Page 102 of 145 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2172
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Isn't that character Night Thrasher?
    Also Rocket Racer who even who even got a full episodes on Spiderman TAS dedicated to him. So yeah at least two characters allready filling that niche. Leaving us with spike throwers of which i think the X-men corner of the MU alone had 3 characters named Quill with that power, plus others.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    YAS I looocef Slick he totally shoulda been featured instead of QQ
    An interesting quirk about Slick, despite the sketchy way he used his power, is that his illusory form was full-sensory. His girlfriend had no idea that he really looked like, despite hanging off his arm, which suggested that she had no idea what he *felt* like. His power was that good. So if he, for instance, made it look like he was holding a knife, or a gun, or throwing lightning out of his hand, *you'd really feel those things.*

Maybe it would 'wear off' and the wounds would go away after he left, but while he's present, the 'illusion' of pain, is in fact, pain.

On the downside, there'd be serious need to have a talk about who a person is versus who a person presents as, with Slick. One interpretation of his relationship with Tattoo is that since he deceived her about his true appearance, it's rape. And yet society is opening up to the notion that we are who we choose to be, not who we are born as, physically, and his nature and abilities just stomp all over the boundaries between those two positions.

He is what he is, a fictional character with a made-up super-power, neither a trans metaphor nor a rape metaphor, but I could see some angst either way.

I think it's wrong to have no all black couples when there are so many all white couples.

Frenzy + Lightbright, please....
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I can see Marvel, and mainly the X-office, is trying to do better with their black characters, but they have a long was to go. Mostly they are just giving us piece-meal helpings of Blackness, but not focusing on CHARACTER in any substantial way. Yes, Ororo is a mainstay, but she barely centers a storyline other than that one story in XoS, that drove a wedge between her and Wakanda and the 2-part Giant-size issues.
    S.W.O.R.D and X-Factor are the only books where the Black (Aboriginal Australian) members are getting any kind of constant attention and character development. And surprisingly, David is getting the most development out of all of them.

We'll see how well Ewing can juggle so many characters. So far so good with Manifold and Frenzy. Let's see what he'll do with Maggot and Blink.

Bishop is getting the shaft behind Kate, and Emma. And he supposed to be a Captain, but has he led and battles outside of the Marauders where Kate is in charge? Joanna has gotten more depth in two issues than Bishop has in two years.

Dr. Cecilia is getting some notice in X-Force but no development to her character.

Monet is going to have X-Corp, so there's hope there.

Synch and Darwin only had two appearances - hardly anything.

Sunspot is out of the New Mutants and only had a guess appearance in an Iron Fist mini.

Will Tempo make it on Cyke's team? I doubt it - but here's hoping.

Since Domino was in the Voices book about black heroes, does that make her black now?

Children of the Atom has two new black kids, so that's something. Usually comics throw in one and call it a day.

As for the looks, I don't mind Synch still sporting the bald look. Some guys stick with their usual. Maybe he's going through pre-mature bolding. I can relate. I'm just happy to see Bishop sporting the Sponge fade, while David is rocking the low fade. I could image that his waves were on swim, but I doubt Baldeon knows anything about that. Berto always had loss curls. I just wished artists tapered it.
    For the ladies, they seem to only have 3 looks: long, straight and flowy (Storm & M), natural fro (Angel Salvadore) or locks (Cecilia, Cipher, Frenzy). Joanna did have that asymmetrical cut for a while. At least the three ladies with the locks all have different styles.
    Only Idie's hair had varying styles in a relative shot amount of time.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I might get a few angry responses now, but why always people talk about the lack of black people in the X-books, while I rarely see comments about the few Asians we have in core team roles. We have Kwannon just recently, but orthers rarely star in a role of a ciore team. .
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I might get a few angry responses now, but why always people talk about the lack of black people in the X-books, while I rarely see comments about the few Asians we have in core team roles. We have Kwannon just recently, but orthers rarely star in a role of a ciore team. .
    Oh yeah. Sunfire and Wiz Kid are finally getting some playtime, and Daken gets good time in X-Factor, but Jubilee seems wasted over in Excalibur, and so does Karma in New Mutants, and Armor, Surge, Nature Girl, Indra, Trinary, etc. seem practically non-existent. (Not to mention Sway, Thunderbird III, Collective Man, Auric & Silver, Jade Dragon, Silver Samurai, Chance, Loa, Mondo, Silhouette, etc.)

There are *tons* of options out there, waiting to see use.

More black character representation is sorely wanted, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't also like more Asian, Latino, etc. representation. For years, it was Storm. Our token non-white face. Finally others like Bishop, Forge, Dani Moonstar, Sunspot, Karma and Jubilee kinda of flirted around the edges, but, still, so little real diversity.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

What's stopping you from speaking out on the lack of Asian X-characters though? You could always make a similar thread to this one but with Asian characters in mind. "Why haven't any of the Asian X-men caught on other than Kwannon?"
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I mean yeah the X-Men are definitely lacking in representation ACROSS the board. Right now I think it’s only Jubilee, Karma, Daken, Wiz Kid, Kwannon, and Armor that are appearing consistently. At the same time it shouldn’t be on fans who already aren’t seeing themselves represented to speak for EVERY other group.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    An interesting quirk about Slick, despite the sketchy way he used his power, is that his illusory form was full-sensory. His girlfriend had no idea that he really looked like, despite hanging off his arm, which suggested that she had no idea what he *felt* like. His power was that good. So if he, for instance, made it look like he was holding a knife, or a gun, or throwing lightning out of his hand, *you'd really feel those things.*

Maybe it would 'wear off' and the wounds would go away after he left, but while he's present, the 'illusion' of pain, is in fact, pain.

On the downside, there'd be serious need to have a talk about who a person is versus who a person presents as, with Slick. One interpretation of his relationship with Tattoo is that since he deceived her about his true appearance, it's rape. And yet society is opening up to the notion that we are who we choose to be, not who we are born as, physically, and his nature and abilities just stomp all over the boundaries between those two positions.

He is what he is, a fictional character with a made-up super-power, neither a trans metaphor nor a rape metaphor, but I could see some angst either way.
    I always thought Slick was some racist caricature, specially on 2000s that there was a strong hip hop culture. Look at this handsome black man that attracts atention from women, of course he is a fraud.

It is not rape if he tells the women who he really is.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Also Rocket Racer who even who even got a full episodes on Spiderman TAS dedicated to him. So yeah at least two characters allready filling that niche. Leaving us with spike throwers of which i think the X-men corner of the MU alone had 3 characters named Quill with that power, plus others.
    Not familiar with Rocket Racer, tbh. Is he any good?

I think X-Men have done a bit better with Asian women than Black men, but Asian men are also left behind. Ideally both groups as well as Native American and multiracial X-Men should get a shot. It shouldn't be either-or. The main problem, as so many have said here, is the X-Men focusing on white characters while preaching diversity.

I think people mention black X-men a lot because not that many are prominent outside of Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I mean yeah the X-Men are definitely lacking in representation ACROSS the board. Right now I think it’s only Jubilee, Karma, Daken, Wiz Kid, Kwannon, and Armor that are appearing consistently. At the same time it shouldn’t be on fans who already aren’t seeing themselves represented to speak for EVERY other group.
    True. I think mainly we speak for our own ethnic backgrounds while also showing solidarity to other PoC

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I can see Marvel, and mainly the X-office, is trying to do better with their black characters, but they have a long was to go. Mostly they are just giving us piece-meal helpings of Blackness, but not focusing on CHARACTER in any substantial way. Yes, Ororo is a mainstay, but she barely centers a storyline other than that one story in XoS, that drove a wedge between her and Wakanda and the 2-part Giant-size issues.
    S.W.O.R.D and X-Factor are the only books where the Black (Aboriginal Australian) members are getting any kind of constant attention and character development. And surprisingly, David is getting the most development out of all of them.

We'll see how well Ewing can juggle so many characters. So far so good with Manifold and Frenzy. Let's see what he'll do with Maggot and Blink.

Bishop is getting the shaft behind Kate, and Emma. And he supposed to be a Captain, but has he led and battles outside of the Marauders where Kate is in charge? Joanna has gotten more depth in two issues than Bishop has in two years.

Dr. Cecilia is getting some notice in X-Force but no development to her character.

Monet is going to have X-Corp, so there's hope there.

Synch and Darwin only had two appearances - hardly anything.

Sunspot is out of the New Mutants and only had a guess appearance in an Iron Fist mini.

Will Tempo make it on Cyke's team? I doubt it - but here's hoping.

Since Domino was in the Voices book about black heroes, does that make her black now?

Children of the Atom has two new black kids, so that's something. Usually comics throw in one and call it a day.

As for the looks, I don't mind Synch still sporting the bald look. Some guys stick with their usual. Maybe he's going through pre-mature bolding. I can relate. I'm just happy to see Bishop sporting the Sponge fade, while David is rocking the low fade. I could image that his waves were on swim, but I doubt Baldeon knows anything about that. Berto always had loss curls. I just wished artists tapered it.
    For the ladies, they seem to only have 3 looks: long, straight and flowy (Storm & M), natural fro (Angel Salvadore) or locks (Cecilia, Cipher, Frenzy). Joanna did have that asymmetrical cut for a while. At least the three ladies with the locks all have different styles.
    Only Idie's hair had varying styles in a relative shot amount of time.
    Now that we have more than a few they def have to limit the bald look.. Synch can keep it I guess but what about some facial hair.. Shola (when it returns) needs a new do, a new make over stat... Triage has natural flowing hair but not the same as Roberto which I like..Bedlam can keep his hair, but his brother needs a new style.. Emplate.. if we ever see him in human form I hope he has locs. Gentle also has his tats which give him a bit of a distinctive look. I hoe we so more of Tag( Brian Cruz) with his locs. But in addition to hair, I hope we start focusing on facial features that make folks stand out and have different body types.. That one issue with David and CeCe not having no ass or thigh meat really upset me..

Mighty Member

You talking to the wrong group. Because when we imagine new team line ups.. Those of us who are Black and who campaign for Black characters also put other BIPOC folks on teams. I am always here for more Black representation but if you go back through my posts I always am pushing for characters like Dani, Warpath, Risque, Neal shaara, etc to also be represented. Black people arent the mule of POC movements. The onus should not be on us for us to fight for representation of other groups. That energy should be directed at white creators who arent diversifying the books period!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    what is going on with Maggott now? Are his powers upgraded at all? Is his background clarified?

is Prodigy still without powers?

have any newer, non-teenage black male mutants made an impact in the past 20+ years?
    How would you wanna see them upgraded? And I don't think anything new about his background has been revealed... what needs clarifying? His time at camp Neverland?

I think he's been resurrected with his Mutant abilities active. But since he retained all the info he learned post decimation it's hard to tell.

Well none...which sucks + that not one has even been in a major storyline and it sucks twice. But that's not just X-Men it's across Marvel

So does Bishop count as black considering he's Native Australian? Not disagreeing with you otherwise, because there should be more black heroes on one team at a time
    I don't see how he wouldn't be....he looks like a Dude of African descent Just one Manifold (did) Hes from 80 years in the future so Australian demographics likely changed but whose to say one of his parents wasn't black? Or half black etc?

Why is it assumed the 2 had sex?
    Um where did you read that this was what people thought of the character. How would he be trans metaphor anyway...he stayed male (the sex he was born) in his projected public image.
    And it'd be interesting to see what his life was like before he came to Xavier's.
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Now that we have more than a few they def have to limit the bald look.. Synch can keep it I guess but what about some facial hair.. Shola (when it returns) needs a new do, a new make over stat... Triage has natural flowing hair but not the same as Roberto which I like..Bedlam can keep his hair, but his brother needs a new style.. Emplate.. if we ever see him in human form I hope he has locs. Gentle also has his tats which give him a bit of a distinctive look. I hoe we so more of Tag( Brian Cruz) with his locs. But in addition to hair, I hope we start focusing on facial features that make folks stand out and have different body types.. That one issue with David and CeCe not having no ass or thigh meat really upset me..
    I think this is another symptom of white writers not understanding black peoples' hair. It's why I think Storm has straight hair despite being half-Kenyan, half-African-American.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I don't see how he wouldn't be....he looks like a Dude of African descent Just one Manifold (did) Hes from 80 years in the future so Australian demographics likely changed but whose to say one of his parents wasn't black? Or half black etc?
    Idk. I don't know if he has African ancestry, but if he doesn't, he's not black in the American sense, he's Australian.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

So...

Asian Men, Women and LGBTQ aren't well represented.
    Black Men, Women and LGBTQ aren't well represented.
    Indian Men, Women and LGBTQ aren't well represented.
    Native American Men, Women and LGBTQ aren't well represented.
    Latinx Men, Women, and LGBTQ aren't well represented.
    The Trans community aren't represented, nor are the differently abled, and the differently bodied...and it has been such for decades. Enough is enough.

Enough with the White, Male, Female and LGBTQ set. Enough Emma, Betsy and Jean. Much less Scott, Logan and Magneto. Jean-Paul needs to take a
    vacation with Kyle and Bobby should find a man a quit the hero-biz.
    It's time the X-editors and X-writers are mandated to start focusing on ALL the other poorly represented groups, telling their stories so that we can ALL feel included and seen.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-22-2021 at 11:07 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!