Page 27 of 145 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    coincidental or not.
    Yikes. I was about to suggest Shade's power SHOULD have been sound mimicry, like Kylun.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I'd argue that since Prodigy has access to all of his previously absorbed knowledge, he's now a powerhouse in his own right. He is/should not be dependent on anyone else now that he can utilize and combine the skills and abilities he has in ways that the original owners never could. He's a one man army.
    Sure to a degree. But if you give a 10 year old an option of being Hellion (who can fly and lift things at the wave of his hand) or Prodigy (the kid who know's a lot of stuff but will never be written as better than the people he got the knowledge from) , who do you think he/she will pick?

We know the answer to that and it ain't nerd boy. Now granted it was discussed earlier in this thread that if Prodigy recieved a cool weapon, such as Taskmasters light based weapon producer, along with his intelligence , on the surface he would be a cooler character who would have more of a role on a team meant for combat.

It speaks to the false narrative that Black men are derivative; that they do not contribute new concepts or ideas; that they are not creators or inventors and do not own the means of production; that they do not have the means to survive, but for the handouts/kindness of others. This sort of thing is so subtle that most consume it without even knowing it. And then one day you look up and there's a Black Goliath, who didn't create Pym Particles. Or a War Machine, who didn't create the armor and only has it because Tony allowed it. Or Captain America/Falcon, who apparently was just leasing the shield and mantle with no option to own outright. Or Synch and Bishop, who are really no more powerful than baseline humans in the absence of someone/something to charge them.

Power mimicry in and of itself is fine, as is energy absorption, especially if we're talking about kinetic energy absorption. But given that Bishop and Synch are mutants with a near infinite number of possibilities in terms of what their powers could have been, you have to ask yourself why were they limited to being the group co-dependents. I am admittedly old and cynical, but something seems off about that, coincidental or not.

I don't know when or how you an I arrived on the same page JP but I'm glad that we finally are.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 01-22-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

deleted post
    Last edited by CRaymond; 01-22-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Yikes. I was about to suggest Shade's power SHOULD have been sound mimicry, like Kylun.
    Shade uses the Dark Force? Wonder what DC thinks about that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The All female team went on for 26 issues which is relatively good in the modern era. It was cancelled due to Secret Wars like all the other team books
    Moongirl and the Dinosaur are on issue #42...Deadpool/Spiderman is on issue #48....it's all about execution.

Shade uses the Dark Force? Wonder what DC thinks about that?
    Like all the other stuff they steal from each other?

Lashley: As an artist, you have to evolve. Even if you’re drawing every day, you can’t help but evolve. For me… I was young, I didn’t understand. I never had a real job where I was making real money. I’d worked part-time jobs, but this was my first real job and I made a lot of mistakes. Now I’m older, I’m more wise – sort of – but I know what I’m doing now.

AiPT!: What attracts you to the X-Men side of the Marvel Universe?

Lashley: I’m an X-Men fan. I was a John Byrne guy growing up. The first book that really hooked me was by John Byrne. So getting to draw X-Men: Gold with Colossus, Kitty Pryde and Nightcrawler in it is like a dream come true. Also, not a lot of artists get a chance to go back and draw characters they drew before, so its kind of interesting drawing Nightcrawler now. The universe has sort of aligned so I can fix my mistakes.

AiPT!: Finally, you’re very active on social media. Obviously, Instagram wasn’t around back in the ’90s. How important is it for today’s artists to use social media?

Lashley: I think it’s crucial. I don’t think you can be successful if you don’t have a good online presence. You have to be accessible to the fans, you gotta show them what you’re doing – maybe pick and choose what you can and can’t show – but you have to to be successful. I spend a good portion of my day responding to comments and posting. I also love the fans. I’m just a fan!
    Here's a link to the interview with Ken Lashley
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ston-comic-con

I don't know if he'd be interested in this discussion, I am not very active on social media. I'm not sure I'd be thrilled about directing his attention here if it isn't already.
    This sort of discursive discussion has got be an ever distracting/erroneous strain even when it's cohesive and well meaning...it isn't really. Intrusive, invasive, assumptive and utterly intensive to it's own dialogue.

His name comes up and immediately people start digressing about his style and somehow end up hatespeaking about Land again...or whatever...but anyway

Ken Lashley says he tries his best to be accessible to fans and uses social media to share his work and interact with others. So why not ask him about Greg Land? As for his own style, he says he was too young when he started drawing x-books...says 'everybody' got hired back then...which explains why AoA looks that way and I actually liked Lashley's Ex-Calibre and thought he intentionally drew those four issues the way he did. Hyperbolic steroidal psychedelia. But nope, that extrapolated assumption was made by me, and me, I had no idea he was that young back then or this much older now.

I still like that 'too young' art and Ellis' writing in those books and I am not generally a fan of the AoA comics.

All this talk 'about' feels so wrong under this pretense or opportunity. It's so easy to do.

Most importantly!
    here's a link to Ken Lashley's Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/ledkilla/?hl=en

Personally, what I'd really like, is a Ken Lashley 2019 AoA Nightcrawler commission!
    Last edited by sungila; 01-22-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Touché. And DC's version probably would have made for a cool drag queen as well, now that I think about it.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

X-Office seems reluctant to include black men on the casts -- to the point of hand-waving Bishop's genocidal/mass-murdering streak and betrayal, and sticking him on a team again.

Just keep using that one dude, Marvel -- that one back-stabbing, mass-murdering, psychotic cop dude from the '90s.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Moongirl and the Dinosaur are on issue #42...Deadpool/Spiderman is on issue #48....it's all about execution.

Those arent X-men books. The ones edited in the X-office dont tend to have long runs as we get refreshes every 1.5-2 years and those come with relaunches. Had Gold adn Blue not double shipped, they wouldnt have ended at 36.

they made maggot a HONK
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    they made maggot a HONK
    What else is new? They do that to all COC except Storm & Bishop. The only black people who exist in the X-Men verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    What else is new? They do that to all COC except Storm & Bishop. The only black people who exist in the X-Men verse.
    they've done that to Storm in Gold, during the Prison story

Last edited by sungila; 01-22-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    they've done that to Storm in Gold, during the Prison story
    Storm is definitely too light. But doesn't seem they quite made her a white woman. YET.

If they have though,apologizes for being out of the loop. That would only leave Bishop. Tsk.

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post

Personally, what I'd really like, is a Ken Lashley 2019 AoA Nightcrawler commission!
    Lol, you read my mind