Page 29 of 145 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I don’t think a name will hold most characters back. Its how they are used thats the issue. If every apperance Gentle is in and he is used only to lift heavey objects or be the whipping boy of another character, no one will care to read about him or if he is used or not.

Gentle has to be an actual character with his own opinions, beilefs, and stances. He has to actually have a role in stories that expound more then fulfill point A to point B task for other characters.

Stuff like that draws fans to other characters.
    Yeah, that's the REST of what would make him a more popular character. Of course JUST the name alone won't make or break a character, but you have to admit that a stupid codename certainly doesn't help. I've always been convinced that that's part of the reason why "Strong Guy"'s development and use has been so limited. He definitely could have and should have been used more on the main team by now, especially since there is more to his power beneath the surface than JUST being strong.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 01-23-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Yeah, that's the REST of what would make him a more popular character. Of course JUST the name alone won't make or break a character, but you have to admit that a stupid codename certainly doesn't help. I've always been convinced that that's part of the reason why "Strong Guy"'s development and use has been so limited. He definitely could have and should have been used more on the main team by now, especially since there is more to his power beneath the surface than JUST being strong.
    Yea, I agree its not the best name or my first choice. The only hope we have is that someone use the character in a way that complements the name but also demonstrate how epic the character could be.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    loveable but brash ex-con
    Jesse Aaronson, Bedlam, has legs as an angry, destructive powerhouse who could be used to speak on the school-to-prison pipeline, mass incarceration, and racial inequities in America.

Shola Inkose, Link, has legs as a disenfranchised African refugee denied education and employment opportunities much less a home or voice in the United States.

Without black creators there are no black creations or characters to even talk about.
    There could be someday, they could even have names like Prodigy, Triage or Gentle, that'd be great, but those characters haven't happened yet.
    Last edited by sungila; 01-23-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They really should double down on his Wakanda connections. If the X-men wont use him, there's potential to use him in Black Panther or even the Avengers
    There have been so many young heroes from Wakanda you could probably make a team of them at this point

Shuri
    Vibraxas
    Queen Divine Justice
    Gentle
    Atlas Bear from Domino and the Hotshots

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Y'know, I always felt a bit sorry for Bishop. Having such a sucky childhood and then turned soldier. I mean fighting's been most of his life and sometimes you just don't know anything else.

Y'know I love you Kurt and Bobby and you too Hank (Though, not much these days Beast dude), but you can be chatty too, y'know. Just give this guy a break ok? Geez.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Y'know, I always felt a bit sorry for Bishop. Having such a sucky childhood and then turned soldier. I mean fighting's been most of his life and sometimes you just don't know anything else.

Y'know I love you Kurt and Bobby and you too Hank (Though, not much these days Beast dude), but you can be chatty too, y'know. Just give this guy a break ok? Geez.
    I always had the impression that Bishop was written like he was a Klingon, only this isn't Star Trek.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I always had the impression that Bishop was written like he was a Klingon, only this isn't Star Trek.
    That would make two of us. Even in my early teens I read his dialog and thought: Oh this is a cheap way of getting out of writing an American black voice. God bless Michael Dorn, but Worf and Tuvok were the stiffest oars on the ship(s).

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Without black creators there are no black creations or characters to even talk about.
    There could be someday, they could even have names like Prodigy, Triage or Gentle, that'd be great, but those characters haven't happened yet.
    Cute but naw, it's one thing to drop a "quota" character into place and have them as perpetual wallflowers. Flip all that! Why can't this editorial/writing group have the nuts to give any of those mutants you just listed agency to the degree that they are leading and sharing the same spotlight with a Logan, jean or Scott? These stories are so dated, done over and dry cause the lack of imagination and the fact the same few main characters are overused. All major storylines seem to be around Jean, Scott, Logan and/or Magneto..!!

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Haha! I was thinking about this myself the other day. Micheal Dorn would have done an awesome Bishop voice in an X-Men cartoon.

I miss that Bishop.
    I miss all the exceptionally distinct unique vantage points that a lot of folks had once upon a time.

I want more "In the future..." stories from Bishop. It reminded me of Jubilee's "when I was with the X-Men..." stories. haha.
    I want Amara to be an ignorant Ancient Roman weirdo again, baffled by computers and hot pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That would make two of us. Even in my early teens I read his dialog and thought: Oh this is a cheap way of getting out of writing an American black voice. God bless Michael Dorn, but Worf and Tuvok were the stiffest oars on the ship(s).
    It's really easy for white writers put PoC into stereotypes. Bishop was the super serious black character that didn't knew how to have fun and then later became the angry black character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    He'd make the perfect mentor to the Young Xmen. They've known tragedy and basically war at the same age. He's probably one of the few adult Xmen that would fit that role the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I miss that Bishop.
    I miss all the exceptionally distinct unique vantage points that a lot of folks had once upon a time.

I want more "In the future..." stories from Bishop. It reminded me of Jubilee's "when I was with the X-Men..." stories. haha.
    I want Amara to be an ignorant Ancient Roman weirdo again, baffled by computers and hot pockets.
    Make the Xmen Great Again.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It's really easy for white writers put PoC into stereotypes. Bishop was the super serious black character that didn't knew how to have fun and then later became the angry black character.
    It baffles me when people use Claremont's depictions of the New Mutants as how they SHOULD look/act...those were extremely stereotypical and cringe worthy depictions.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    He'd make the perfect mentor to the Young Xmen. They've known tragedy and basically war at the same age. He's probably one of the few adult Xmen that would fit that role the best.
    That would be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post

It baffles me when people use Claremont's depictions of the New Mutants as how they SHOULD look/act...those were extremely stereotypical and cringe worthy depictions.
    Uh No....just No