Page 98 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2172

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Generation X issue 39. The final 3 panels saw SYNCH get a beatdown from racists. One of them even called him a BOY. They beat him into a coma.

Mind you this is AFTER the rest went by those two earlier.

Writer was Larry Hama and artist Terry Dobson.

Sunspot was attacked for bring bi-racial and DARK skin.

That fight does not happen if he looked WHITE.

How many dead white mutatnts have we seen versus those of color? THose white oens like Jean seem to come back way more then the minority ones.

In fact where is Synch????? Next to the kid from Dakota named Virgl O Hawkins and the kid who would be Cap America-Eli Bradley-Synch's name comes up more in black characters missed by fans.

Why is this fan favorite MIA?
    The exact reason may not be as important as the bottom line impact. Just like Black Panther has been written out of the current big event, I think it more than coincidence that black male hero ...taken out for the important part, and we have Synch and Darwin (another powerful black male hero) written out while major events are happening. I don't care about some flimsy explanation cause at the end of the this medium continues to mute or erase whatever is not white adjacent. All this speaks to art imitating life in a crazy way. We can't expect American culture to smoothly and openly accept and appreciate blackness in all shades and situations, we shouldn't be surprised at black male characters in fiction being watered-down, and/or pushed away.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Why are you using a slur in your example? That seems unnecessary.

Ideally I would've wanted a Cheyenne actress for Moonstar yes. What you are describing is ethnicity vs colorism. No, not all tribes are the same and neither is racial ancestry.

The black community in the Americas themselves are made up of various African tribes that have different genetic ancestry and cultures, that sometimes can vary wildly from group to group. The same applies to Native Americans. This is why race is in part considered a social structure due to how society or groups in power have classified people based on their skin tones less than true ancestry.

So yes, considering the power dynamics involved I would've been fine any actress that was plainly "Native American" even if she was not specifically Cheyenne. Just like I would've been fine any with black actor for Sunspot or Cecelia Reyes despite not knowing exactly what part of Africa his ancestry might have come from. Minority groups from the Americas have, at times, formed a monolithic identity group as a combination of protection and shared experiences enough for me not to be that bothered when casting choices are not completely 100% accurate; some not even completely aware of their own ethnic history due to years of oppression. However Hollywood in general could strive to be more ethnically accurate as well, as they have shown the ability to be more culturally aware... but only when money is involved such as Fox trying to get Chinese audiences money with Fan Binging.

Except mestizoes or "halfbreeds" are the dominant racial and ethnic group in South and Central American countries. Facing racial discrimination for being a "half-breed" for native ancestry makes no sense and again, Roberto is clearly Afro-Latinx in his history. It's clear CC was portraying racism toward dark-skinned (afro-latinx) latinx people in Brazil.

----------

Edit you clearly had this conversation with another poster several days ago, I don't know why you are saying Sunspot looks native when the artist and script have him portrayed --- and stated ON-PANEL --- that he is black.

Can you please stop being disingenuous here?
    People with mixed ancestry (native plus white) are a majority in most southamerican countries, but that does not mean they do not face discrimination. Because in most of those countries the dominant minority is white hispanic, and they can be as racist as any anglo. And native Americans keep getting murdered and expelled from their lands in countries like Brazil. You are absolutely correct that Sunspot is meant to be black and that black people tend to face worse discrimination than other groups in the latin world... But maybe you should inform yourself a little better about the challenges native and mixed peoples face in your own continent. Otherwise you risk making enemies of your allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    People with mixed ancestry (native plus white) are a majority in most southamerican countries, but that does not mean they do not face discrimination. Because in most of those countries the dominant minority is white hispanic, and they can be as racist as any anglo. And native Americans keep getting murdered and expelled from their lands in countries like Brazil. You are absolutely correct that Sunspot is meant to be black and that black people tend to face worse discrimination than other groups in the latin world... But maybe you should inform yourself a little better about the challenges native and mixed peoples face in your own continent. Otherwise you risk making enemies of your allies.
    The dominant majority is not white hispanic. It is Mestizo, they are the most populous racial demographic in Central and South America. Unless you are talking power dynamics? Because yes there a lot of white Hispanics who have inordinate amount of power, education and wealth in those countries despite technically being a minority. And I am Mestizo and who has relatives in CA/SA, so I find your last comment funny if not condescending.

I recognize your username and if I recall correctly, you are of some hispanic origin, I don't remember if you come from SA or are European so maybe you have more first-hand experience then I do but please do not assume people are uneducated on a subject because they have a different opinion than you.

Though I will say I probably should've made it clearer that I was talking about native ancestry rather then the native tribes who live in those countries. I am aware they do face prejudice and are being horribly discriminated against, but since they typically operate on their own reservations I wasn't including them in the almost class-based racial discrimination the happens in everyday Brazilians society.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 08-28-2020 at 09:35 AM.

The dominant majority is not white hispanic. It is Mestizo, they are the most populous racial demographic in Central and South America. Unless you are talking power dynamics? Because yes there a lot of white Hispanics who have inordinate amount of power, education and wealth in those countries despite technically being a minority. And I am Mestizo and who has relatives in CA/SA, so I find your last comment funny if not condescending.

I recognize your username and if I recall correctly, you are of some hispanic origin, I don't remember if you come from SA or are European so maybe you have more first-hand experience then I do but please do not assume people are uneducated on a subject because they have a different opinion than you.

Though I will say I probably should've made it clearer that I was talking about native ancestry rather then the native tribes who live in those countries. I am aware they do face prejudice and are being horribly discriminated against, but since they typically operate on their own reservations I wasn't including them in the almost class-based racial discrimination the happens in everyday Brazilians society.
    I was indeed talking about power dynamics, not number. Across southamerica the money, power and lands tend to be in the hands of a white hispanic minority, with none or very little mix, which is a point of pride for many of them. I apologize if I came across as condescending. I put a lot of effort in writing well in english and some nuance is lost. You remember well, I am spanish, but for several years I worked in southamerica, and I was surprised by the level of racism I saw there towards mixed people. Indiecitos, as they would call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    I was indeed talking about power dynamics, not number. Across southamerica the money, power and lands tend to be in the hands of a white hispanic minority, with none or very little mix, which is a point of pride for many of them. I apologize if I came across as condescending. I put a lot of effort in writing well in english and some nuance is lost. You remember well, I am spanish, but for several years I worked in southamerica, and I was surprised by the level of racism I saw there towards mixed people. Indiecitos, as they would call them.
    Ah ok, then yes I would agree. In terms of resources and power white hispanics have much more than any other racial or ethnic demographic. I did not mean to come across as that other minority groups do not face discrimination, they do, though I think it manifests differently in particular for Mestizoes. While I can totally see white hispanics calling a Mestizo Indiecitos behind their back, directly I think they would hesitate more because white hispanics are a minority.

Discrimination for a majority population is difficult and would incite more backlash, so the discrimination most commonly is more subtle. From what I understand, since I live in the US and only rarely visit relatives in CA or SA, it manifests more as a lack of opportunities and discrimination the more power they attempt to get. Sort of like how gender and sex affect power dynamics despite being relatively equal in population.

That's why I wrote that it would be more uncommon that they might face direct discrimination the way Roberto was written. I think colorism is more direct discrimination in SA, so I find the fact they were making colorist and racist remarks to Roberto more believable.

Anyway I apologize as well for misunderstanding the intent, reading tone over the internet can be difficult lol.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 08-28-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Ah ok, then yes I would agree. In terms of resources and power white hispanics have much more than any other racial or ethnic demographic. I did not mean to come across as that other minority groups do not face discrimination, they do, though I think it manifests differently in particular for Mestizoes. While I can totally see white hispanics calling a Mestizo Indiecitos behind their back, directly I think they would hesitate more because white hispanics are a minority.

Discrimination for a majority population is difficult and would incite more backlash, so the discrimination most commonly is more subtle. From what I understand, since I live in the US and only rarely visit relatives in CA or SA, it manifests more as a lack of opportunities and discrimination the more power they attempt to get. Sort of like how gender and sex affect power dynamics despite being relatively equal in population.

That's why I wrote that it would be more uncommon that they might face direct discrimination the way Roberto was written. I think colorism is more direct discrimination in SA, so I find the fact they were making colorist and racist remarks to Roberto more believable.

Anyway I apologize as well for misunderstanding the intent, reading tone over the internet can be difficult lol.
    Yup, that is pretty much how it works. In fact the most racist thing I have ever heard in my life was said to me by a brazilian white girl about black people. I will not reproduce it here, but she left me speechless. I did not think that kind of racism plus clasism existed anymore. Seemed something out of the last century. I was so young back then. Thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts. I always learn something, and I actually agree with you on this.

I feel like anyone who reads this exchange will lol....I know I did
    Good posts!
    GrindrStone(D)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    The exact reason may not be as important as the bottom line impact. Just like Black Panther has been written out of the current big event, I think it more than coincidence that black male hero ...taken out for the important part, and we have Synch and Darwin (another powerful black male hero) written out while major events are happening. I don't care about some flimsy explanation cause at the end of the this medium continues to mute or erase whatever is not white adjacent. All this speaks to art imitating life in a crazy way. We can't expect American culture to smoothly and openly accept and appreciate blackness in all shades and situations, we shouldn't be surprised at black male characters in fiction being watered-down, and/or pushed away.
    Despite all the big companies claiming support for social justice causes like Black Lives Matter, stuff like what you've outlined does give some cause to doubt the sincerity of those claims.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I feel like anyone who reads this exchange will lol....I know I did
    Good posts!
    Indeed.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I would love to see these guys on Krakoa:

windy.jpg

topspin.jpg

Derrick_Beacon.jpg
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I would love to see these guys on Krakoa:

windy.jpg

topspin.jpg

Derrick_Beacon.jpg
    The football guy from the Pizza Hut early 90s tie-in???

I’m pretty sure that guy doesn’t exist in continuity. Though I like to believe he was the prototype for Synch since Lobdell created him a few years before Generation X.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

I’m pretty sure that guy doesn’t exist in continuity. Though I like to believe he was the prototype for Synch since Lobdell created him a few years before Generation X.
    LMAO

That is Derrick Beacon. The other two are WindShear (can we get some Alpha Flighters?) and Topspin.

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura

This is ironic. CBR made a list for Top 10 charaters that are constantly whitewashed: https://www.cbr.com/xmen-whitewashed-characters-marvel/

10. Storm
    9. Evan
    8. Jubilee
    7. Kavita Rao
    6. Monet
    5. Sunspot
    4. Cecilia
    3. Dani
    2. Bishop
    1. Darwin

IDA with this list. The only ones I feel apply are Monet, Sunspot and maybe to a much smaller degree Jubilee. The rest are constantly drawn and portrayed as the ethnicity that they are and any errors are quite rare and far from a constant occurrence. I wouldnt count Darwin consider his skin is a side effect of his powers and thats been addressed in story

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This is ironic. CBR made a list for Top 10 charaters that are constantly whitewashed: https://www.cbr.com/xmen-whitewashed-characters-marvel/

10. Storm
    9. Evan
    8. Jubilee
    7. Kavita Rao
    6. Monet
    5. Sunspot
    4. Cecilia
    3. Dani
    2. Bishop
    1. Darwin

IDA with this list. The only ones I feel apply are Monet, Sunspot and maybe to a much smaller degree Jubilee. The rest are constantly drawn and portrayed as the ethnicity that they are and any errors are quite rare and far from a constant occurrence. I wouldnt count Darwin consider his skin is a side effect of his powers and thats been addressed in story
    Jubilee is Chinese in origin. So it's more about the shape of her face than skin color.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

Actually you're right! He is from a Pizza Hut promotion! He still should have been in Gen X

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Jubilee is Chinese in origin. So it's more about the shape of her face than skin color.
    Or her eyes being blue
    GrindrStone(D)