Page 104 of 145 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2172

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Race is a social construct though. Australia's been calling Aboriginals black since colonialism. I understand not wanting to lumping people together, but even people of African descent get treated differently according to ethnicity in some places.
    British Asians were still called “black” as late as the 80s. Us Colonisers are big on defining people as we choose.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

People keep assuming Bishop can't be a relative of the Aborginal Gateway and African American at the same time lol.

Aren't Blink, Cecilia, and Doctor Voodoo West Indian?
    I can't remember if The Bahamas is considered West Indian territory right now but Cecilia and Voodoo have ties to Domincan Republic and Haiti unless someone retconned something.
    "Cable was right!"

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Aren't Blink, Cecilia, and Doctor Voodoo West Indian?
    Blink will be in Way of X...but I don't like the art on that.
    Cecilia shows up here and there...but not consistently.
    Voodoo is in Strange Academy (which I'm reading)...but isn't the main character.
    And none of them are gay.

Seems I'm doomed for disappointment either which way.

Seeing as how we cannot find proper representation, might I suggest We...all Readers of Colour, LGBTQ+ and differently abled, WE ALL boycott the X-Men books and Marvel and DC comics until they change.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-22-2021 at 12:03 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Except there are no heroes (or even villains) in my respective demographic. And Social media is just noise and echo...more often than not signifying nothing except a waste of time and energy.
    That's too bad. I understand cynicism towards social media but i think ti can have some positive effect

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    But if Bishop never lived in Australia and only lived in the U.S. his lived experience could be much closer to that of an African-American person. Of course we know that he lived in dystopian future where he probably wasn’t even thinking bout all that...

Also Dev’s point earlier shut it down. We ALL need more representation and it’s up to the editors and writers to get it together.
    I agree we need more representation from everyone! Different PoC groups shouldn't have to compete with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    People keep assuming Bishop can't be a relative of the Aborginal Gateway and African American at the same time lol.
    True. He can be both. i think Marvel should make it clear if it hasn't already

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Do the details on Bishop's background really matter? At least he's included in an ongoing title along with Manifold, Synch, and Prodigy. I can see Manifold getting more hype than Bishop if they ever adapt S.W.O.R.D. to a mainstream audience.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Do the details on Bishop's background really matter? At least he's included in an ongoing title along with Manifold, Synch, and Prodigy. I can see Manifold getting more hype than Bishop if they ever adapt S.W.O.R.D. to a mainstream audience.
    Yes they do and no they don't...not really (if it doesn't directly inform the story in which he is being written).

And there should be much more to the character's placement and use than just "inclusion".
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I mean yeah the X-Men are definitely lacking in representation ACROSS the board. Right now I think it’s only Jubilee, Karma, Daken, Wiz Kid, Kwannon, and Armor that are appearing consistently. At the same time it shouldn’t be on fans who already aren’t seeing themselves represented to speak for EVERY other group.
    BINGO and the thing is the x-men already have group full of underdeveloped BLACK x-characters.
    I wanna see Darkveil fleshed out, I wanna see MORE Frenzy which is great she's getting some shine now.
    I wanna seee Synch and Darwin become FRONTLINE characters...these two have two of the most powerful powersets, they need to be getting the same treatment as the white x-men who now receive most of the attention.

I wanna see black stories told through the lense of a mutant world, Krakoa is here to stay so give us good sci fi black stories.

Blink will be in Way of X...but I don't like the art on that.
    Cecilia shows up here and there...but not consistently.
    Voodoo is in Strange Academy (which I'm reading)...but isn't the main character.
    And none of them are gay.

Seems I'm doomed for disappointment either which way.

Seeing as how we cannot find proper representation, might I suggest We...all Readers of Colour, LGBTQ+ and differently abled, WE ALL boycott the X-Men books and Marvel and DC comics until they change.
    Idk whether Darkveil is the G or T because I know drag queens sometimes identify as female such as peppermint.
    Drag came from the ballroom era so I'm a little excited to see Darkveil fleshed out as a Queer or T, it'd be nice to see trans representation as well with black characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    Idk whether Darkveil is the G or T because I know drag queens sometimes identify as female such as peppermint.
    Drag came from the ballroom era so I'm a little excited to see Darkveil fleshed out as a Queer or T, it'd be nice to see trans representation as well with black characters.
    It would be nice to see all these things and actual representation across the board but...what do we do in the interim? ...Besides continually voicing our displeasure across the ether and wallowing in our disappointments?

Ultimate Member

I think it does to some extent. We can't gauge who's not being represented if we don't know they're background. And white writers have some infamy in not understanding the nuances of different ethnic backgrounds.

Is it the only thing about him that matters? No. Is the main thing? Again, no. His storyline is the most. But his background still matters IMO.

As for SWORD, it's already entered the MCU in WandaVision, and possibly FFH

It would be nice to see all these things and actual representation across the board but...what do we do in the interim? ...Besides continually voicing our displeasure across the ether and wallowing in our disappointments?
    Can we send letters?

Because the x-office does need to know these things because in execution I want all these things we're asking for to be done without looking like

Let's make it authentic, artistic, thoughtful and meaningful.
    Meaningful comicbook stories, please.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    Can we send letters?

Because the x-office does need to know these things because in execution I want all these things we're asking for to be done without looking like

Let's make it authentic, artistic, thoughtful and meaningful.
    Meaningful comicbook stories, please.
    Who are those two?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Who are those two?
    Snowflake and Safespace

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Who are those two?
    Snowflake and Safespace.

As for SWORD, it's already entered the MCU in WandaVision, and possibly FFH
    I can see the MCU introducing Abigail Brand after the events of WandaVision.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

With Vita, and other PoC and LGBTQ+ represented in the X-Office, currently I'm sure/hoping they're putting forth their interests and ideas.
    It's a start.

Also...we have to keep in mind that there are other factors and criteria than "representation for representation's sake" that as creatives they have to weigh heavily and they have to view the "big picture" in the present and going forward.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-22-2021 at 12:58 PM.