Page 55 of 145 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    yeah I knew that, Your preaching to choir

I am currently reading Omni from Humanoids Publishing which about a female doctor who is basically the same thing as prodigy. It is amazing that once these concepts aren't in the hands of big publishers how much better the characters become weird ain't it.

And while I am here and it is relevant you don't have to depend on just Marvel for strong minority characters they are plenty of good independent books that are doing good job

Excellence by Khari Randolph and Brandon Thomas is good.
    Black by Kwanza Osajyefo Jamal Igle is good

I already mention Prodigy(Image), Omni(H1) and also like Quincredible from Lionforge and Livewire from Valiant(written by Vita Ayla). It would be nice that Marvel and X-men do better but they are some pretty good stuff in the genre that has good representation if you can pull yourself away from the big two for second.
    This is exactly why I go outside of the big 2 for poc characters, you don’t have to wait 50 years for them to do anything.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Yes, you want that a Black character to have his/her own serie.
    Yes, I would like that, but that wasn't my most recent point.

When I was a child, there were charismatic Black heroes: Falcon, Black Panther… They needn't to have "powerful powers"… Even if I wasn't Black, I admired them like any other hero, they represented noble values and I felt represented by them.
    Irrelevant personal anecdote.

Now, it's more a matter of 'niche'… people want "their heroes" like Krakoa want "only mutants".
    Generalized misunderstanding.

Having said that, I understand the point of vue: it's unfair there are so few Black characters and that they matter so little.
    Fairness is important, especially for those who have so little in the cultural space. Given the anecdote and generalization provided, I don't think you understand the conversation being had, much less my point about tropes and the cultural space.

AGAIN

Given the relative scarcity of adult black mutant males, the few highly prominent ones have reactive powers. This is a narrative pattern which suggests duplicitous intent by Marvel X-Book creative. I would assume it is an unconscious intent, but the result remains --and the result must be dealt with carefully, consciously, and fairly.

Bishop
    It could be explained away that his power is an expanded form of Cyclops' solar absorption to optic force... opening his spectrum of power to any and all energy. Instead of being incredibly versatile and powerful, they chose to present him as a lethal Judge Dredd type in a time when Judge Dredd types were a dime a dozen. The complications of his villain turn in 2000s is another thread entirely.

Synch
    While similar in some ways to Rogue, Everett's power duplication had an element of instinctive mastery. It made sense to me that he was the Gen X kid chosen to be Jean Grey'd, he was close to everyone who needed intimacy, and had no potential growth opportunities aside from immediate graduation to mutant team. And we've discussed the limited viability of graduates.

Prodigy
    Possibly the most interesting post-Morrison student, Prodigy's intelligence mimicry needed to be capped lest his brain deteriorate. Rather than develop a way for him to forget unnecessary information, they decided to kill his mutation. "He's still useful!" but the point is they decided to remove his unique talent.

Darwin
    For a man who's supposed to adapt to any situation, they killed him for dramatic effect in First Class, and they haven't found a way for him to adapt to Dawn of X's limited rosters. At least Peter David had enough smarts to adapt him as a death god when X-Factor went against Hela. Maybe he can rule Limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Fairness is important, especially for those who have so little in the cultural space. Given the anecdote and generalization provided, I don't think you understand the conversation being had, much less my point about tropes and the cultural space.
    Is it important now? The only thing that matter now for mutants is if you have the X-gene or not. They have rejected their humanity. The fate of human minorities isn't relevant for them anymore: they consider the whole humanity as "the other". They don't care anymore for the humans, Black or White…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

We're interested in two different conversations.

Is it important now? The only thing that matter now for mutants is if you have the X-gene or not. They have rejected their humanity. The fate of human minorities isn't relevant for them anymore: they consider the whole humanity as "the other". They don't care anymore for the humans, Black or White…

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    We're interested in two different conversations.
    I do think that Hickman and co aren't interested at all by a fair representation of human minorities. It will be for another run, maybe…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I do think that Hickman and co aren't interested at all by a fair representation of human minorities. It will be for another run, maybe…
    Not true in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

Very kind of them…

Tfw based Chucky is the sugar daddy of both man and mutantkind.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    This is why Shola was such a rarity. He came in hot with destructive Telekinetic powers ( pretty original take for this over used power set) with low level telepathic powers not needing anyone but himself to get the job done!!! When he was introduced he had some buzz around him.
    He was great. I liked his costume.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

You know that is just business now? if all these humans die working in a mutant related company maybe they could have problems finding more employees. And they would need more incentives to their employees or even give them the option of being ressuected if they are killed by an anti mutant group.
    Last edited by hulkling; 12-21-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    You know that is just business now? if all these humans die working in a mutant related company maybe they could have problems finding more employees. And they would need more incentives to their employees or even give them the option of being ressuected if they are killed by an anti mutant group.
    The Resurrection Protocols only work with mutants. Allies shouldn’t need “incentives” to support a people that are getting killed for just existing. If humans are killing other humans just for being supporters of mutants, the onus falls on the humans who..you know...murdered them.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Acceptable losses.

Allies = meat shields.

Let them soak up the bullets first before us. Then we can swear to avenge them, and that's the end of our obligations. Payback is for our own sake, not theirs.
    Last edited by Londo Bellian; 12-21-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Acceptable losses.

Allies = meat shields.

Let them soak up the bullets first before us. Then we can swear to avenge them, and that's the end of our obligations. Payback is for our own sake, not theirs.
    Wrong superhero team. X-Men don't give A Fvck
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Acceptable losses.

Allies = meat shields.

They were literally rushing to save them. What are you even talking about anymore?