Page 45 of 145 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Synch is back, he just needs to be used..
    Shhh, don't tell anyone that Synch is back. That way I don't have to explain why he spent the last several months masquerading as the Blue Marvel, Magneto, Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, Sentry, Odin, and Franklin Richards, instead of chopping it up with his X mates. (Told ya being able to synch and keep all of those powers would come in handy!) Mum's the word...at least until the truth comes out in the next multiverse shattering event.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I'm just glad he's back so Hope can keep her ass on Krakoa making new mutants and he can get optioned for actual missions and adventures.

They really need to use Prodigy more, he was around too many important people not to be useful in some way.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Again. The country it takes place (lol Krakoa, right) is prominently white. Its like being offended that Agents of Atlas is all Asian. If we get an all black cast it would need it make sense other than just because. Otherwise it's as whack of a concept as BP and the Crew.

That is unless is intentionally done in story by one of the characters without some ridiculous grandstanding, virtue moment. If Bishop intentionally went around and built a team that happened to be majority minority, then I'm good. And they shouldn't be out there tackling some ridiculous black-centric issue with three paragraph long word bubbles with rasied fists shaded into the background of the cover, but saving the world just like any other super team is allowed to do.

Everyone's different but I'm not into that "they did, we do it should too"... Other than Cosby/Weinstein.

In the end, I feel where you're coming from. I'm not defending X-Force. Its awesome quality not withstanding, it is very white lol.
    The "wackness" you associate with the late, unlamented Black Panther: The Crew book, was down to Ta Ne Hisi Coates and as such, cannot be used as any form of a reliable barometer to determine how a similarly themed team of mutants would be written by a competent writer genuinely invested in crafting a story around African, African-American or Carribean mutants dealing with the socio-political realities of being of African descent and possessed of the X-gene.

As far as the "prominently white" aspect of your post goes, I fail to see why that would prevent a good writer from writing a team of black mutants and associated affiliates, working together to achieve a common goal independent of the status quo that currently exists within the collective X-verse family of books.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    They really need to use Prodigy more, he was around too many important people not to be useful in some way.
    He has to get his powers back first.. I need a quick storyline with him, Shola, Hub, Freakshow, etc getting there powers back.. Add Wind Dancer and a few of the other dead kids from new xmen.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    The "wackness" you associate with the late, unlamented Black Panther: The Crew book, was down to Ta Ne Hisi Coates and as such, cannot be used as any form of a reliable barometer to determine how a similarly themed team of mutants would be written by a competent writer genuinely invested in crafting a story around African, African-American or Carribean mutants dealing with the socio-political realities of being of African descent and possessed of the X-gene.
    Indeed, there's a lot of story potential to mine there. Mutants from all over the world, all different nationalities and cultures and classes and races and faiths, jammed together on an island with no real commonality other than an X-gene and a new shared language. There are going to be some who reject everything that came before, but most are going to have grown up a person, raised in the values and commonalities and shared experiences of being whatever race, gender, nationality, faith, etc. they spent their entire lives as before coming to Krakoa, and it might make sense for some to clique together with other mutants who have similar cultural backgrounds, much as immigrants in countries like the US can sometimes clique together into ethnic enclaves. (IMO, that might go double for Krakoa, which seems like an alien and creepy locale to someone who grew up in a house, with electricity, and refrigerators, and TVs and video games and automobiles and day jobs and slightly less drinking and orgies...)

Other mutants, from backgrounds less experienced in the whole 'minority' thing, might seek out mutants of color, to get useful advice from someone who have lived this sort of persecuted existence that comes with the X-gene, as the whiter straighter mutants might have spent the first dozen or so years of their life at the top of the ladder, and be less familiar with the weight on your back when you're stuck on the bottom. I'm reminded of how the lily-white Appalachian community has ties to the NAACP, not because they are black, but because they have a shared experience of being shut out or ignored by the rest of the country, and have been marginalized, and have gotten help from a 'black' organization in how to move forward from this situation. Mutants who come from more fortunate circumstances might have not the slightest inkling what to do or how to handle societal rejection, or marginalization, or oppression, and have some hard lessons to learn, now that it 'can happen to them.'

As far as the "prominently white" aspect of your post goes, I fail to see why that would prevent a good writer from writing a team of black mutants and associated affiliates, working together to achieve a common goal independent of the status quo that currently exists within the collective X-verse family of books.
    If an X-book can form with a cast that's entirely coincidentally white, then there shouldn't be any reason why a team couldn't be coincidentally black or asian or whatever. Ideally it would go as unremarked by the characters in the book as it was that the 05 were all white, or that the current X-Men book is fielding an all-white team (Cyclops, Jean, Rachel, Cable, Havok, Vulcan, Corsair, Wolverine), not because the writer wanted an 'all-white cast' so much as it's kind of a Summer's family gathering (plus Wolverine), and they *coincidentally* are all white.

Come up with an adequate reason why Storm, Bishop, Monet, Sunspot, Bedlam, Frenzy and Synch would have interests in a particular case, or just happen to be 'on deck' when the call goes out, and bang, all-black cast. (It doesn't hurt that I'd love to see some interaction between some of these characters. Sunspot getting a hard pass from Monet? Frenzy and Bishop out-hard-ass/bad-copping each other? Bedlam and Synch as 'the new guys?')

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

If an X-book can form with a cast that's entirely coincidentally white, then there shouldn't be any reason why a team couldn't be coincidentally black or asian or whatever. Ideally it would go as unremarked by the characters in the book as it was that the 05 were all white, or that the current X-Men book is fielding an all-white team (Cyclops, Jean, Rachel, Cable, Havok, Vulcan, Corsair, Wolverine), not because the writer wanted an 'all-white cast' so much as it's kind of a Summer's family gathering (plus Wolverine), and they *coincidentally* are all white.

Come up with an adequate reason why Storm, Bishop, Monet, Sunspot, Bedlam, Frenzy and Synch would have interests in a particular case, or just happen to be 'on deck' when the call goes out, and bang, all-black cast. (It doesn't hurt that I'd love to see some interaction between some of these characters. Sunspot getting a hard pass from Monet? Frenzy and Bishop out-hard-ass/bad-copping each other? Bedlam and Synch as 'the new guys?')
    That was my point earlier you can accidently with no malice intended put together team of all white heroes but they never accidently put together more than two minority heroes. And it is not like the black people being mention are "generic americans", Bishop is of Aboriginal Australian descent, M is French(?) Algerian, Storm is Kenyan, Sunspot Brazilian Afro Latino, Synch is African American, Blink is Afro Caribbean. So you are also getting something differently cultural as well. (And just for clarity I would consider Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Magneto, Sage, Magma as diverse as well it just that embracing that diversity first would leave comics looking like it has for years). People have to get over the it doesn't feel right thing because seeing a group of all white heroes shouldn't feel right and surprisingly it keeps happening even though statistically at least one racial minority would be normal.

And writers aren't putting together teams on statics, They are putting together teams based on who they find interesting and who Marvel editors and highers up think would sell books. Basically whenever you see a book without minorities it being said that no black or minority characters are INTERESTING or POPULAR enough for this book. And characters can't become popular or interesting without use so it is easy to understand this topic from that perspective.

Lasty the next time you say a black character isn't interesting remember that they made a white british woman an Asian badass Ninja.You can completely make over a character or in Betsy case change a character literally into a brand new character.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-14-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Spectacular Member

Racism is still very strong in the western world, especially in the USA, and the super hero market is still made mostly of white heterosexual males, both retailers and readers, that, as we saw in the recent past, feel threatened when there is a push for diversity. For most of readers the current Marvel, all about white character from the 90s and run by a editor in chief that impersonated an Asian writer, is totally okay, even great. A few years ago, just because a few characters were replaced (and the replacement were so badly conceived that many of them are going to feature in the next MCU wave...) these readers lived in constant existential turmoil, despite for the first time Marvel was creating and/or reinventing characters able to sell outside, and very well, outside the declining comic shops market. Today less comics are sold for a higher price.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Racism is still very strong in the western world, especially in the USA, and the super hero market is still made mostly of white heterosexual males, both retailers and readers, that, as we saw in the recent past, feel threatened when there is a push for diversity. For most of readers the current Marvel, all about white character from the 90s and run by a editor in chief that impersonated an Asian writer, is totally okay, even great. A few years ago, just because a few characters were replaced (and the replacement were so badly conceived that many of them are going to feature in the next MCU wave...) these readers lived in constant existential turmoil, despite for the first time Marvel was creating and/or reinventing characters able to sell outside, and very well, outside the declining comic shops market. Today less comics are sold for a higher price.
    The white heterosexual males that are the biggest fans are AGING. Movies are aimed at younger audiences, and you cannot keep the same actors forever (people die, get uninterested in roles, etc). So it was a lot EASIER for Disney MCU to be a lot more progressive (look at Black Panther or Captain Marvel).

It might take getting more Black or other people of color writers or editors in the X-Office to do a better job of representing.

At least Hickman resurrected Synch and included Bishop and Sunspot. They should use Triage or mention that if Elixir was done he could substitute for him in the 5, etc just like Synch could fill in for Hope in an emergency.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post

You and I tend to disagree on most things Coates related. I absolutely loved BP&C. I thoroughly agree and endorse the rest of your post tho.

I laugh at people bitter and afraid at the idea of a team of ALL DIVERSE BLACK MUTANTS from across the diaspora. It's almost like some believe their right to interracial relationships is under assault whenever the idea of all black mutants is brought up.

I guess our shared bias for an all black mutant tone is on a different wave. The idea just hits different, y'know? That's just me tho...

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Give me the Black X-cellence team or I walk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    This was one of the best introductions of a character ever. This was also when I was naive enough to think it would last.

What a glorious man! Why don't I know more about him?

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    At least Hickman resurrected Synch and included Bishop and Sunspot. They should use Triage or mention that if Elixir was done he could substitute for him in the 5, etc just like Synch could fill in for Hope in an emergency.
    The representation in Dox is no doubt better BUT it has to move pass small stuff and be more substantial parts. I am not ding Hickman too hard because the overall goal was to revitalize the franchise so playing to old favorites and popular characters is smart move. But Imagine if Hickman had made Captain Commander Storm. Imagine if Sunspot former Hellfire club member, former head of AIM, super wealthy person was on Quiet Council. Imagine If Bishop was head of the intelligence side of X-force. Imagine if Synch went to space with New Mutants. There was chances to use characters in meaningful roles that allow other writers to see the characters and want to use them as well.

I have read enough X-men comics to know that representation without active trying to push the characters forward and is meaningless. It is one of the reason I am reluctantly fine with "race bending" characters they say well just create a "Black Magneto" but I have been an comic fans nearly 20 years of my life Marvel has shown any inclination that they are going create antihero/villian with substance of Magneto and even if they do they won't use him over the classic. It almost if people don't realize that if comics was actually push characters forward we wouldn't be complaining. The "they should just push or create minority character" never comes. Michael B Jordan shouldn't be Superman, Magneto shouldn't be black but we aren't seeing them in a rush to make Icon or Blue Marvel, I don't think the next X-men movie is going to have King Bedlam or Moses Magnum as the villians.

The point is you can't make the first real step without the first real step. But I guess at least Apocalypse is being treated with some nuance nowadays so I guess that is something.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-15-2019 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    What a glorious man! Why don't I know more about him?
    Synch's heart is made of pure gold and if I don't get to see him and his OG!BFF Jubes reconnecting I'm gonna be pissed. Synch was the character who held the Generation X team together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Racism in africa/eastern countries is much stronger than in the west. Western is really safe for people.
    http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...ist-countries/