Page 90 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1472
  1. #1336
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    18,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Understanding what you are saying, however there is a tendency in media, written and film that seems to always put black people in slave-like situations and it gets redundant, bordering on outright unimaginative. You know how many different slave movies that have come and gone with black people? There are so many of narratives that can be told dealing with black people throughout history. Just saying.
    nothing but facts
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  2. #1337
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,298

    Default

    Is Idlewild the last depression-era black movie we’ve gotten?

    I enjoy the 1920s-1930s as a setting in fiction.

  3. #1338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Understanding what you are saying, however there is a tendency in media, written and film that seems to always put black people in slave-like situations and it gets redundant, bordering on outright unimaginative. You know how many different slave movies that have come and gone with black people? There are so many of narratives that can be told dealing with black people throughout history. Just saying.
    That's why I always loved shows like the Jeffersons, 227, the Cosbys, (before the scandals were known), Martin and Living Single - shows with entrepreneurs/CEOs that offered different tales. Family Matters, Raven, Harvey, Sister Sister, Mr. Cooper, Different World. I'm aging myself but still. These shows would touch on such topics you mention without having to be *about* those topics.
    (And yes I watched all these show cause until George Lopez came around, all we had was ¿Qué Pasa, USA?, and that wasn't cutting it.)
    Last edited by Jbenito; 08-03-2020 at 03:00 PM.
    Boop! Krakoa forever!

  4. #1339
    Extraordinary Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Gentle looks like a misshapen Hulk whenever he uses his powers. His whole personality is passivity and emotional vulnerability because of mommy issues
    Maggot has lame powers and mismatching features
    Darwin doesn't look black half the time and he looks like a freak either way
    Triage is a healer and written with the personality of drying paint (because he's just a regular guy)
    Buuuut....
    Sunspot??
    Gentle doesn't stay powered up all the time+I think his Wakandan upbringing lends more to him being reserved.
    Maggot doesn't have lame powers! I think his slug digestive system is pretty cool+ I liked how brash he is
    Darwin, yes he is inhumanly figured but hardly freakish+he got with M sooo
    Totally give you that on Triage +you forgot Prodigy
    Sooo yes Gentle, Triage, Prodigy, Darwin,Synch are written as reserved, good natured etc?...
    I guess this is an attempt be 'progressive' since writers/editors or whoever grew up watching tv/reading with a clunky urban tough/angry black dude among the cast
    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Synch makes rainbows whenever he uses his powers
    Synch's mutagenic rainbow Aura is Awesome...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    My dude Synch just needs to get out of The Vault and finally realize all that potential. IMO he's the only that has a chance of not only catching on like Bishop, but even surpassing Bishop.
    Bruuuh this is to too 2 two True!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Not really IMO because Rogue has his power set,
    There's been plenty of examples of a series/team being good compelling with a cast that boasts redundant powers...my fav example of this is Grant Morrison's New X-Men run
    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Sunspot is the most promising option for prominent black X-males (even though he's only half black but that's another discussion).
    Um so are a lot of Black people
    GrindrStone(D)

  5. #1340
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    10,590

    Default

    I'm sure it's been said already but it bears repeating, not enough Black writers doing X-books if there ever were any.

  6. #1341
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Is Idlewild the last depression-era black movie we’ve gotten?

    I enjoy the 1920s-1930s as a setting in fiction.
    No Netflix had one with Mary J Blige and I want to say Jason Mitchell was in it. Mudbound.


    I'm sure it's been said already but it bears repeating, not enough Black writers doing X-books if there ever were any.
    How did that work out for Black Panther since 2016?
    How did that work for Cyborg at DC?
    Or Static in New 52? Now his black person was an editor before he got one for the last 2 issues.
    Chuck Clayton on Riverdale?

    I don't trust all black writers. I have seen black men DESTROYED at the hands of black writers.

    That's why I always loved shows like the Jeffersons, 227, the Cosbys, (before the scandals were known), Martin and Living Single - shows with entrepreneurs/CEOs that offered different tales. Family Matters, Raven, Harvey, Sister Sister, Mr. Cooper, Different World. I'm aging myself but still. These shows would touch on such topics you mention without having to be *about* those topics.
    This is what happens when your writers are DIVERSE. You had folks of different races on all those shows. In some cases like Cosby Show-one guy lead the direction.

    Here is some A Different World Trivia
    "Mammy Dearest" In the wake of her breakup with Dwayne, Whitley organizes an exhibit on images of black women through history, but Kim is troubled by the inclusion of "Mammy" artifacts. Lena discovers that one of Whitley's black antebellum ancestors owned slaves.
    Dean Cain's episode on that show.
    White writers.

    Find writers who can do the job regardless of race. Because there are some black writers I would NEVER want them to touch any black male in X-Men let alone Marvel or DC or Milestone or any comic book company.

    Tyler Perry is number one on that list.

  7. #1342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    My dude Synch just needs to get out of The Vault and finally realize all that potential. IMO he's the only that has a chance of not only catching on like Bishop, but even surpassing Bishop.
    With a name like Synch... ain't happenin' chief. Tbh I always thought Synch was lame. I don't really care about his power potential either because how powerful a character is was never really something that drew me to a character. For me Bishop been cool from the jump and was immediately interested in his character. For one, Bishop is a cool ass name. Just look at any other character in fiction named Bishop... the cop in Assault on Precinct 13, 2Pac in Juice, the android in Aliens... all interesting characters. I know Bishop gets criticism for his early appearances as being just another "angry black man" with a few screws loose, but you know what, so was I... sometimes lol. I'd even go as far to say 90s Bishop is my favorite interpretation of the character.

  8. #1343
    Grizzled Veteran Jackraow21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,963

    Default

    Aaand you just summed up what I was saying way better. Thanks.

    Bad MFer Bishop with the curl and the wallet that says Bad MFer on it in the 90s was the man.

  9. #1344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm sure it's been said already but it bears repeating, not enough Black writers doing X-books if there ever were any.
    But we were just talking about Bry... ah forget it.

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

    Here is some A Different World Trivia
    "Mammy Dearest" In the wake of her breakup with Dwayne, Whitley organizes an exhibit on images of black women through history, but Kim is troubled by the inclusion of "Mammy" artifacts. Lena discovers that one of Whitley's black antebellum ancestors owned slaves.
    Dean Cain's episode on that show.
    White writers.

    Find writers who can do the job regardless of race. Because there are some black writers I would NEVER want them to touch any black male in X-Men let alone Marvel or DC or Milestone or any comic book company.

    Tyler Perry is number one on that list.
    That jail cell scene always sticks out to me. Thank you, I had no idea. One of the greatest shows of all time.
    Boop! Krakoa forever!

  10. #1345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Aaand you just summed up what I was saying way better. Thanks.

    Bad MFer Bishop with the curl and the wallet that says Bad MFer on it in the 90s was the man.
    I could do without the jheri curl tho just like I could do without the Jake from State Farm cut he currently rocking lol. Either braids/dreads or the fresh taper Joe Mad gave him in the mid 90s, those were my favorite looks for Bishop.

  11. #1346
    Grizzled Veteran Jackraow21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,963

    Default

    The dreads were money...

    61CD079D-3341-4DAC-89D2-E4804AB0A209.jpg

  12. #1347
    Incredible Member DavidMunroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bayville High
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm sure it's been said already but it bears repeating, not enough Black writers doing X-books if there ever were any.
    Right on.

    10char.

  13. #1348
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Buuuut....
    Maggot doesn't have lame powers! I think his slug digestive system is pretty cool+ I liked how brash he is
    I always liked that Maggot was a completely unapologetic weirdo.

    The way he looked, talked, acted, and his powers where all just so strange and foreign that even characters that had been aroudn the world and back several times just kinda looked at him and went "... what?"

    I always like a good weirdo character, but I admit that they can be a hard sell.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    With a name like Synch... ain't happenin' chief. Tbh I always thought Synch was lame. I don't really care about his power potential either because how powerful a character is was never really something that drew me to a character. For me Bishop been cool from the jump and was immediately interested in his character. For one, Bishop is a cool ass name. Just look at any other character in fiction named Bishop... the cop in Assault on Precinct 13, 2Pac in Juice, the android in Aliens... all interesting characters. I know Bishop gets criticism for his early appearances as being just another "angry black man" with a few screws loose, but you know what, so was I... sometimes lol. I'd even go as far to say 90s Bishop is my favorite interpretation of the character.
    Is the name the problem? If they gave Sync another name, do you think you'd like the guy better?

  14. #1349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I always liked that Maggot was a completely unapologetic weirdo.

    The way he looked, talked, acted, and his powers where all just so strange and foreign that even characters that had been aroudn the world and back several times just kinda looked at him and went "... what?"

    I always like a good weirdo character, but I admit that they can be a hard sell.



    Is the name the problem? If they gave Sync another name, do you think you'd like the guy better?
    For me personally, the name is just part of the problem. I mean if you take a look at the most popular X-characters the thing that stands out is that their names/codenames are pretty cool for the most part, they just roll off the tongue. Wolverine, Storm, Gambit, and to a lesser extent, Cyclops. Synch probably would've been better off without the code name. I think out of all the Generation X kids minus Jubilee, Monet was probably the one that stood out to me. Yeah she had a silly codename too(M) and she goes by Penance(better still don't like it tho), but I'll always refer to her as Monet.

    Another thing is that I rarely ever take a liking to the younger mutants or heroes in general. That's just a thing with me though.

  15. #1350
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

    How did that work out for Black Panther since 2016?
    How did that work for Cyborg at DC?
    Or Static in New 52? Now his black person was an editor before he got one for the last 2 issues.
    Chuck Clayton on Riverdale?

    I don't trust all black writers. I have seen black men DESTROYED at the hands of black writers.
    1,000 percent this disagree with this, You know better than anyone else bunch of these things aren't real attempts. Batman will get back to back God creative teams, Cyborg will get Ivan Reis for an arc then trash artists for the rest of the time. Static in the new 52 had one of the quick hooks I have ever seen. Black Panther actual sold well with Coates but again were was the attempts to bring in great artists as well. I have rarely seen a project with a black character handle well the lone exceptions have Bendis projects Miles and Naomi, and I guess you can put his Luke Cage in that mix. And that happens because he(Bendis) has level control that rarely afford to black creators and he always back up with great talent and he knows he has a long leash to work with it so he can develop his character slow. Seriously Naomi doesn't have a superhero name yet that how much leash he has that can build his characters for multiple issues without set superhero name.

    Characters get destroyed in hands of white writers all the time as well. Tom King did a hatch job on Wally West but he did so with amazing art and full support of DC. Point me out a Black Writer "destroying" a black character doing that? Then we can have a real convo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •