Default Planet Arakko in the Last Annihilation?

How do we think Planet Arakko/Mutant characters will be used for the upcoming LAST ANNIHILATION event, with Dormammu attacking the galactic communities that mutants just became an important part of? With mutants introducing Mysterium to the galaxy, a new form a currency, and a new cosmic diplomatic hub (not to mention a widely respected Ted and well-regarded Regent in the form of one Queen Miss Ororo Munroe), that seems like it should mean they will play a major role in battling this new threat, but...in the past, relevance to the plot has been far from a guarantee of mutant involvement.

So, to my fellow CBRnuts, I ask your thoughts: Will mutants be ignored in this event, or will the newest player on the galactic scene have a role to play? And if so, what role? Do we think this is what we caught a glimpse of, at the end of Empyre, with Brand saving Hulkling...?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Not sure how that's even possible given it's a SWORD crossover

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Not sure how that's even possible given it's a SWORD crossover
    Oh! I didn't know that! I dont tend to follow solicitations, and the last few Annihilations have been about space and cosmic folks, so I was expecting more of the same (which isnt bad) but hoping for more (which would be better!). And it looks like I'm getting it!

That is exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Oh! I didn't know that! I dont tend to follow solicitations, and the last few Annihilations have been about space and cosmic folks, so I was expecting more of the same (which isnt bad) but hoping for more (which would be better!). And it looks like I'm getting it!

That is exciting!
    I usually have no clue what's going on with bigger events outside of the X-books so I'm happy to hear this too!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I usually have no clue what's going on with bigger events outside of the X-books so I'm happy to hear this too!
    Right!? I mean, how do you leave out an entire culture of powerful, immortal beings with a racial history of literally fighting literal demons for literal millennia... - not to even mention how often the well known heroes of the franchise have crossed lines into the supernatural (Magik, Limbo, the N'Garai, Storm's ancestry, Nastirh, Sym, the Goblin Queen and the insanity of eyeball-eating binocular demons and crowd consuming elevators and subway serpents that was the original Inferno, the many times Dracula tried seducing Storm or Wolverine... ) - from an invasion of cosmic demons?!

But the AvX era so thoroughly relegated them to 'obstacle for the Avengers' so often (instead of 'fellow heroes we should support and be supported by' or 'resident experts on Earth regarding the Phoenix'), and I know that a lot of the franchises tend to keep stories 'in house' more often now than in the golden era of interconnectedness that typified my experience with comics of the late 70's through the early 90's...so I'm still wary. Lol.

It has been nice seeing that interconnectedness making a comeback, though...I've missed those little Editor Notes pointing readers to other issues for more details. Or the sense that the entire universe was LIVED in, and what happened in Fantastic Four could have ramifications in Ghost Rider, or X-Men, and vics versa. Not the big crossovers, just...Doom being deposed in F4, and then the Avengers dealing with fallout as other nations try to annex Latveria, or Reed punctures a hole in reality and something slips through that shoes up tormenting Jean Grey's nightmares, or...whatever. THAT is what built a loyal fanbase who cared about the lore...looking for this back issue or that crossover because you read a HINT about some awesome story and wanted to learn more.
    Last edited by zinderel; 06-25-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Oh yeah. They’ll be involved. Storm, the cast of SWORD, Planet Arakko, Cable, plus the Guardians and Black Panther.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm front and centre for this. I've always LOVED Mutants in Space shenanigans.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Right!? I mean, how do you leave out an entire culture of powerful, immortal beings with a racial history of literally fighting literal demons for literal millennia... - not to even mention how often the well known heroes of the franchise have crossed lines into the supernatural (Magik, Limbo, the N'Garai, Storm's ancestry, Nastirh, Sym, the Goblin Queen and the insanity of eyeball-eating binocular demons and crowd consuming elevators and subway serpents that was the original Inferno, the many times Dracula tried seducing Storm or Wolverine... ) - from an invasion of cosmic demons?!

But the AvX era so thoroughly relegated them to 'obstacle for the Avengers' so often (instead of 'fellow heroes we should support and be supported by' or 'resident experts on Earth regarding the Phoenix'), and I know that a lot of the franchises tend to keep stories 'in house' more often now than in the golden era of interconnectedness that typified my experience with comics of the late 70's through the early 90's...so I'm still wary. Lol.

It has been nice seeing that interconnectedness making a comeback, though...I've missed those little Editor Notes pointing readers to other issues for more details. Or the sense that the entire universe was LIVED in, and what happened in Fantastic Four could have ramifications in Ghost Rider, or X-Men, and vics versa. Not the big crossovers, just...Doom being deposed in F4, and then the Avengers dealing with fallout as other nations try to annex Latveria, or Reed punctures a hole in reality and something slips through that shoes up tormenting Jean Grey's nightmares, or...whatever. THAT is what built a loyal fanbase who cared about the lore...looking for this back issue or that crossover because you read a HINT about some awesome story and wanted to learn more.
    Perfectly said and that was just like my early days in comics as well. You just gave me a flashback to Ghost Rider appearing in X-Men #17 and then me digging for the Ghost Rider issue that was connected to it. I'm very excited for this new X-world and I can't wait to see mutants really get into it with the rest of Marvel on a galactic scale.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Perfectly said and that was just like my early days in comics as well. You just gave me a flashback to Ghost Rider appearing in X-Men #17 and then me digging for the Ghost Rider issue that was connected to it. I'm very excited for this new X-world and I can't wait to see mutants really get into it with the rest of Marvel on a galactic scale.
    Omg, that Ghost Rider/X-Men Brood-infest-New Orleans story was one of the first arcs that drove me to collect outside of the core X-verse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Oh yeah. They’ll be involved. Storm, the cast of SWORD, Planet Arakko, Cable, plus the Guardians and Black Panther.
    Oh gosh, the Arakko mutants would have had an absolute blast of legendary proportions if they were around for the Annihilation Waves.