Page 80 of 145 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2172

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The X-side of things is so, so much more diverse, *in general,* but outside of the X-offices, you've got Black Panther, Luke Cage and Blade, and some less-popular black male characters like Night Thrasher and whatnot. T'Challa and Blade have both had movies (both solo and guest appearances in Civil War and some Avengers movies, for BP, and three movies for Blade), and Luke Cage a Netflix solo series *and* a team-up series in the Defenders.

Inside the X? Bishop is the 'big name', with Sunspot, Gentle, Prodigy, Maggott, Darwin, etc. getting less and less known or used as they go.

Bishop shot his big gun, like, once, in an X-movie, during a five minute battle sequence in another timeline. I don't remember if he had a speaking line, and if he did, it was (paraphased) 'O help, Storm, my gun is effing useless without someone else to power me up and I don't even know why you guys put up with me.'

Darwin at least got a little play, and then promptly died five minutes after telling us that his mutant power was *not to die 'cause he adapts to stuff.* Sigh. Thirty minutes later, he was in a body bag, thinking to himself, 'Seriously? Was nobody even listening? Screw them, I'm outta this movie...'
    I forgot about Sunspot, he's a tricky one for me because he's usually portrayed more on the "latino" side of afro-latino (aka pretty much looks like a brown-colored white character a lot of times) that i keep forgetting he's supposed to be black. I like Sunspot a lot tho, I would like to see more with him.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I forgot about Sunspot, he's a tricky one for me because he's usually portrayed more on the "latino" side of afro-latino (aka pretty much looks like a brown-colored white character a lot of times) that i keep forgetting he's supposed to be black. I like Sunspot a lot tho, I would like to see more with him.
    Just for reference, Sunspot's been suffering a chronic case of Whitewashing for a good while now. In his first appearances, a reader would never have to second-guess his 'Afro' part of his Afro-Brazillian/Afro-Latino. (I imagine none of this is news to you, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Just for reference, Sunspot's been suffering a chronic case of Whitewashing for a good while now. In his first appearances, a reader would never have to second-guess his 'Afro' part of his Afro-Brazillian/Afro-Latino. (I imagine none of this is news to you, though.)
    yeah that was sorta what I was alluding to, Sunspot is one of the most notably egregious instances of whitewashing at Marvel. It's funny because he's not the only afro-latino character at marvel and those characters aren't as heavily white out, but I feel most of them are relatively new and the idea of afro-Latinos in the public consciousness is more prevalent. So perhaps it's because of how old the character is that we have this problem, too many whitewashing errors early on and not enough cultural sensitivity to be mindful of him.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I was very disappointed with the actor choice to play Sunspot in the NM movie...considering they are referencing Claremont's early New Mutants.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

We all know the woman that does casting for the MCU is Sarah Finn. We can hate the choice but let’s direct the hate correctly. Who chose to cast Henry Zaga as Roberto Da Costa?

Google says Ronna Kress. But the Wikipedia for the film suggests casting was inspired by DOFP, which first whitewashed Sunspot...

Andrea Kenyon, Roger Mussenden, Randi Wells, who cast Sunspot with a Mexican actor, Adan Canto.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 06-17-2020 at 05:56 AM.

Correct me if I'm wrong...the NM movie casting was done based off of a (bad) recent film? And not the source material from which the story is referencing?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong...the NM movie casting was done based off of a (bad) recent film? And not the source material from which the story is referencing?
    That’s what I’m parsing from the loose details I’m reading from wiki and THR. I don’t 100% believe it, as there are always additional unknown or unpublished details. It stands to reason FOX would follow their own brand interpretation with casting than refer to source material. It seems an easy boardroom compromise.

“Who’s this black kid?”

“Oh he’s the Mexican from DOFP.”

“Let’s keep him Mexican. That’s what our audience remembers.”

I think the main problem is that very few characters after Bishop have been popular, period. I can count X-23 and Deadpool but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I think the main problem is that very few characters after Bishop have been popular, period. I can count X-23 and Deadpool but that's it.
    Armor is liked by someone. I don’t see any other reason for her to get so much use. Same with Quentin Quire.

I don't want to hijack the thread because it's an important topic, but when people was talking about Sunspot and the steady whitewashing of his look, I couldn't help think about how many black-Latinx heroes Marvel has. There's:

1.) The White Tiger family members:
    • Hector Ayala

• Angela del Toro

• Ava Ayala

2.) Spider-man (Miles Morales)
    3.) Cecilia Reyes
    4.) Power Man (Victor Alvarez)
    5.) Darwin (Armando Munoz)
    6.) Feral (Maria Callasantos) maybe? I can't remember ever seeing her depowered.
    7.) America Chavez
    8.) Junk (Daniel Silva)
    9.) Slingshot (Yo-Yo Rodriguez) she is bi-racial like Sunspot and she was rather dark skinned not to have black ancestry
    10) Tag (Brian Cruz)
    11) Angel Salvadore. Her background hasn't been flashed out but her last name give me Latina.

It's something that most of the characters are Puerto Rican while Sunspot is the only Brazilian on the list. And the new(ish) Power Man is the only Dominican.
    As for skin color, Marvel Comics would never lighten Miles or Victor like they have done Bobby. Cecilia most likely not be whitewashed despite Alice Braga miscasting. Rosario Dawson was close but still too light for Ce-Ce in my opinion. Now for America, I could see them casting a lighter skin actress to play her just like AoS did to Yo-Yo.
    Last edited by Alphaxman; 06-17-2020 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That’s what I’m parsing from the loose details I’m reading from wiki and THR. I don’t 100% believe it, as there are always additional unknown or unpublished details. It stands to reason FOX would follow their own brand interpretation with casting than refer to source material. It seems an easy boardroom compromise.

“Who’s this black kid?”

SMFH
    This explains why. The people at Fox are fekkin idiots and why they did absolute crap with their superhero movies...shit for brains, every single one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread
    I think you’re fair. While there are Latinos of every color, I think character creators double down on representation, and mix black with brown to cover as many bases as possible. To a certain extent, I applaud the idea of overlapping rep, but it’s a bit silly when you have generic whites getting the same screen time as multidimensional PoC.

Back to X-Men. Darwin. The only other X-Man introduced outside of a “farm team”, is black and brown... but the design is alien and white. W... T... F... clearly due for a new look, so let’s get on that.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

“Who’s this black kid?”

so why they choose a brazilian actor.

Also no one remembers him from DoFP

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread because it's an important topic, but when people was talking about Sunspot and the steady whitewashing of his look, I couldn't help think about how many black-Latinx heroes Marvel has. There's:

1.) The White Tiger family members:
    • Hector Ayala

• Angela del Toro

• Ava Ayala

2.) Spider-man (Miles Morales)
    3.) Cecilia Reyes
    4.) Power Man (Victor Alvarez)
    5.) Darwin (Armando Munoz)
    6.) Feral (Maria Callasantos) maybe? I can't remember ever seeing her depowered.
    7.) America Chavez
    8.) Junk (Daniel Silva)
    9.) Slingshot (Yo-Yo Rodriguez) she is bi-racial like Sunspot and she was rather dark skinned not to have black ancestry
    10) Tag (Brian Cruz)
    11) Angel Salvadore. Her background hasn't been flashed out but her last name give me Latina.

It's something that most of the characters are Puerto Rican while Sunspot is the only Brazilian on the list. And the new(ish) Power Man is the only Dominican.
    As for skin color, Marvel Comics would never lighten Miles or Victor like they have done Bobby. Cecilia most likely not be whitewashed despite Alice Braga miscasting. Rosario Dawson was close but still too light for Ce-Ce in my opinion. Now for America, I could see them casting a lighter skin actress to play her just like AoS did to Yo-Yo.
    Feral and her siblings were shown. They are latino but they are not Afro Latino. They were shown in an issue of xforce that talked about her origin.

Does apocalypse count as an X-Man now?