Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man Newspaper Strip Appreciation 2019

New year, new problems for Syndicated Strip Spidey.

Under the control of The Purple Man, Peter has webbed up Killgrave's previous victim Luke Cage and swings off carrying Killgrave and a valuable safe just as the police arrive. Luke will likely be carted off protesting his and Spidey's innocence while Peter is forced to embark on a life of crime that'll discredit him. I wonder how MJ will react? More importantly, will the Parkers ever reach Australia?

It should be noted that Stan's name is still credited on the strip, so I'm wondering if that'll change after this arc is complete
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-02-2019 at 05:50 AM.

BANNED

I think for legacy reasons it will still stay on top.

I am actually surprised and impressed that this strip lasted as long as it has. I don't expect it to last further. Maybe another 2 years or 5 years, but certainly not another decade.

I hope they write a good closing arc and wrap things up. This is Marvel's longest lasting newspaper strip and until the Sam Raimi movie, this was how non-comics fans first learned and experienced Spider-Man around the world owing to the fact that newspapers are cheaper to subscribe and more widely circulated than superhero comics and less continuity heavy. I think this needs a proper send-off when they do it.

I was about 8 years old when I first read Spider-Man in this newspaper strip. And that was my first Spidey...the most important characters were Peter, MJ, Jameson, and the strip often had Peter battle a more diverse set of villains. Like Magneto for instance and that was my first introduction to the Master of Magnetism (and I still think he works wonderfully as a Spider-Man villain which the comics only did with the Captain Universe story). And again to me Spider-Man being married, his wife knowing his double life and so on...that made him more relatable to me as a young person than any corporate-pandering high school demographic-baiting agenda ever did.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 01-02-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: change

BANNED

Yes! Yes!

MJ's teaming up with Luke Cage

BANNED

Turns out Cage has seen Marvella, he thought it was great. MJ accepts the compliment, but needs to talk to him about Spider-Man. I guess she must have left the safety of the cab and saw what happened.

BANNED

Killgrave sets Peter the task of opening the safe he's stolen, while MJ requests Cage help her in making sure Peter doesn't become public enemy number one.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I've read some of the strips but they only feature it sometimes, like when 90s Spider-Man cartoon and the movies were aired since we have our own local strip. Sounds like it's a regular thing in the states?

BANNED

I guess it used to be more regular. Until the Sam Raimi movie came along, the newspaper strip was a common entry-point and gateway for new readers into Spider-Man. It was light on continuity, low on violence, high on comedy, didn't have a whiny Peter...and it introduced many readers to Spider-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I've read some of the strips but they only feature it sometimes, like when 90s Spider-Man cartoon and the movies were aired since we have our own local strip. Sounds like it's a regular thing in the states?
    I first discovered the strips on the Spider-Man Crawl Space website, which began hosting the strip in 2009, but eventually were told to stop doing so as the archive they were amassing were leading readers away from Comic Kingdom, which normally hosts a seven day stretch of strips, with the full catalogue being available to subscribers. In hosting the strips, Crawlspace were essentially becoming competition.

Since then, I've followed the strip at Comic Kingdom and began archiving them myself, it gives you the option to save the strips.

I think there's more than enough to go into syndication, like Peanuts and Dick Tracy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I think there's more than enough to go into syndication, like Peanuts and Dick Tracy.
    It would be a bummer to stop the strip just because Stan's gone.

BANNED

Luke and MJ discuss Spider-Man, Luke points out he's seen photos of the two together in the past, MJ covers for Peter's secret and tells Luke Spider-Man's saved her life a couple of times and now it's her turn to save his, she proposes that she and Cage do it together. We're definitely getting a team-up between them.

BANNED

MJ takes Luke back to her and Peter's apartment, Luke is surprised someone like her lives in such small accommodation, MJ says she and Peter have discussed moving in the past (in real time this was six or seven years ago!)

BANNED

MJ bumps into a neighbour when riding the elevator with Luke back to her and Peter's apartment, the neighbour accuses her of "hobknobbing" with Cage and hopes she doesn't draw the attention of his enemies.

BANNED

Again, I am loving how much of a pro MJ is being here, reacting to Peter's situation sensibly, asking Luke the correct questions about the Purple Man, remembering that Peter has something back home she can use to help him out...

Where was this investigative pro-active MJ during Superior Spider-Man?

BANNED

MJ finds what she was looking for, Peter's master Spider tracer, which should enable her to find him. Luke asks how Peter rates her relationship with Spidey, but MJ reminds him the two already "know" each other. Cage then remembers Peter's credit on the Bugle photographs. Meanwhile Killgrave has decided what kind of crime he wants Peter to commit for him