Page 48 of 145 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Laughable isn't it? In 2019 we have no writers of skill and/or agency to write and incorporate a powerful black male mutant? Yet people laud these writers as the cream of the crop, and this medium as progressive. The themes that are so fundamental to X-Men are euphemisms for race, but yet so blind to it now to the point we can't seem to get a single black male of any kind of prominence.
    Personally, I guess it would be laughable and dismally tragic and gawd-fekkin-awful all at the same time if I, a Black Caribbean man and Gay, was only buying and reading comics for black male/female prominence and representation.
    Thank the Goddess, my interest in comics extend far, far beyond needing representation of any kind.

Writers not using the characters you want to see, not writing the stories you want to read, choosing to forego "fundamental themes" does not make them "bad" writers, or less than progressive undeserving of any credit...it just makes them writers who don't "float your boat" so to speak.

And that's okies. I'm sure there are quite a number of writers out there who will check your ALL your boxes...if you search diligently enough.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 12-16-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Most of the boomer mutants weren't black and the zoomer mutants don't sell. Roberto gonna have to carry again.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Most of the boomer mutants weren't black and the zoomer mutants don't sell. Roberto gonna have to carry again.
    The Zebra Kids. The Avengers. The Shi'ar. The X-Men. Inaccurate coloring. Is there any cross our king has yet to bear?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The Zebra Kids. The Avengers. The Shi'ar. The X-Men. Inaccurate coloring. Is there any cross our king has yet to bear?
    Secret Invasion 2.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

I think it reveals quite a bit of irony on the parts of the gay black men across the spectrum who claim to look past base desires of representation when consuming homoeroticism in the form of X-Men comics. If you don't go looking for black representation whether it be male or female, that's fine and good. Stop deluding yourself to believe you aren't enticed by the messages of forbidden love and same sex relationships.

Some black people go looking for the representation that speaks to them. There's absolutely no point in playing as if we all don't in our own ways.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I think it reveals quite a bit of irony on the parts of the gay black men across the spectrum who claim to look past base desires of representation when consuming homoeroticism in the form of X-Men comics. If you don't go looking for black representation whether it be male or female, that's fine and good. Stop deluding yourself to believe you aren't enticed by the messages of forbidden love and same sex relationships.

Some black people go looking for the representation that speaks to them. There's absolutely no point in playing as if we all don't in our own ways.
    Yo, that was a smooth mic dropping post, lol! ...oh so very true too.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    ...is that a purifier as your avatar? lol
    Shhhh... lol!

I don't always seek to see myself, but X-men is a too big franchise to be majoritaly white

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Laughable isn't it? In 2019 we have no writers of skill and/or agency to write and incorporate a powerful black male mutant? Yet people laud these writers as the cream of the crop, and this medium as progressive. The themes that are so fundamental to X-Men are euphemisms for race, but yet so blind to it now to the point we can't seem to get a single black male of any kind of prominence.
    It's quite frustrating
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Personally, I guess it would be laughable and dismally tragic and gawd-fekkin-awful all at the same time if I, a Black Caribbean man and Gay, was only buying and reading comics for black male/female prominence and representation.
    Thank the Goddess, my interest in comics extend far, far beyond needing representation of any kind.

Writers not using the characters you want to see, not writing the stories you want to read, choosing to forego "fundamental themes" does not make them "bad" writers, or less than progressive undeserving of any credit...it just makes them writers who don't "float your boat" so to speak.

And that's okies. I'm sure there are quite a number of writers out there who will check your ALL your boxes...if you search diligently enough.
    lol ANNNNND? Youre in the triple minority if you claim you're aren't looking for a little of yourself represented in the media you consume. As for making the writers less progressive ... I mean how can you say it doesn't? when every team consisting of soley straight white dudes is universally seen as the writer throwing down a social gauntlet Or when the inclusion of a woman....or queer gets ton of press?

Yas Yas Lawd
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I don't always seek to see myself, but X-men is a too big franchise to be majoritaly white
    Truth Bomb!!!
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    LOLOLOLOLomgoddesslolololololol...now this...this right here is the absolute definition of "Laughable".
    Gay Black Men across the spectrum are deluding themselves? lololollollollolol

Sincerely, thanks for the laughter.
    The level of irony is so thick that I'll have a laugh with you, my friend. The irony of that delusion being this very thread. If gay black men were "only buying comics for black male/female prominence and representation" there wouldn't be ANY gay black men sounding off in THIS VERY THREAD about their faves whom they somehow managed to find some form of representation to cling to.

We're still buying comics. We still enjoy the experience. Something about the X-men resonates even if most don't look like us. Without that connection the representation changes form. Gay black men still love the X-men because it's easy to connect with these characters. This thread is proof. It's also proof most acknowledge we could definitely use more. Most of my fellow black gays are admittedly fans of characters entangled in forbidden love and same sex tropes. It wasn't shade, its true.

We obviously see what we want still we're fans of Jean, Emma, Cyclops, Gambit, Magneto, Iceman, Wolverine and Psylocke. We're all here for the representation, my friend, regardless of what we tell ourselves at night.

The level of irony is so thick that I'll have a laugh with you, my friend. The irony of that delusion being this very thread. If gay black men were "only buying comics for black male/female prominence and representation" there wouldn't be ANY gay black men sounding off in THIS VERY THREAD about their faves whom they somehow managed to find some form of representation to cling to.

We're still buying comics. We still enjoy the experience. Something about the X-men resonates even if most don't look like us. Without that connection the representation changes form. Gay black men still love the X-men because it's easy to connect with these characters. This thread is proof. It's also proof most acknowledge we could definitely use more. Most of my fellow black gays are admittedly fans of characters entangled in forbidden love and same sex tropes. It wasn't shade, its true.

We obviously see what we want still we're fans of Jean, Emma, Cyclops, Gambit, Magneto, Iceman, Wolverine and Psylocke. We're all here for the representation, my friend, regardless of what we tell ourselves at night.
    I am going to piggyback on your post ,I have been buying comics and watching movies for years without being represented properly, We don't need to be represented properly to enjoy comics but when you are represented properly in comics or media it just hits differently. The first time you watch Black Panther it felt different, The first time you watch Into the Spiderverse it felt different. And here is the thing about it Black Panther and Into the Spiderverse they were great successes and revealed that hey White people and other groups can related to heroes and stuff that doesn't look them.Just like we have been doing our entire time reading comics and since that is the case there is no excuse for it not to be better.

I hate it when a minority say " I don't need representation in this area" knowing that area could be better. As if people are talking about all of sudden getting rid of everything and making that form of media nothing but minorities characters and throwing away all the old characters. No first people are asking quality in representation they are tons of black, asian, and latino characters today but we would trade all of those characters for one character the quality and profile of Batman or Spiderman. Secondly people are asking for a variety minority characters with in the norms and percentage of society. Asians make nearly 60% of world population but between the Justice League, Avengers, X-men and marvel/dc comics in general there is one A list Asian male character. Anyways how does having proper representation hurt? You get representation elsewhere fine but how does having better representation in comics hurt things ?

Quite frankly comic is doing a great job at creating side characters and secondary minorities characters , I would go as far saying representation near perfect in that area. So these topics are really in reality about A-list and impact characters because that is where comics is failing. Where is the Storms, Black Panthers, Luke Cages, Blades, John Stewarts, Spawn,etc? This isn't some herculean task being asked from Marvel or DC this just Marvel instead making "Star" why don't try a "Wave" book. They are million white female heroes why don't you try to make the Filipino woman book work instead. We are asking to keep making the Miles,Kamelas, Shuris, Ironhearts,Moongirls,Naomis and don't give up on the Sideways and Statics so quick. And yes throw minority not named Storm or Bishop into major role in X-men stuff. It is not earth shattering stuff that being asked for just more effort.

And to bring back to the X-men would it have been hard to put Trinary or Prodigy instead of Sage on X-force? Would have been hard to use Mondo instead of Black Tom on X-force? Just a little more effort

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This isn't some herculean task being asked from Marvel or DC this just Marvel instead making "Star" why don't try a "Wave" book. They are million white female heroes why don't you try to make the Filipino woman book work instead.
    Salamat for supporting the potential of a "Wave" title for the most famous comic-book Cebuano right here and now, Pearl Pangan. Her piggybacking on Aero's title was pretty cool, and her figuring into "Atlantis Attacks" (Namor's new obsession after Sue and Emma?) is even better. But a solo title for Wave is something else.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Mighty Member

https://media.giphy.com/media/SJW62u...08cj/giphy.gif

We’re still gonna need some black trans men and women representation that’s positive and affirming of their identity.

Astonishing Member

This is a really good post, please keep telling the truth