Page 41 of 145 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Lol lawd sometimes this ain't even enough....look at the way he's been cast in the films. If it wasn't such an obvious racial IDGAF it'd be funny
    That happened because we as fans didn't btch about enough to Marvel. We accepted the miscolors over and over until someone can say why are you guys make a big deal about this " He has been colored lighter consistently, The actor looks just like this art here". That's why every time Storm (who has been casted with lighter skinned black actress as well) has been colored all crazy light skin in Marauders we have to complain about it. Or else they will confidently do this

adan-canto-sunspot.jpg
    1496394849-henry-zaga-sunspot.jpg

for this guy

Whatever people want to classify him as Black,Afro Latino, Mulatto, Mixed it doesn't matter, He is supposed to have darker skin
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-13-2019 at 04:27 AM.

For me as an AA, there never really felt like one to connect with, and after X-men was insanely popular in the 90s, I don't remember any black male X-men getting that push after Bishop. Maaaaaybe Prodigy for a second? But his powers didn't really make an impression on me. This is why I still appreciate the WB Static cartoon to this day lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    They didn't think about it? Artistic vision is personal…
    I mean is this an excuse? It's a strange exclusion tho...if an artist was tasked to draw 10 new characters I would like to think they"d avoid making all of them straight white dudes it wouldn't seem realistic at fvcking all
    GrindrStone(D)

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Not caught on? Well, first you have to have black characters other than Bishop. Bishop isn't even 'black' if you mean African American. His family is apparently descended from Aborigines (Australia) after they retconned him to be the grandson of Gateway.

It's less of a problem with black male characters catching on and more that creators don't make them. And if they do, they kill them off. Synch is an example of a fan favorite that they needlessly killed off. He should have been resurrected by now, but he's been dead longer than most.

The only other black male character I can think of are Jesse Bedlam, Prodigy, Tag and Triage. You see what happened to them. Tag was a minor character among a dozen minor characters that got repowered and killed. Triage was a Bendis creation, this was doomed to not be very interesting, and killed. Prodigy, again, depowered and shipped off to other parts of the MU to be a woke quippy sidekick. These aren't even X-Men. They are students. Might not even count.

Bedlam was X-Force but I believe was depowered and, yep killed. Crucified if I'm not mistaken. Hung from wood. That doesn't bring up any bad memories. Great move there Marvel. I forgot Gentle, but he's never utilized enough. He barely has a personality. Again, he's a kid, not a full fledged X-Man. And dammit if Marvel makes another black X-Man from Africa, I'm going to... Probably not do a darn thing, but it's frustrating. These books are based in America yet most of the black characters that are alive are from Africa or other countries, like we don't exist here. And no, all black people don't each other and automatically get along. I'm looking at you 'Black Panther and the Crew'. What horrible name..

There's Sunspot but he's been given the Michael Jackson treatment over the years and I can't tell he's black-ish at all anymore. I suppose you can count Maggot but he was just a tragically developed character that didn't have much of a chance. He never fit in.

Its not a "black" problem, it's a lack of creativity of the writers put on the X-Men. I've said the X-Men aren't exactly the best examples of "inclusivity" for a long time. Heck, isn't Hill the first black person to write full-time on an X-Men title in 60+ years? Am I wrong? Fallen Angels doesn't have a "X" in it...

It's funny with what people claimed the X-Men to be about that (civil rights) that it's been so lacking of real diversity for years, despite a decent catalog of characters and opportunity.

X-Men creators don't seem comfortable with creating and developing black men. When they introduce one it's a punk kid with problems that needs to be "shown the way", or young enough that they can mold them into whatever they want before they or the next writer kills them off or just writes them into Oblivion. This has nothing to do with "catching on" black men appear to be invisible for the most part. The adult African Americans anyway.

Seeing as this thread is already 40+ pages I'm sure this has been brought up by now.

Ahh #&#$. I'm going to write an article about this...
    Last edited by donpricetag; 12-13-2019 at 06:05 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post

Its not a "black" problem, it's a lack of creativity of the writers put on the X-Men. I've said the X-Men aren't exactly the best examples of "inclusivity" for a long time. Heck, isn't Hill the first black person to write full-time on an X-Men title in 60+ years? Am I wrong? Fallen Angels doesn't have a "X" in it...

It's funny with what people claimed the X-Men to be about that (civil rights) that it's been so lacking of real diversity for years, despite a decent catalog of characters and opportunity.

Seeing as this thread is already 40+ pages I'm sure this has been brought up by now.
    You have brought and interesting point has black person ever written the main X-men book? I know Vita Alya and Hill of course have written books in the X-line. But has a black person ever gotten a extended run not just one shot or something. I think this might have been talk about before in thread but I am really curious to know the answer now. I mean the list of name Black writers is small I mean we had only Christopher Priest, Reginald Hudlin, Dwayne McDuffie for awhile and know they are more now like David Walker, Kevin Grevioux and writers like Ta-Nehisi Coates, Roxane Gay, and Yona Harvey. Who is the first Black writer to write an X-men issue? What is longest run by a black writer in the X-line?

It looks like a I am going to have to do some research
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-13-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You have brought and interesting point has black person ever written the main X-men book? I know Vita Alya and Hill of course have written books in the X-line. But has a black person ever gotten a extended run not just one shot or something. I think this might have been talk about before in thread but I am really curious to know the answer now. I mean the list of name Black writers is small I mean we had only Christopher Priest, Reginald Hudlin, Dwayne McDuffie for awhile and know they are more now like David Walker, Kevin Grevioux and writers like Ta-Nehisi Coates, Roxane Gay, and Yona Harvey. Who is the first Black writer to write an X-men issue? What is longest run by a writer in the X-line?

It looks like a going to have to do some research
    The pool of black writers isn't "small" though. Its the amount of those that get to play on the big stage that make it look small. Comics has been and is still very much a club. You don't put your application in and go through a process. People are cherry picked and placed on projects. Today's worse because you have to agree with everyone on everything or you get labeled.

I suppose we're just supposed to be like "thank you" but something like that is bound to breed a culture of exclusion. Its why the Dakota-verse came along once upon a time. Do we say "thank you, can I have some more" or just go about it on our own?

Making your own stuff is great, but when you get to play with your favorite characters and make them cannon, it's a different feeling. And I understand that there is only so much comic to go around, but it's not there hasn't been opportunities beyond a special here and there. Especially with the amount of Milligan's we've had to endure for long stretches.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 12-13-2019 at 06:08 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

I know we're talking about black male characters but the problem goes beyond that. Storm was the first prominent black X-Man. After Chris Claremont left it appeared that creators tried to copy that mold. Even the other black female X-Men in Cecelia Reyes and eventually Frenzy, both black Latinas and again from different countries. While Reyes is an American citizen, she's Puerto Rican. Frenzy is from South America.

Both characters had depth and I found them interesting but CeCe popped in and out of continuity despite having reason to be around being a doctor and surgeon. Frenzy was a straight up villain until she was MASTERFULLY developed into a hero by Mike Carey. She's got more going on with her than most 50 year X-Men.

Creators seem willing to dive into our women but if they aren't a child or from another country, our men aren't useful or interesting enough. For goodness sake, didn't someone put Blade in a sweater when he guest starred in a X-Men book once this decade?!
    Guild Member

BANNED

The problem is the metaphor. Straight, white males will come in with a great story idea that mirrors the oppression that happens in the real world but will focus that story on characters that represent themselves rather than the communities from whom they steal their ideas. They then pat themselves on the back for their cleverness without an iota of self-awareness. That’s the cycle.

The metaphor needs to be put to bed. If you want to tell stories about oppression, you need to use characters who reflect those oppressed communities. Cyclops, Wolverine, and Xavier should not be the center of the franchise, full stop. It just shouldn’t be the case.

The other problem is that the custodians of the franchise are always straight, white, cis, and male. That demographic should be the minority in this office, and that’s never been the case. If it were, the line would better reflect the communities whose stories sustain it.

Where are you getting that Frenzy has South American heritage?

Am I wrong... I remember reading that? Joanna Cargill... She's not?
    Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    The problem is the metaphor. Straight, white males will come in with a great story idea that mirrors the oppression that happens in the real world but will focus that story on characters that represent themselves rather than the communities from whom they steal their ideas. They then pat themselves on the back for their cleverness without an iota of self-awareness. That’s the cycle.

The metaphor needs to be put to bed. If you want to tell stories about oppression, you need to use characters who reflect those oppressed communities. Cyclops, Wolverine, and Xavier should not be the center of the franchise, full stop. It just shouldn’t be the case.

The other problem is that the custodians of the franchise are always straight, white, cis, and male. That demographic should be the minority in this office, and that’s never been the case. If it were, the line would better reflect the communities whose stories sustain it.
    I agree and disagree. We shouldn't start employing or not purely based on aspects of who they are and I also don't think just because your not "x" that your incapable of telling a story about "x" character. That boils down to how creative a person is and how much work they are willing to put into their craft (ie research, interviews etc).

Selection based on criteria will ultimately result in the same problem of exclusion. Just because someone is "x" doesn't mean they'll excel at telling a story about "x". That's writing ability and imagination. I say this knowing and understanding fully that this way of doing business hasn't worked out for us. However, that's not a societal issue, it's oversight.

The actions of editorial and those that give out the jobs not vetting or looking outside of their circles. Naturally, your peers will most likely share your views and most of the time culture, ethnicity etc. But editorial's job is to find the best fits, not based on personal bias and preference. However, that's rarely ever what happens.

For instance, I'd love to see black writer on the X-Men... I don't want to see a black writer on the X-Men writing a weirdly all black X-Men team... As funny as that could be. I don't like the connotation. Despite how many all white X-Men teams have existed. Let's be honest, X-Men take place in a country that's 70% white. Most of the characters SHOULD be white by way of reality. Its just is what it is. Its not the end of the world. Its just disappointing that for years that 30% wasn't more present.

My problem isn't in the amount of black characters, it's the quality, attention and their ultimate fates they're given once they're here.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 12-13-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    Guild Member

BANNED

I agree and disagree. We shouldn't start employing or not purely based on aspects of who they are and I also don't think just because your not "x" that your incapable of telling a story about "x" character. That boils down to how creative a person is and how much work they are willing to put into their craft (ie research, interviews etc).

Selection based on criteria will ultimately result in the same problem of exclusion. Just because someone is "x" doesn't mean they'll excel at telling a story about "x". That's writing ability and imagination. I say this knowing and understanding fully that this way of doing business hasn't worked out for us. However, that's not a societal issue, it's oversight.

The actions of editorial and those that give out the jobs not vetting or looking outside of their circles. Naturally, your peers will most likely share your views and most of the time culture, ethnicity etc. But editorial's job is to find the best fits, not based on personal bias and preference. However, that's rarely ever what happens.

For instance, I'd love to see black writer on the X-Men... I don't want to see a black writer on the X-Men writing a weirdly all black X-Men team... As funny as that could be. I don't like the connotation. Despite how many all white X-Men teams have existed. Let's be honest, X-Men take place in a country that's 75% white. Its not the end of the world. Its just disappointing.

My problem isn't in the amount of black characters, it's the quality, attention and their ultimate fates they're given once they're here.
    Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful response. To clarify, I’m not looking for quotas, but like with everything, the preference for straight, white, cis men only changes when people actively change it. While many creators, Claremont being a good example, actively try to tell stories centered on characters who aren’t like them, we all have implicit bias. It’s human nature. I think fighting that isn’t just an exercise in self-reflection, it means surrounding yourself with people and media with points of view that diverge from your own. The straight, white maleness of the franchise is a direct result of the straight, white maleness of editorial and creative. Those things have to be actively addressed.

Am I wrong... I remember reading that? Joanna Cargill... She's not?
    They’re fictional characters with several writers. Wikipedia may have missed something you read. I don’t see anywhere describing her as anything other than AA.

Afro-Latinx mutants include
    Sunspot, from Brazil
    Cecelia Reyes, from Puerto Rico
    Darwin, from Cuba

Any others?

On a side note. Just thought it be funny to talk about... This idea of an all-black team. It's funny because while we know they've had black X-Men, I don't think there has been enough active ones all at the same time to justify it! lol

In a school setting it be natural for the black characters to congregate like it is anywhere. Its cultural as any other group that does the same. Nothing wrong with that but I can't think of an instance where there have been more than two active and present black X-Men throughout the teams that call the mansion they're homebase.

It'd be cool to see, even for a one-shot... But it's impossible without a lot of reaching and inorganic plot devices.
    Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    They’re fictional characters with several writers. Wikipedia may have missed something you read. I don’t see anywhere describing her as anything other than AA.

Afro-Latinx mutants include
    Sunspot, from Brazil
    Cecelia Reyes, from Puerto Rico
    Darwin, from Cuba

Any others?
    Hmmm... I'll look around. Only a handful of books have her as a focus and I think I have all of them... I'll have to pull out X-Men Legacy. I'm not sure why this is my head. I'll report back when I get to my boxes.
    Guild Member