Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Would you like modern Batman to be more like Adam West Batman, or dark and grim?

Someone that can be serious, but isn't a total jerk, emotionally constipated, and can smile (genuinely) on regular occasions?

And, yes, the recent Titans episode may have slightly influenced this, but my point stands.

No, I'm not talking about stuffing Luke Fox into the suit for this kind of thing, I'm talking about Bruce Wayne.

I ask because as time goes on with his current direction, I find it harder and harder to justify why he has kids, why he has friends, and why he isn't locked up in Blackgate with the other psychos.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

During Morrison's run Bruce enjoyed being Batman if I remember correctly. Personally the driven vigilante with gritted teeth becomes a bit stale after a while but currently Bruce has TOO MANY family members for my taste and even a wive. It'd be nice to retire Bruce for a while and put the cowl on someone else until DC comes up with better stories.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 10-23-2019 at 12:22 AM.

I would like to see him be more like he was in the 70s. I am reading the old Brave and Bold and I am loving enjoying how they wrote him. He worked with the police. Worked well with other heroes. He and Superman were friends not rivals. I have never been a fan of Dark Batman. I will read comics where he is dark I just dont enjoy them that much. Dark Brooding, Bat god who knows everything and will not listen to others. Thats not my favorite Batman.

I dont think we live in a world where he could be like Adam West. People may enjoy the campy Batman tv show but I think that is more nostalgia then anything else.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Why does it have to be between 2 radical extremes? How about a middle option like Bronze Age Batman and TAS Batman.

TAS Batman is the definite take on Batman. I don't want West or heavy Dark and Grim.

The Dark and Grim and brooding Batman we have now is getting old but the Adam West Batman is the other extreme and would be just as tiresome (Though I'd honestly take EmoBat over him suddenly becoming like West)

Like others have already said, a nice middle ground would be a Batman like the one from the old animated Universe. He could be brooding and dark at times, but he didn't always let it consume every facet of his life. He could be happy, comedic, and loving towards his family. But it wasn't overly hammy or out of character. That Bruce Wayne just...worked. Still a badass but more....human. much better than the overdramatic jerkass that we have now.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Given Batman's popularity, you can do it all at once. We've already had Adam West era books side by side with the grim and gritty. There's no reason you couldn't continue to have different books varying the tone.

Somewhere in the middle of the two extremes of light and dark would be nice.

Tomasi's recent Deadshot arc in 'Tec was a great example of a likable, fully-functioning-on-his-own Bruce Wayne. I'd like to see more of it.

Ultimately, I think like most of us I'd prefer a nice balance.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wait, let me think...

I don't think I've seen my ideal Bruce Wayne yet, because each version has its own problems.

I wanna see what happens when Michael Keaton has a Robin

I think more people would be open to a more balanced, bronze-age, Batman.

Incredible Member

I agree he shouldn't be overly grim. Adam West is too far the other way.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wait, let me think...

I don't think I've seen my ideal Bruce Wayne yet, because each version has its own problems.

I wanna see what happens when Michael Keaton has a Robin
    I've always considered Val Kilmer's Batman in Forever to be a continuation of Keaton's version of the character. 'Officially' that's always been the case. But if you look at it from a thematic perspective as well, it makes sense. Keaton's Bruce was a disturbed man who became Batman because he literally couldn't cope with his parent's death and was obsessed with having the world make sense again. We see Kilmer's Bruce reflect on his past and come to terms with his decision to become Batman, and the obsession that initially drove him to the cape and cowl, and it matches up with what we saw in the Keaton films. Of course, Kilmer's Bruce has had years to mellow down and has realized that killing isn't the answer (since killing the Joker didn't bring him peace in the end), and by the end of Forever he decides to remain Batman out of choice, and not because of obsession.

The tonal schizophrenia of that film unfortunately makes it hard to appreciate the very real character arc that Bruce goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    TAS Batman is the definite take on Batman. I don't want West or heavy Dark and Grim.
    The three faces of Joker meet the three faces of Batman: Campy, Grim, and Ninja lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    The three faces of Joker meet the three faces of Batman: Campy, Grim, and Ninja lol
    Ninja is hardly the same as the other two though - you can be campy and a ninja, or grim and a ninja. Nina is more how you operate combat and stealth wise, while grim and campy are more personal descriptors.