Page 103 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2172

Its comics, there is no secret agenda. Falcon was once classed as a mutant.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    So...
    (...)
    It's time the X-editors and X-writers are mandated to start focusing on ALL the other poorly represented groups, telling their stories so that we can ALL feel included and seen.
    And yet they won't, for readers of stories such as these, who offer their gold and silvers to acquire and consume such works, seem to be a habitual bunch who refuse anyone who is not the folk their father's fathers read and cheered. Unless they are given ample reason to not close their hearts to those of new ways.
    While the masters of the pen, ink and brush in all their toil could not fullfill their lords wish of reaching untouched souls and minds of women and men of other kind who would open their purse and take the place of the men of habit.

It's a vicious cycle that closes itself like the ouroboros until nothing remains but the dreams of what could have been.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-22-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Ultimate Member

I've had arguments on this site with other X-fans saying the metaphor is good enough. And to that I say no! Actual representation is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Its comics, there is no secret agenda. Falcon was once classed as a mutant.
    Which agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    And yet they won't, for readers of stories such as these, who offer their gold and silvers to acquire and consume such works, seem to be a habitual bunch who refuse anyone who is not the folk their father's fathers read and cheered. While the masters of the pen, ink and brush in all their toil could not fullfill their masters wish of reaching untouched souls and minds of women and men of other kind who would open their purse and take the place of the men of habit.

It's a vicious cycle that closes itself like the ouroboros until nothing remains but the dreams of what could have been.
    You sound like an Asgardian!

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think this is another symptom of white writers not understanding black peoples' hair. It's why I think Storm has straight hair despite being half-Kenyan, half-African-American.

Idk. I don't know if he has African ancestry, but if he doesn't, he's not black in the American sense, he's Australian.
    He is black. Black doesn't ean only people of african descendency

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    He is black. Black doesn't ean only people of african descendency
    Ok but they're not the same race. They experience different prejudices than African people and I don't want to lump them together.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I think this is another symptom of white writers not understanding black peoples' hair. It's why I think Storm has straight hair despite being half-Kenyan, half-African-American.

Idk. I don't know if he has African ancestry, but if he doesn't, he's not black in the American sense, he's Australian.
    Probably not according to American standards, but some Australian Aboriginals identify as black because that's what Australia has historically called and treated them as.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    And yet they won't, for readers of stories such as these, who offer their gold and silvers to acquire and consume such works, seem to be a habitual bunch who refuse anyone who is not the folk their father's fathers read and cheered. Unless they are given ample reason to not close their hearts to those of new ways.
    While the masters of the pen, ink and brush in all their toil could not fullfill their lords wish of reaching untouched souls and minds of women and men of other kind who would open their purse and take the place of the men of habit.

Pretty much.
    So what am I, as a Caribbean middle-aged man of mixed parentage, and Gay who LOVES comic books...supposed to do? While Marvel and the X-Office get their act together?

(that's a legitimate question...btw...for anyone who cares to answer.)
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-22-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Probably not according to American standards, but some Australian Aboriginals identify as black because that's what Australia has historically called and treated them as.
    If that's what Aboriginal Australians identify as, that's their right.

I'm coming more from a perspective of not lumping different PoC groups into one.

Ok but they're not the same race. They experience different prejudices than African people and I don't want to lump them together.
    Race is a social construct though. Australia's been calling Aboriginals black since colonialism. I understand not wanting to lumping people together, but even people of African descent get treated differently according to ethnicity in some places.

Ultimate Member

If that's what Aboriginal Australians identify as, that's their right.

I'm coming more from a perspective of not lumping different PoC groups into one.
    Pretty much.
    So what am I, as a Caribbean middle-aged man of mixed parentage, and Gay who LOVES comic books...supposed to do? While Marvel and the X-Office get their act together?

(that's a legitimate question...btw...for anyone who cares to answer.)
    Can't say for sure. Maybe make your voice heard on social media, and support any books which actually have heroes in your respective demographic? Honestly idk, just trying to be helpful

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Race is a social construct though. Australia's been calling Aboriginals black since colonialism. I understand not wanting to lumping people together, but even people of African descent get treated differently according to ethnicity in some places.
    Of course, i agree race is a social construct, but at the same time Australians don't experience the same types of discrimination Africans do. Bishop being Australian is good for Aboriginal Australians, who are even less represented in Western media than Aboriginal Americans, but it's not representation for African Americans, which is also needed in X-Men and elsewhere

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Can't say for sure. Maybe make your voice heard on social media, and support any books which actually have heroes in your respective demographic? Honestly idk, just trying to be helpful
    Except there are no heroes (or even villains) in my respective demographic. And Social media is just noise and echo...more often than not signifying nothing except a waste of time and energy.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Of course, i agree race is a social construct, but at the same time Australians don't experience the same types of discrimination Africans do. Bishop being Australian is good for Aboriginal Australians, who are even less represented in Western media than Aboriginal Americans, but it's not representation for African Americans, which is also needed in X-Men and elsewhere
    I understand what you're saying.

Except there are no heroes (or even villains) in my respective demographic. And Social media is just noise and echo...more often than not signifying nothing except a waste of time and energy.
    Aren't Blink, Cecilia, and Doctor Voodoo West Indian?

But if Bishop never lived in Australia and only lived in the U.S. his lived experience could be much closer to that of an African-American person. Of course we know that he lived in dystopian future where he probably wasn’t even thinking bout all that...

Also Dev’s point earlier shut it down. We ALL need more representation and it’s up to the editors and writers to get it together.