Page 110 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 2172
    Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    No one replied earlier. Is it canon that Domino is a black woman in the comics now? She did have a story in Voices Legacy, even though the story didn't bring up her background.
    She's still white in her latest appearances.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    That's really what I wish they made Monet. Then she wouldn't have her whitewashing justified by Algerians =/= dark.

In some art depictions, she's got a nice Iman Bowie thing going.

This causes as much issue, if not more, as Bishop randomly being Australian.
    Saying Bishop "randomly Australian" is weird, it's like saying Storm being Kenyan is random. There's nothing about Bishop that hints that him being aboriginal wasn't a part of his character creation.

I feel like some people are trying to erase Bishop aboriginal heritage in this thread.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Somali, South African.

Is this from the comment that said most Asian mutants are Japanese or Chinese? It is weird how despite the mutants not being restricted to one country, they tend to gravitate to the same ethnicities. But I'd rather they explore the different cultures they already have first.
    Yes.
    I was just highlighting how expansive the issue can become when every specific nationality of the race needs to be represented. Exploring Culture might be the more plausible way to go as you can have peoples of varying and similar ethnicities and nationalities be part of a single culture.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Saying Bishop "randomly Australian" is weird, it's like saying Storm being Kenyan is random. There's nothing about Bishop that hints that him being aboriginal wasn't a part of his character creation.

I feel like some people are trying to erase Bishop aboriginal heritage in this thread.
    I don't know if anyone's necessarily trying to do that, but it could come across like that. The thing is, black ancestry is also historically and unfairly minimized in characters, so I can see people trying to support his African ancenstry. IMO it should be both. He is of African and Australian descent.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That was my point though...it's two different types of criticisms. But they are criticisms levelled at the creators. It doesn't really matter the reasons or the specifics.
    The same characterisation critique that Vita got for Storm in one issue is basically the same issue many have with Tini for her Excalibur team, to varying degrees...throughout her run so far.
    And let's be clear, Duggan has gotten serious flack from day one by making Kate his central plot, not putting Storm in a leading role, making Emma the HBIC, not utilising the men.
    And really, ALL of us have our own specific critiques we level at them on a daily basis whether vocally or silently, it's just that most of our complaints tend to overlap.
    And it works both ways. Some people that didn’t complain about Vita’s Marauders would have complained if a white man wrote it. BP fans have been called anti-black for shitting on Coates’ direction with the character. There’s a segment of fans who will fight tooth and nail to defend ever creative decision a POC and/or LGBT writer makes and will personally criticize those who disagree, even if those critics themselves are POC/LGBT like the writer. So while yes there’s definitely some fans who will complain regardless of who’s on the creative team, there is a vocal minority of people who will accept anything as long as it comes from a non-straight white male.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Yes.
    I was just highlighting how expansive the issue can become when every specific nationality of the race needs to be represented. Exploring Culture might be the more plausible way to go as you can have peoples of varying and similar ethnicities and nationalities be part of a single culture.
    Probably because the writers were historically mostly Anglo-American so they chose ethnicities more represented in American media

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't know if anyone's necessarily trying to do that, but it could come across like that. The thing is, black ancestry is also historically and unfairly minimized in characters, so I can see people trying to support his African ancenstry. IMO it should be both. He is of African and Australian descent.
    The thing is, he's always been just Aboriginal from the get-go. He doesn't need to have African ancestry to avoid getting white-washed/having his blackness minimized. It wouldn't even help that much. Storm's African but she gets whitewashed more than Gateway does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    You definitely bring up a lot of good points and I think I should have been more specific in my observation. It seemed weird to me that 12 issues of Duggan barely utilizing Storm passed with minimal commentary or it being taken as an unfortunate reality, but then people completely write off Vita for that one issue.

Again you do make good points about how people react to their fan-favorites that I’ll think about in the future.
    Duggan get many critics about that on twitter, not sure if the same happens here.

I think they put Vita on a hard position

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    And it works both ways. Some people that didn’t complain about Vita’s Marauders would have complained if a white man wrote it. BP fans have been called anti-black for shitting on Coates’ direction with the character. There’s a segment of fans who will fight tooth and nail to defend ever creative decision a POC and/or LGBT writer makes and will personally criticize those who disagree, even if those critics themselves are POC/LGBT like the writer. So while yes there’s definitely some fans who will complain regardless of who’s on the creative team, there is a vocal minority of people who will accept anything as long as it comes from a non-straight white male.
    This is whataboutism, and does nothing to address the monopoly white writers have and have held for decades and not at all true, there are people in this very thread stating they didn't like Vita's Marauders and have given valid reasons why they didn't prefer Coates Black Panther. And this is all without mentioning the way of hate, POC and LGBT writers receive anytime they access a job in predominantly white spaces...
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 03-23-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Why this threads always end up being about Monet? Isn't this thread about black MALE X-Men?
    We don't discriminate...
    I don't mean to be rude but I'm not sure you're getting my point. Pretend bigotry isn't the same as real bigotry. This whole thread is about why black male X-Men haven't caught on, and I'm saying it's because predominantly white writers may think they don't have to promote black male X-Men because they think the metaphor is good enough.
    Oh. Well that's not it. lol
    However, using a white stand-in isn't actual visible representation, which is more needed. You keep saying PoC can empathize with white heroes, but what about the reverse? Seeing actual black heroes right actual racism would go a long way to make white readers more aware of the actual situation the X-Men comics approp
    If local News, Network News, Radio, Facebook, Twitter, etc haven't made you aware of some of the shady sh!t going down. It's not gonna be a monthly comic about heroes that finally awakens your wokeness. Marvel could by not whitewashing the PoC characters they do have. Like if the Pretender actually looked Romi instead white she might've been an easier villain to empathize with. Also you can't appropriate Hatred.

I realize mixed people have different hues. That's kinda what I'm saying. Also I'm not sure what your last paragraph is even saying
    Basically just saying she's not. Her Dads Black, Mom likely is to.
    Why do you think she's mixed?
    No one replied earlier. Is it canon that Domino is a black woman in the comics now? She did have a story in Voices Legacy, even though the story didn't bring up her background.
    Yes.
    But I'd rather they explore the different cultures they already have first.
    True True
    She's still white in her latest appearances.
    I think You mean Domino is an XMan that still ha with a physical mutation
    GrindrStone(D)

The thing is, he's always been just Aboriginal from the get-go. He doesn't need to have African ancestry to avoid getting white-washed/having his blackness minimized. It wouldn't even help that much. Storm's African but she gets whitewashed more than Gateway does.
    Can you maybe guide us where to find all this Aborigine evidence concerning Bishops background?
    Is that image supposed to highlight his Aboriginal ancestry?

I guess hyperbole isn't used as much these days...
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    You talking to the wrong group. Because when we imagine new team line ups.. Those of us who are Black and who campaign for Black characters also put other BIPOC folks on teams. I am always here for more Black representation but if you go back through my posts I always am pushing for characters like Dani, Warpath, Risque, Neal shaara, etc to also be represented. Black people arent the mule of POC movements. The onus should not be on us for us to fight for representation of other groups. That energy should be directed at white creators who arent diversifying the books period!
    Can’t be better said

She more then likely is now they still haven’t revealed much about her parents/upbringing so they may go into detail about at some point ( Hopefully soon her then later)... She one of these characters who if I remember correctly never was revealed to be any race so they they probably decided to say is black or mixed black who like the actress who plays her. Which in a small way help x-books/x-office & the current x-force book look a lil less overly white to a small degree..

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Big facts

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    We don't discriminate...

Oh. Well that's not it. lol
    What do you mean?

If local News, Network News, Radio, Facebook, Twitter, etc haven't made you aware of some of the shady sh!t going down. It's not gonna be a monthly comic about heroes that finally awakens your wokeness. Marvel could by not whitewashing the PoC characters they do have. Like if the Pretender actually looked Romi instead white she might've been an easier villain to empathize with. Also you can't appropriate Hatred.
    You're still going with this Pretender stuff? Isn't that furthering the corporate divide between the Avengers and the X-Men?

Basically just saying she's not. Her Dads Black, Mom likely is to.
    Why do you think she's mixed?
    I though I heard that somewhere. Could be my mistake.

Don’t have much else to add to the Vita/ Storm discussion, but you guys have brought up a lot of great points that definitely got me thinking!

Can you maybe guide us where to find all this Aborigine evidence concerning Bishops background?
    Is that image supposed to highlight his Aboriginal ancestry?
    He looks Aboriginal and is canonically a child of two Aboriginal Australians.