its like pulling teeth to get most white folk to understand the nuances of black visual representation for every shade and hue.
    I completely agree, Darwins skin tone got ridiculous. His skin turned pale white.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Look at whose writing and editing the books.
    I see. I'm guessing not enough black writers

Frankly the skin whitening is inappropriate. It shouldn't happen.

If they want light skinned characters, they should make the effort to actually have more mixed race characters

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I see. I'm guessing not enough black writers

Frankly the skin whitening is inappropriate. It shouldn't happen.

If they want light skinned characters, they should make the effort to actually have more mixed race characters
    It’s actually so damaging because it leads to things like Henry Zaga getting cast as Sunspot or Storm consistently being portrayed by light-skinned actresses. Of course a lot of that is Hollywood bias, but it doesn’t help when comic book artists end muddying up the source material by doing their own whitening.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    It’s actually so damaging because it leads to things like Henry Zaga getting cast as Sunspot or Storm consistently being portrayed by light-skinned actresses. Of course a lot of that is Hollywood bias, but it doesn’t help when comic book artists end muddying up the source material by doing their own whitening.
    True. Although Sunspot is half-black so he can be lighter than Storm, but shouldn't be white or pale

Hollywood seems averse to casting darker-skinned women. That's why Black Panther's portrayal of women was liked by so many

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I completely agree, Darwins skin tone got ridiculous. His skin turned pale white.
    He literally turned into a blank, create your character template.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    He's one of Gateway's descendants?
    Nope...they all ain't related lol
    True. Although Sunspot is half-black so he can be lighter than Storm, but shouldn't be white or pale
    He could've but wasn't and isn't
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    It is canon that Bishop is related to Gateway

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post

He could've but wasn't and isn't
    Oh. Although Storm has become lightened too so it's hard to tell

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    It is canon that Bishop is related to Gateway
    It's canon, but said poster is noting how cheap it was to retcon Bishop as related to Gateway, because even though black is a minority, we don't all know each other & we're not all related. lol

Some feel it was an unneeded retcon that added nothing of value. And I agree. Same with the tacked on reveal of Monet randomly being Muslim.

Some have had that complaint about Storm x Panther. Feeling it was forced & slopped together just to pair off the black characters & keep them segregated in their own clump.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 03-21-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    It's canon, but said poster is noting how cheap it was to retcon Bishop as related to Gateway, because all black characters don't have to be related in a cluster. It was an unneeded retcon that added nothing of value. And I agree. Same with the tacked on reveal of Monet randomly being Muslim.

Some have had that complaint about Storm x Panther. Feeling it was forced & slopped together just to pair off the black characters & keep them in their own little group.
    Yuuuuup! This allll damn Day
    GrindrStone(D)

It's canon, but said poster is noting how cheap it was to retcon Bishop as related to Gateway, because all black characters don't have to be related in a cluster. It was an unneeded retcon that added nothing of value. And I agree. Same with the tacked on reveal of Monet randomly being Muslim.

Some have had that complaint about Storm x Panther. Feeling it was forced & slopped together just to pair off the black characters & keep them in their own little group.
    Make all black characters related is not good, the problem is a writer care about Bishop to explore it or then retcon it

The idea was take two of the biggest black character and united them. For me it was a big marketing decision.
    But I think it is weird that Ororo only date native or white men while on X-men. It's rare see two black people dating on x-men

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Make all black characters related is not good, the problem is a writer care about Bishop to explore it or then retcon it

The idea was take two of the biggest black character and united them. For me it was a big marketing decision.
    But I think it is weird that Ororo only date native or white men while on X-men. It's rare see two black people dating on x-men
    Because there hardly are two black people. lol

There's not many black characters, and many of them gradually start turning white.

Ultimate Member

Because there hardly are two black people. lol

There's not many black characters, and many of them gradually start turning white.
    I think it's wrong to have no all black couples when there are so many all white couples.

But I also think it's wrong to make black characters date mainly or exclusively black characters (same with white characters too), especially with how black characters are often not considered for romances in fiction period

Mighty Member

It's canon, but said poster is noting how cheap it was to retcon Bishop as related to Gateway, because even though black is a minority, we don't all know each other & we're not all related. lol

Some feel it was an unneeded retcon that added nothing of value. And I agree. Same with the tacked on reveal of Monet randomly being Muslim.

Some have had that complaint about Storm x Panther. Feeling it was forced & slopped together just to pair off the black characters & keep them segregated in their own clump.
    On the one hand, it would be odd if every Black mutant was related but also in the same breath we need Black mutants to have families (parents, siblings, cousins). Like I like that the St. Croix are a Black mutant family, I am happy that Bedlam and King Bedlam are brothers, I wish Storm has at the very least had some mutant relatives from the Munroe side of her family.

Mighty Member

I think it's wrong to have no all black couples when there are so many all white couples.

But I also think it's wrong to make black characters date mainly or exclusively black characters (same with white characters too), especially with how black characters are often not considered for romances in fiction period
    While interracial relationships are fine, the biggest issue is that for Marvel and most media forms interracial relationships center whitness. Its always White and Black or Latinx or Asian or Indigenous. We dont often get interracial relationships with out a white person in them. Furthermore, if you look at the Black characters currently in relationships right now my point is proven. Also Black people actually want to see Black characters in relationships with other Black people. I especially want to see this with Queer Black characters. Think about Queer Black characters ... how many of them are with a Black person?