Page 16 of 145 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Monet is supposed be Algerian. Generation x first few issues further including the appearance in Phalanx arc.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Monet is supposed be Algerian. Generation x first few issues further including the appearance in Phalanx arc.
    Her appearance in the first 9 issues of GenX was definitely NOT her Phalnax designs. lol
    Attachment 76312
    Left-hand side is Phalanx Covenant.
    Right-Hand is the first GenX design.

And M's race has been argued a lot. We could get into the racial politics of real-life, but it's a comic made by white men. She was depicted with stereotypical black features in PC.
    There really was no need to deviate from that design. But it happened. And despite some occasional questionable designs in GenX, she was mostly depicted with brown dark skin & features that are associated with black people. She was usually in the ballpark of Synch, and even he suffered some skin lightening.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-07-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Monet is supposed be Algerian.
    North Africa is complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    North Africa is complicated.
    Best way to put that. Also adding the fact Algerian isn't a race. It's a nationality. There's a difference between Nationality, Race, and Ethnicity.,
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-06-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Best way to put that. Also adding the fact Algerian isn't a race. It's a nationality. There's a difference between Nationality, Race, and Ethnicity.,
    That said, it doesn’t take much to research how likely a dignitary from Algeria would have Middle Eastern, Berber, Mediterranean, or Nilotic features. Part of why I ship Monet/Berto is so their presumed mixed-race melanin can glow together.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I wonder if the reason that so few black characters have caught on are because of the difficulty of getting new characters to stick and become superstars in general and lack of interest from Marvel creators?
    I think the positive is that when Marvel takes over movie rights for the X-Men we'll see that real effort will come to have proper incorporation of black males in the X-men and I'm sure that going forward based on what Marvel movie verse will do what the comics side has like zero guts and vision to do.
    Look at Dc Comics and they are just as guilty.

And at least the black X-Men were never this disrespected-Malcolm Duncan was DC's first black hero. What has he done in 49 years in comics?

I think for many the writers are the issue.

So many have DREAMED of writing certain characters that it overshadows everyone else.

Look at Duke Thomas under Tom King 50+ Batman Rebirth issues and Duke panel time couldn't fill up a trade.

And then are the editors looking for pitches with blacks in them? I doubt it because aside from Bishop-what has been done with the black male mutant population?

We are 10 years removed from Prodigy being SOMETHING in X-Men. Since then he was made into a joke in Antman, a prop in Young Avengers & stuck in America's book. He's now in Champions.

Right now there is no material out there to sell those black characters to gain interest. It comes to a point of why bother? Under you get FORCED to. I can see the X-Office being FORCED to do something. Because that is a bad look.

To have Miles (among others) running around and your franchise is struggling and it looks like you can't be BOTHERED.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Look at Dc Comics and they are just as guilty.

And at least the black X-Men were never this disrespected-Malcolm Duncan was DC's first black hero. What has he done in 49 years in comics?

I think for many the writers are the issue.

So many have DREAMED of writing certain characters that it overshadows everyone else.

Look at Duke Thomas under Tom King 50+ Batman Rebirth issues and Duke panel time couldn't fill up a trade.

And then are the editors looking for pitches with blacks in them? I doubt it because aside from Bishop-what has been done with the black male mutant population?

We are 10 years removed from Prodigy being SOMETHING in X-Men. Since then he was made into a joke in Antman, a prop in Young Avengers & stuck in America's book. He's now in Champions.

Right now there is no material out there to sell those black characters to gain interest. It comes to a point of why bother? Under you get FORCED to. I can see the X-Office being FORCED to do something. Because that is a bad look.

To have Miles (among others) running around and your franchise is struggling and it looks like you can't be BOTHERED.
    So thats where he is, looks like i'll have to catch up on Champions

You say this like it contradicts her being whitewashed.

Extraordinary Member

Genesis(Evan Sabahnur)i think is racially brown,not black.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Not to get into this stupid debate, but nearly every Black person in the Americas has European, Asian, and/or Native Americans. To just try to push people with one non Black parent has "biracial" is really offensive to our family histories, and it's ridiculous to claim this person is more "mixed" than that person.
    Bi- racial means a person that has one parent of a different race or is half of something.

In real life i would not say or it's not nearly black every person in the americas have those admixtures ,but a majority do have some form of recent european admixture and you know the real reason for that,but it's not a overwhelming majority like some folks think.

Most blacks in the americas do not have asian or native american admixture.
    In some countries of the americas most blacks are unmixed blacks by the way.

In comicbook tv,movies,books and video game fantasy/sci-fi marvel,dc,image,idw universes etc..most blacks in the americas of course do not have any european admixture at all.
    Anyway i think you know that.

Anyway here is a list of some marvel characters that are bi-racial.
    THREAD: MARVEL CHARACTERS OF MIXED RACE
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-of-Mixed-Race
    Last edited by mace11; 01-07-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Someone mention dravidians.
    The black looking dravidians are the original population of south asia.
    They are not black africans,they are black asians but they have black african origins just like all humans from earth.

Monet and sunspot from what i have seen when they are not drawn clearly black they are drawn sometimes racially brown.
    Only once in awhile they are drawn white just like once in a while i would see white characters drawn black or brown.

By the way characters of color or women in the x-men books that i have read so far have not been written as tokens.

Any woman or poc that has been a main team member as not been written as tokens from my point of view.
    There is more development for women and poc in x-men books then g.i joe books for example.

There are always going to be handful or certain amount of characters use at a time in the x-men books from all races.
    There are more black male and asian male mutants then some folks think for example but a certain amount is going to be use just like the whites ones.
    There are more native american mutants then some folks thing too.
    Let's keep in mind that in most of the x-men team books the majority will be white.
    That's just the way it is.
    I said the majority of the time,not all the time or even if it is a majority of the time it will not be some times overwhelmingly white.
    Anyway marvel is truly highly diverse,but is there room for more improvements? of course.
    These things take time but progress has happen and will continue to happen.
    That's all i have to say about that and for the topic i replied to above.

Anyway here is a list of mutants from marvel.
    Mutants
    https://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/List_o...M-Day_-_Part_I
    and
    https://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/List_o...-Day_-_Part_II

https://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Catego...=1546859156513
    Last edited by mace11; 01-07-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Anyway check out diversity,coates and storm talk etc.. in another thread.

THREAD: BLACK PANTHER AND THE CREW CANCELLED WITH ISSUE 6
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Issue-6/page13
    Last edited by mace11; 01-07-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Never forget

omg STAHP IT. That is NOT Monet St. Croix!!!! Are you effing with me right now???

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    omg STAHP IT. That is NOT Monet St. Croix!!!! Are you effing with me right now???
    ¿Dónde están los editores?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Well Weapon X was never known for being faithful to characters. Monet was messed up in design & characterization. lol For such a snobby character, she was really soft in Weapon X.

Far as that horrid coloring, I TRIED to correct it a bit. But only so much can be done.
    Attachment 76355

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    ¿Dónde están los editores?
    Chris Robinson was the main editor for this comic, and he already showed a lack of understanding for the characters. I am still pissed on his comments regarding Sabretooth.

Plus there was so many continuity errors in that book, it's no shock they didn't get Monet's coloring right. Examples
    1. Monet mentions summoning Sabretooth through her "parents", when she only has one.
    2. Mystique saying she never believed Sabretooth's "inversion thing", despite being with him in AXIS when it happened & being inverted herself temporarily.
    3. Deathstrike didn't know Monet's powers, despite fighting her in X-Men vol 4.
    4. Sabretooth feeling guilty that he wasn't there for Monet when she was in trouble with Emplate. He let her feed off of his life force, which slowly killed him & may have worn down his inversion. So he did try to help her.
    5. Mystique referring to Monet as a "mere mortal" when Monet has died twice & come back to life, then was compared to a Goddess by Enchantress.
    6. Then there's older stuff like Sabretooth not knowing how to hunt or use a keyboard. Or Warpath being able to fly, but needing to wear flying wings like everyone else in the Nuke arc.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Never forget

How can I forget Betty Brant?