Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    They have a lot of goofy nerd charcters in all of their shows (Curtis, Cisco, Felicity, Ray, Nate, Winn ...) to me it looks pretty much as they are going for the same archetype again. And I think like in the case of Curtis, that this would be quite a down grade, from the comics version. (In case of Curtis it is even worse).
    Guess they are aiming to contrast the main cast from each other as much as possible. Still, Cisco, Winn and Ray are all reasonably different, I don't notice too much unless they're all in the same room together, then it gets jarring. Well, hopefully they develop Luke to be more unique. All we've seen of him so far is the first trailer.

. it looks like there allready plently of guys on Youtube complaining about the series beeing to "woke".
    Meh. Out of interest I started reading some stuff about marketing and turns out there is a legitimate marketing strategy known as 'Troll Marketing'. Plus, ppl love an underdog, so apparently those in agreement can double-down in support. I checked a fairly prominent feminist blog site to see the comment section on the trailer, and this seems to be true, it was mostly praise after praise. And more than a few were gleeful that the "man babies" were triggered.

I'm far from an expert, but a quick bit of research suggests the 'backlash' was all highly intentional. As to whether it pays off remains to be seen. In either case, this has been highly educational.

By Alex Ross:

IMG_20190517_204934.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Forgot to post here. I'm fine everything in the Batwoman trailer except the line "it will be when it fits a woman" and "I won't let a man take the credit for a woman's work" (and Luke Fox, and "Batman gave up on us")when she literally trespassed and stole her cousin's stuff.

I wish she just makes her own gears right off the bat (lol) coz at least then it makes sense for her to be annoyed. It also gives the wrong impression on her comic character.

It looks like she'll make it after she realized that people are just gonna credit Batman if she straight up just use Batman costume as is.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-19-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Her character is profoundly different right now, but that can change, and there are other changes that can account for it. It might just be that this Kate starts out as a huge *******.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yeah but Batwoman's already fighting an uphill battle of being a woman and lesbian and derivation of DC cash cow. She doesn't need a bad first impression on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    It might just be that this Kate starts out as a huge *******.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yeah but Batwoman's already fighting an uphill battle of being a woman and lesbian and derivation of DC cash cow. She doesn't need a bad first impression on top of it.
    I'm in two minds about that. It's very hard to get minority characters 'right' without getting a lot of criticism that 'default' (white/male/straight) characters are exempt from. People for example complained that Ray from Star Wars is a Mary Sue, but then sometimes when minority characters have flaws many people will complain they are too flawed and bad representation.

A new Pop, apparently exclusive to the Diamond catalogue:

IMG_20190520_010104.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    but then sometimes when minority characters have flaws many people will complain they are too flawed and bad representation.
    But those people who are pushing for minority characters are anyway hard to please, when Ruby Rose was cast as Batwoman there was iirc for her not being gay enough and not being jewish.

And in the end people on both side on the discussion will always find something to be outraged about, since that's how they generate traffic for their sites/channels.

But those people who are pushing for minority characters are anyway hard to please, when Ruby Rose was cast as Batwoman there was iirc for her not being gay enough and not being jewish.

And in the end people on both side on the discussion will always find something to be outraged about, since that's how they generate traffic for their sites/channels.
    Yeah, ppl are addicted to outrage. I like it when characters have some flaws, it's makes them more compelling and relate-able. It also gives them room for growth. Live-action Kate Kane being a brat caught me by surprise though, but I'm okay with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Yeah, ppl are addicted to outrage. I like it when characters have some flaws, it's makes them more compelling and relate-able. It also gives them room for growth. Live-action Kate Kane being a brat caught me by surprise though, but I'm okay with it now.
    There's people out there that agree with her. Those 'flaws' are seen as positives and makes it more relatable to those people, which doesn't seem to be the majority looking at pretty much most of like/dislikes on the official YouTube videos for BW stuff.

But hey if CW is marketing her whole screw men phase as something she'll eventually grow out of in a character arc it could turn plenty of heads due to how trendy the whole thing currently is.

By Greg Woronchak:

IMG_20190523_094012.jpg

By David Sheronick:

Screenshot_20190519-011924.jpg

Added a new chapter to this story. It's mostly Kate's reaction to the repeal of DADT, and it shows the very start of her alcohol abuse, well before it's actually a problem.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/17...pters/40492400

A rare non-appearance that I'm thankful for: with today's final issue, Kate was not in Heroes in Crisis whatsoever. Sigh of relief from me.