Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Attachment 87376

Why is she wearing Batgirl's old cowl? Kate has her own unique cowl, and her wig should show on top, IMHO.
    Otherwise, cool I guess, nice to see Kate appear in kids things as well, since she wasn't included in superhero girls as far as I know.

https://www.facebook.com/brandontsni...88314461423719
    It looks like they were going for the live-action first promo cowl
    Babs hair show up at the bottom of her cowl. This one shows up from the back.

Saw it, loved it

Actually was already sold on her like plucked right out of the comic book pages performance in the crossover event. And now the same for Alice in the pilot.

I know Kate's skin tone change from when she's first introduced in 52 and now where she's super pale, but has her character been consistent throughout?

Have they ever explained why she's super pale when her parents have average white people's tone? Is it an aesthetic choice or has it ever been acknowledged in-universe that she's different?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I know Kate's skin tone change from when she's first introduced in 52 and now where she's super pale, but has her character been consistent throughout?

Have they ever explained why she's super pale when her parents have average white people's tone? Is it an aesthetic choice or has it ever been acknowledged in-universe that she's different?
    It could be something genetic. My parents skin tones are a normal color, but my sister, her children, and my skin tone is exponentially more pale than either of my parents. Our hair is blonde, while both parents are brown. My parents eyes are brown and green, while our eyes are blue. Even then, our eyes are different shades of blue.

In the recent Gotham City Monsters cover art she doesn't seem to be as pale, I think it largely depends on the artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    It could be something genetic. My parents skin tones are a normal color, but my sister, her children, and my skin tone is exponentially more pale than either of my parents. Our hair is blonde, while both parents are brown. My parents eyes are brown and green, while our eyes are blue. Even then, our eyes are different shades of blue.
    Ah. I know certain genetic traits can skip a generation, but I haven't seen Kate's family beyond the immediate, so I didn't think that far.

More than most Big Two characters. That consistency, even in small details, is trackable, which is cool.

Aesthetic choice, same with her hair. No one in-universe has made mention that she's particularly pale or literally has fire-engine-red hair.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    More than most Big Two characters. That consistency, even in small details, is trackable, which is cool.

Aesthetic choice, same with her hair. No one in-universe has made mention that she's particularly pale or literally has fire-engine-red hair.
    Ah. Good. That makes things easier.
    There's a timeline of her back story at the start of the Batwoman series. Age wasn't mentioned but how many years ago does. Any contradiction with her old back story?

Ah. Good. That makes things easier.
    There's a timeline of her back story at the start of the Batwoman series. Age wasn't mentioned but how many years ago does. Any contradiction with her old back story?
    For the comics? Not much. She's been de-aged to about 27 at the start of the 2017 series, but that's the biggest one. She's currently right at the limit of DADT ending, now resigning in August of 2010.

There are some relatively minor additions, like a small bit of rulebreaking as a cadet (her sparring scene with Sophie would've been heavily against the rules, and Kate was previously depicted as very regimented), or a slight contextualizing of the kidnapping and Religion of Crime. But nothing truly contradictory.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

For the comics? Not much. She's been de-aged to about 27 at the start of the 2017 series, but that's the biggest one. She's currently right at the limit of DADT ending, now resigning in August of 2010.
    Since comic book characters don't really age, I wonder what'll happen with her backstory once it becomes too outdated.

It may be that they'll just play that off of 'bigots' who never changed. The occasional and horrid malcontent who still won't bake for gay weddings, etc.

There are some relatively minor additions, like a small bit of rulebreaking as a cadet (her sparring scene with Sophie would've been heavily against the rules, and Kate was previously depicted as very regimented), or a slight contextualizing of the kidnapping and Religion of Crime. But nothing truly contradictory.
    What about her dad? Would you count him leading The Colony as out of character, or is the new back story enough to justify it?

What about her dad? Would you count him leading The Colony as out of character, or is the new back story enough to justify it?
    There's nothing contradictory about it that I can see. He's not somehow a bad father for keeping a literal black ops project a secret from his civilian daughter. And it didn't make him power-hungry or evil or anything.

There's nothing contradictory about it that I can see. He's not somehow a bad father for keeping a literal black ops project a secret from his civilian daughter. And it didn't make him power-hungry or evil or anything.
    It's not directly contradictory, but it does vastly change the relationships, or at least how he seems upon revisits of the original tale. He was originally seen as supportive, for the most part, but now he seems controlling and manipulative. The new direction means that he intended for Kate to be a weapon all along, IMHO, and then Bruce manipulated Kate too to keep her away from her father's influence.

Kate went from being someone who was in charge of her life and doing what she wanted, despite her family members not approving, to being manipulated by her family and at some point doing what they wanted. Jacob originally didn't want Kate to be Batwoman, and neither did Batman arguably, but both were supportive once she did. Kate said she didn't want to join the Batfamily, Bruce respected that decision and kept his distance. But the 'Tec arc changed that dynamic where Jacob wanted Kate to become a particular type of soldier - one in his Colony, which she eventually did for a time. Likewise, Babs explains that Bruce wanted Kate to be a Bat rather than a soldier, he seems to have gotten his way, and yes ultimately Kate decided she wanted to be a Bat. But in the 'Tec arc, Bruce came to Kate saying he needed her help in training young vigilantes, and that was a manipulation, he didn't need her help. She didn't up and volunteer to join the Batfamily either, she was offered a position that was enticing and tricked into thinking her help was needed, IMHO.

So with the Colony and Gotham Knights disbanded - the status quo is returned and both Jacob and Bruce are supportive without seemingly interfering with her life, and yet after all of that story line, the context of their relationships are just that bit more problematic IMHO. Although amusingly I guess that really does make Kate part of the Batfamily, where Bruce seems to frequently be depicted as manipulating his family and trying to control them, instead of being more supportive and understanding.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 10-13-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    It's not directly contradictory, but it does vastly change the relationships, or at least how he seems upon revisits of the original tale. He was originally seen as supportive, for the most part, but now he seems controlling and manipulative. The new direction means that he intended for Kate to be a weapon all along, IMHO
    He didn't push her to join the Army, though. That was all her choice. Had she actually been commissioned, Colony service could have been a thing he brought up to her naturally in time. Intent isn't manipulation, because there's nothing he could have done to manipulate her into that prior to her becoming Batwoman.

But the 'Tec arc changed that dynamic where Jacob wanted Kate to become a particular type of soldier - one in his Colony, which she eventually did for a time.
    That's not manipulation so much as it is Jacob not understanding his daughter, which is a trait of his established years earlier. He doesn't understand that being Batwoman already fulfills her, however tempting a more legitimate role might be. That's why he offered it to her.