Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Miguel O'Hara: Spider-Man 2099 Appreciation 2019

"According to the solicits, they will release Spider-Man 2099 Classic Vol. 5 in 2019, but it looks like it'll mostly be the Venom 2099 arc plus Spider-Man 2099 Meets Spider-Man, along with some more miscellaneous but presumably Miguel-centric material.

As for Lyla as Miguel's love interest, I'd say it's strictly one-sided on Lyla's part, but given how accepting we've become, at least in fiction, towards "artificial" or "synthetic" life that has been sufficiently anthropomorphized . . . "

Thanks for the information Huntsman Spider! i will take what they give me! I'm glad enough to have a volume 5 soon! The venom 2099 arc was really intense back in the day and I like the crossover with Peter. Can't wait to buy this volume!

By the way, here are the solicits: https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN191115
    Last edited by Naked Bat; 01-02-2019 at 02:17 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Thanks for restarting this thread. Given that it's 2019 now, we've only got eight decades more to go!
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I had this impression that Lyla was meant to go on "journey toward sentience" at the start of the classic run, but Peter David seemed to end up prefering writting her exclusively as comic relief (Cause she's pretty great at it), still her closeness to Miguel is undeniable and her presence was a good addition to the 2014 run.

Also yes, the script confirm the women he's speaking is Lyla (she just happen to Look like bootleg Kate Hudson in Almost famous rather than Marylin Monroe)

There was so much stories to tell when they ended the first volume. I kinda like how Miguel was the one true hero of the 2099 universe in world of tomorrow and manifest destiny, but I still think his story needed to develop more before coming to that.

Also, I really liked volume 2 and 3 that we got those last few years, but the ending was so rushed, there were so many subplots with no satisfying ending, not to mention last issue is a less satysfying version of a certain visual novel ending.

Anyway, Miguel was featured proeminently in Lego Marvel heroes 2, he has one fo the best scenes in spider-verse, we got to play with his two suits in Marvel's Spider-man... Who knows if we won't see him again in comics soon?

Also, once they release Spider-man 2099 vs venom 2099, one last volume should be enough to finish the original run.

I wish they would make a new 2099 line, not only with Miguel, but also with Ghost Rider 2099. It was such an interesting run as well. The ending was really good.

How is the original run? I have never read much of Miguel.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    It's some of the best superhero stories I've read. There is a lot of character development, Miguel has a great supporting cast, the future setting is used really well, the action is great but never overtakes the story. The corporate aspect is really interesting too. Leonardi did most of the art and he was a great fit for David's vision.

What I really like is how Miguel grows from being an insufferable ass to someone more thoughtful who becomes a symbol for the little man against the big corporations. He's really nothing like Peter, he's a very different Spider-man. He's very much of product of the 90's, in that he's kinda edgy, but it makes sense in the context of the story, and he develops in a more well rounded character. He's not a quiper like Peter, he may somethimes joke, but his humor is very dry. His family drama his really interesting as well.

You should definitely try to read the original run. The revival (vol 2 and vol 3) is really good (with a rushed ending though) but it's not as interesting. There was a lot of potential (what with him working for his great great grandfather and all) but it wasn't used to its full extent.

The 2099 setting is incredible.

It's by far my favorite Spider-Man series, and the first one I ever started collecting personally. Was delighted to see his little scene in Into the Spider-Verse

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    There was so much stories to tell when they ended the first volume. I kinda like how Miguel was the one true hero of the 2099 universe in world of tomorrow and manifest destiny, but I still think his story needed to develop more before coming to that.
    If you read the fourth volume of the classic run, there is some editioral at the end that was written at the time of the classic run about the recent reveal of Miguel's actual father and the road trip storyline and it actually indicate it was meant to go on much longer (I think they are reference to Miguel visiting an underwater base and California, which don't happen, considering this was just before President Doom, I think the event might have cut the trip short and that's why it goes straight to mexico)

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I very much recommend reading the first volume of the classic run, it has age pretty well considering the era it was made in

the 2014 books are good, but only if you like the characters, the change of setting don't really benefit Miguel a lot of the time, but eventually it bounce around alternate future, which is kinda fun

I kinda wish they had done more with the Avengers 2099

Supposedly, PAD wanted to do more with Atlantis 2099 too.

Probably my two favorite Miguel pics

The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Probably my two favorite Miguel pics

Very nice art.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Here own of my favourite fan-art redesign (Okay maybe I'd remove a few holograms, but I like it)

tumblr_pgbq3tBCVE1w7p1kmo1_540.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    Here own of my favourite fan-art redesign (Okay maybe I'd remove a few holograms, but I like it)

tumblr_pgbq3tBCVE1w7p1kmo1_540.jpg
    Not bad. I liked the Beenox Spider-Man games' version of 2099, with the subtle energy lines running through Miguel's suit. Really sold the idea that he was a futuristic Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not bad. I liked the Beenox Spider-Man games' version of 2099, with the subtle energy lines running through Miguel's suit. Really sold the idea that he was a futuristic Spider-Man.
    Defintiively better than the PS4 black suit (sorry insomaniac, although the white suit look amazing), though I am not crazy about they had that bit of highlight sweeping through the suit every 5 seconds or so

Mind you it presumably shoudn't have line since, it's basically a Fantastic 4 costume

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    Defintiively better than the PS4 black suit (sorry insomaniac, although the white suit look amazing), though I am not crazy about they had that bit of highlight sweeping through the suit every 5 seconds or so

Mind you it presumably shoudn't have line since, it's basically a Fantastic 4 costume
    Fair enough, but for a videogame, it added some much-needed texture and dimension to the suit.