Page 78 of 145 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2172

I would buy a Bishop solo over the current Kid Cable book. In a heartbeat.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Uh Yeah thats not true.
    It is. Kids don't care about what ought to be. Kids don't care about the word "can't" they don't get mad at race because they don't even care if a character is human. They want someone to identify with and race does not matter to kids. The only people race matters to are older people. The kids you see saying race of s character is important were taught that by parents or older folks. It was put kids complaining when Scarlett Johannson was cast in an anime movie, it wasn't kids who were mad about Ruby Rose as Batwoman not being "lesbian enough" and it wasn't kids who were mad about Yennifer in the Witcher not being true representation of polish Lore. Kids...do...not..care (disclaimer: unless they are around older people who push those ideas into their head from an early age that racial looks matters. And pushing those racist beliefs on kids can be problematic when they grow up)

But in this instance the psuedo-science aint based on anything but prejudiced old fashioned thinking
    Actually it had to do with market research. Just like market research shows whites women and black men as having more disposable income and more likely to buy products so now you see most movies and commercials featuring those demographics. Often in the same movie or commercial. Hollywood/comics/music etc does not have morals, they have market research. Even though most generous seeming gesture is focus tested to make sure the audience will like it.

Dang pretty much killed it...
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Just an FYI

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/13...favorite-reads

If kids don't care-why wouldn't it hurt to toss out a book with a POC as the lead?

Why are there publishers going out of their way to HIDE the race of a lead in a book?

http://www.yalsa.ala.org/thehub/2012...a-book-covers/

Rivers of London a comic book series at Titan Comics is also a novel. The US version oringally HID the fact the lead of the book was a BLACK MAN.

If race was not an issue why does so may studios PANDER to China and remove blacks from movie posters?

If race was not an issue where did a certain fandom come from? Funny every single book and creator they take issue with is a POC or LBGTQ.

If it's about kids-tossing out books that feature leads who are not straight white males should not be an issue. Yet it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    It is. Kids don't care about what ought to be. Kids don't care about the word "can't" they don't get mad at race because they don't even care if a character is human. They want someone to identify with and race does not matter to kids. The only people race matters to are older people. The kids you see saying race of s character is important were taught that by parents or older folks. It was put kids complaining when Scarlett Johannson was cast in an anime movie, it wasn't kids who were mad about Ruby Rose as Batwoman not being "lesbian enough" and it wasn't kids who were mad about Yennifer in the Witcher not being true representation of polish Lore. Kids...do...not..care (disclaimer: unless they are around older people who push those ideas into their head from an early age that racial looks matters. And pushing those racist beliefs on kids can be problematic when they grow up)

Actually it had to do with market research. Just like market research shows whites women and black men as having more disposable income and more likely to buy products so now you see most movies and commercials featuring those demographics. Often in the same movie or commercial. Hollywood/comics/music etc does not have morals, they have market research. Even though most generous seeming gesture is focus tested to make sure the audience will like it.
    uhhhh Duude see above...lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Just an FYI

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/13...favorite-reads

If kids don't care-why wouldn't it hurt to toss out a book with a POC as the lead?

Why are there publishers going out of their way to HIDE the race of a lead in a book?

http://www.yalsa.ala.org/thehub/2012...a-book-covers/
    I addressed that but you have the when you look at the genre. YA i.e. Young adult. Those are different than for kids. Thats literally confirming what I said. Kids don't care until they reach a certain age when their parents and society teach them race matter

Rivers of London a comic book series at Titan Comics is also a novel. The US version oringally HID the fact the lead of the book was a BLACK MAN.

If race was not an issue why does so may studios PANDER to China and remove blacks from movie posters?

If race was not an issue where did a certain fandom come from? Funny every single book and creator they take issue with is a POC or LBGTQ.

If it's about kids-tossing out books that feature leads who are not straight white males should not be an issue. Yet it is.
    Yeah I don't deny companies hide races but that's for adults and young adults. And it's completely based on market research not morality. Like people are shocked to learn Sony had to fight for Tom Holland because Disney refused to hire him for being too white. They wanted a more racially ambiguous actor. I forget the name of the actor they wanted but they refused Tom holland for so long but Sony would not give up on him. And look how that turned out. The fact is no one cares about race of a character until told to care. That's black white Hispanics or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I addressed that but you have the when you look at the genre. YA i.e. Young adult. Those are different than for kids. Thats literally confirming what I said. Kids don't care until they reach a certain age when their parents and society teach them race matter

Yeah I don't deny companies hide races but that's for adults and young adults. And it's completely based on market research not morality. Like people are shocked to learn Sony had to fight for Tom Holland because Disney refused to hire him for being too white. They wanted a more racially ambiguous actor. I forget the name of the actor they wanted but they refused Tom holland for so long but Sony would not give up on him. And look how that turned out. The fact is no one cares about race of a character until told to care. That's black white Hispanics or whatever
    Oh wow, I had no idea that Tom Holland was not Disney's choice and only cast because Sony wanted him.

Extraordinary Member

I mean haven’t all black X-men that came after Bishop aren’t really X-Men.

They’re X-Men farm league like the students: X-Men Academy: Prodigy, Gentle; Generation X: Synch.

The closest we got was the retcon in Darwin, who went to X-men farm team soon after, X-Factor.

Same thing with Bedlam, X-Force.

Funny enough, Maggot was close. But they downplayed all members from the era he joined: Dr Reyes, Marrow, Joseph.

Other Men of Color, haven’t faired any better. When’s the last time someone used Neal? Sunfire was there in Giant Sized, and he’s the classic X-Men member used the least.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 06-14-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I mean haven’t all black X-men that came after Bishop aren’t really X-Men.

They’re X-Men farm league like the students: X-Men Academy: Prodigy, Gentle; Generation X: Synch.

The closest we got was the retcon in Darwin, who went to X-men farm team soon after, X-Factor.

Same thing with Bedlam, X-Force.

Funny enough, Maggot was close. But they downplayed all members from the era he joined: Dr Reyes, Marrow, Joseph.

Other Men of Color, haven’t failed any better. When’s the last time someone used Neal? Sunfire was there in Giant Sized, and he’s the classic X-Men member used the least.
    that's a major problem. in the 1980s and 90s, the at least nominally-liberal writing and editorial staff at X-Men could still have their problematic components with reaching outside the box creatively and deliberately creating a black man for the team. In certain folks rationale, it would be "too on the nose" with the mutant prejudice metaphor... so easier to have the pink, green, light-blue characters, in comparison.

Extraordinary Member

I mean, my user name is named after Willie Evans the powerful mutant reality warper kid that the Fantastic Four found. And were going to send to the X-Men.

John Byrne was going to develop a New Mutants spin-off of him, Kitty, and Caliban before there was even a New Mutants comic.

So why didn’t they use him. This black kid has powers rivaling Legion, Jamie Braddock, Nate Grey, Proteus, etc.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 06-15-2020 at 03:48 AM.

I mean, my user name is named after Willie Evans the powerful mutant reality warper kid that the Fantastic Four found. And we’re going to send to the X-Men.

John Byrne was going to develop a New Mutants spin-off of him, Kitty, and Caliban before there was even a New Mutants comic.

So why didn’t they use him. This black kid has powers rivaling Legion, Jamie Braddock, Nate Grey, Proteus, etc.
    Let's hope he gets resurrected on Krakoa... minus the homicidal WB Frog.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

So why didn’t they use him. This black kid has powers rivaling
    Uhm.

Legion,
    villain
    Jamie Braddock,
    villain
    Nate Grey,
    villain
    Proteus, etc.
    villain

The longest-standing heroic "reality warper" is now mythologized as the worst villain ever: Scarlet Witch.

I'm ALL FOR younger mutants X-Men with infinite potential, but he'd probably have to consent to some bumper lanes installed in his brain.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Uhm.

villain
    villain
    villain
    villain

The longest-standing heroic "reality warper" is now mythologized as the worst villain ever: Scarlet Witch.

I'm ALL FOR younger mutants X-Men with infinite potential, but he'd probably have to consent to some bumper lanes installed in his brain.
    I think the only consistently heroic reality warper mutant I remember, other than Franklin Richards, was that girl from the X-Men 2099 spin-off I forget the name of. Willow? December? She had a meter wide 'zone of control' or something, in which she could totally alter reality, but it was just a yard away from her fingertips, so super-limited range. That was a neat way to vaguely try to balance it out, I guess.

Uhm.

villain
    villain
    villain
    villain

I wouldnt call Legion a villian. As for Nate...thats not fair. He only was used as a villian in his last year. That shouldnt negate the 25 years leading up to it when he wasnt one

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He only was used as a villian in his last year.
    True, but he also wasn't a ridiculously overpowered reality warper until his last year.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Nate was used as a villain badly too. Just like Bishop (and Emma).

True, but he also wasn't a ridiculously overpowered reality warper until his last year.
    That was explained (badly) in the story tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I would buy a Bishop solo over the current Kid Cable book. In a heartbeat.
    Same here 9 10
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!