Page 106 of 145 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2172

I just want my black x-kings and x-queens to look as sharp

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Sorry I don't get the answer
    Yes to both parts of your question.
    The fact that he has very little comic-book writing talent led him to make the most unfortunate and unpopular of writing choices.

Even if they hired a PoC to be Head of X...that person will still have to write and delegate and conduct according to certain guidelines and measures as he's only one part (and not even the highest) of a larger system that involves many different moving parts.

Sure...he/she might say let's put PoC and their stories to the forefront. And that may look and sound good in premise but they still have to assign the best writers and artists to bring those stories to life with truth and honesty. Is he now supposed to fire ALL the non-PoC creatives in the room? Is he now going to mandate that Emma, Scott Jean and Wolverine be sidelined in favour of Storm, Jean-Paul and Trinary? That just recreates the same problem from another perspective. And instead of disgruntled Storm and Bishop fans we'll now have even more disgruntled Emma Jean and Rogue fans...and nothing would have changed.

I hate to play the comparison game and bring up BP again but...as a Black IP at its height it will never attain the figures of certain top-tier X-books at their most mediocre. So...It's not just about giving the un-represented demographic what we want. We also need to be positively and meaningfully entertained and engaged and satisfied with the product...consistently.

Because Goddess knows I will absolutely not support a book featuring mainly PoC by a PoC creative team telling PoC stories if that team is serving me faeces and a side of garbage and a large drink of piss, for $3.99.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-22-2021 at 06:25 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The fact that he has very little comic-book writing talent led him to make the most unfortunate and unpopular of writing choices.
    Ok. I've heard opinion on it is divided. I haven't caught up to it yet

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    As sharp as?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    and to read as bold

As sharp as?
    As they can
    As anyone else
    As much as Emma is

Just as sharp AS.
    No ending. GIVE Darwin some hair and his natural skin tone, let's start there haha whew

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    and to read as bold
    If you mean read like how I mean it, YES lol

Astonishing Member

Ok. I've heard opinion on it is divided. I haven't caught up to it yet
    Divided is being generous. Sales are godawful despite the character being more popular than ever and his average sales when you take out #1s are inferior to Hudlin and only slightly better than Priests (without their #1s). And I think he’s put up the majority or close to the majority of the lowest selling BP issues of all time. These last few issues are relying on a shit ton of variant covers and guest writers to prop sales in the hopes of turning a profit. If you leave the Twitter and Tumblr sphere his run is getting thoroughly trashed in most online spaces and very little of his contributions outside the aesthetics of Brian Stelfreeze have carried over into other books/mediums.

The Coates experiment is a failure for the most part (save the first trade sales and World of Wakanda) and most fans are looking forward to his run ending with a whimper. He’s a perfect example of selecting a POC writer because of credentials or name recognition irrelevant to comics and the book suffering. It’s actually funny, Coates BP run is clearly designed to be a soft pitch to eventually write X-Men and I think it’ll be interesting to see what he does if he brings his disastrous brand of writing to mutants. The standard for writing POC characters needs to be higher than simply sharing that arbitrary trait, it needs to be accompanied by a genuine respect and desire to uplift and do good things with those characters.

Ultimate Member

What is the main problem?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

What is the main problem?
    ProblemS...plural. And you just need to visit the BP appreciation thread to get a more comprehensive idea of what we've been dealing with for the past 5 years.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

ProblemS...plural. And you just need to visit the BP appreciation thread to get a more comprehensive idea of what we've been dealing with for the past 5 years.
    Ok. I'll read it at some point

I relaly don't get why all white creative teams can be awful (cable for example is a lot worse than Fallen Angels) but POC have to be all great

Even if they hired a PoC to be Head of X...that person will still have to write and delegate and conduct according to certain guidelines and measures as he's only one part (and not even the highest) of a larger system that involves many different moving parts.

Sure...he/she might say let's put PoC and their stories to the forefront. And that may look and sound good in premise but they still have to assign the best writers and artists to bring those stories to life with truth and honesty. Is he now supposed to fire ALL the non-PoC creatives in the room? Is he now going to mandate that Emma, Scott Jean and Wolverine be sidelined in favour of Storm, Jean-Paul and Trinary? That just recreates the same problem from another perspective. And instead of disgruntled Storm and Bishop fans we'll now have even more disgruntled Emma Jean and Rogue fans...and nothing would have changed.

I hate to play the comparison game and bring up BP again but...as a Black IP at its height it will never attain the figures of certain top-tier X-books at their most mediocre. So...It's not just about giving the un-represented demographic what we want. We also need to be positively and meaningfully entertained and engaged and satisfied with the product...consistently.

Because Goddess knows I will absolutely not support a book featuring mainly PoC by a PoC creative team telling PoC stories if that team is serving me faeces and a side of garbage and a large drink of piss, for $3.99.
    But why does this topic have to have the most unrealistic examples?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I relaly don't get why all white creative teams can be awful (cable for example is a lot worse than Fallen Angels) but POC have to be all great
    I'm not quite following you

I'm not quite following you
    There is a lot of white creators that does awful jobs and nobody uses the color of the skin as a problem.

But if black writers do a awful job, it's like the color of the skin weight a lot more against them
    Last edited by Rang10; 03-22-2021 at 07:46 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    There is a lot of white creators that does awful jobs and nobody uses the color of the skin as a problem.

But if black writers do a awful job, it's like the color of the skin weight a lot more.
    Ok I see. Yeah the skin color thing is messy. I do think white artists have troublr acknowledging how important thr nuances are.