Page 24 of 137 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    All to show how dedicated they are to the racism metaphor

Christ
    Almost like white male writers will use non white male characters as props for the white male characters they relate to.

Be better than this, X-Office.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Exactly. Even Rosenberg's use of "this is forever", which as he pointed out in his twitter bullshit, is a phrase that is supposed to communicate to people with suicidal depression that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary feeling and sensation, to show that as bad as things may seem now, they will get better. But then he uses it in such a way in this story that it's meaning becomes twisted to suggest that it is the feeling of hopelessness and despair that are forever, and then uses that as justification for Ruth taking her own life, it's dangerously irresponsible writing.
    I understood the "this is forever" as the writer saying "this will not be retconned". That was really the last story of Blindfold and she won't be resurrected

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I understood the "this is forever" as the writer saying "this will not be retconned". That was really the last story of Blindfold and she won't be resurrected
    I don't. I cant trust anything.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Spectacular Member

A comics writer saying "this death is permanent" is always faintly desperate.

"Death is basically meaningless in superhero stories, but not this time, reader."
    Really, come on.

-has the gay kid on the side of eugenics because he’s ugly or something
    -only Pacific Islander killed off (off-page, with one panel showing her dead body covered in blood with no one in the entire story reacting to her death)
    -has the disabled girl kill herself because she can’t see a future without dying

I never thought I’d be That Person, but maybe Rosenberg should stay away from heavily politicized issues in this run. Every one so far has been a fumble. Also, splicing her story with the other two main characters who JUST came back from the dead really deflated the story. Not because I’m expecting Ruth to ever come back, but because it shows how Scott, Logan, even EYEBOY will get five and six chances at life while we still can’t Tempo, Tag, Wallflower, etc etc back.

Exactly. Even Rosenberg's use of "this is forever", which as he pointed out in his twitter bullshit, is a phrase that is supposed to communicate to people with suicidal depression that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary feeling and sensation, to show that as bad as things may seem now, they will get better. But then he uses it in such a way in this story that it's meaning becomes twisted to suggest that it is the feeling of hopelessness and despair that are forever, and then uses that as justification for Ruth taking her own life, it's dangerously irresponsible writing.
    All of this. The entire message (and seemingly the direction of the whole run up until the inevitable “subversion”) is that the X-Men are stuck in a cycle. Why the hell would you put the person whose power it is to see inevitable futures be the one who decided it would be best to kill themself? With X-Men Red, at least when the story missed its mark, it wasn’t actively harming people. I’ve seen some people on Twitter who have gotten triggered (in the way the word is meant to be used) by both a lack of warning and almost shock scare of a panel of a dead Blindfold in a bathtub that conveniently wasn’t covering her naked body. Everything about this is gross and unnecessary

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    So in one issue, the X-World lost a disabled character, a Pacific Islander character, and a Mexican character (by making him too old to use in a superhero comic)?

Cyclops and Wolverine must be feeling so much PAIN.
    Wolverine: All these nonwhite, nonabled kids dying is getting me REALLY MOTIVATED!

Even if that was his intent...and if so its another example of his terrible handling of these characters...good luck with that. The fact that overuse of death and resurrection has rendered them an insulting annoyance as a storytelling tool by the majority of writers aside...all its going to take with the current editorial climate is one person forgetting and/or not doing basic research and including her in the usual wallpaper round up and then we'll get told her being back is "a story yet to be told" or some other dumb excuse for people not doing their jobs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I don't. I cant trust anything.
    Keep in mind this isn't one of the O5, or any of the characters who flourished in the 80s and 90s, which is all X-Editorial really cares about these days. She's one of the New X-Men. At BEST we can hope for a writer to use her because he completely forgot she was supposed to be dead, and when called out White will just dismiss it as a "Story Yet To Be Told" rather than admitting Editorial was asleep on the job.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Even if that was his intent...and if so its another example of his terrible handling of these characters...good luck with that. The fact that overuse of death and resurrection has rendered them an insulting annoyance as a storytelling tool by the majority of writers aside...all its going to take with the current editorial climate is one person forgetting and/or not doing basic research and including her in the usual wallpaper round up and then we'll get told her being back is "a story yet to be told" or some other dumb excuse for people not doing their jobs.
    Dammit, you ninja'ed me, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Dammit, you ninja'ed me, lol!
    Sorry. Been practicing those ninja skills a little too much I think.

Yup. Remember when Anole was going to be killed off to show how very bad homophobia is? Same shades of that nonsense here. And I don't think that Rosenberg's own experiences with self-harm and depression give him a pass on questionable execution - if this was supposed to be a PSA, it seems very much aimed at people who aren't already in that position of hopelessness. Because Christ, if I'd read that while I was at one of my low points? Seeing a character I was supposed to empathize with kill themselves would not have inspired me to get help.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Seeing a character I was supposed to empathize with kill themselves would not have inspired me to get help.
    Made infinitely worse by her power being to see the future, so she knows for a fact that it won't get better and is not a temporary problem.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    All of this. The entire message (and seemingly the direction of the whole run up until the inevitable “subversion”) is that the X-Men are stuck in a cycle. Why the hell would you put the person whose power it is to see inevitable futures be the one who decided it would be best to kill themself?
    From a meta standpoint it sends an interesting message.

"A character who can see the future of the line thinks it's hopeless and killed herself. Get out of X-Men comics now..."

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    And supposedly we'll be losing Indra and Elixir in upcoming issues. And given that Chamber's down with the morlocks, I wouldn't put much stock into him not getting killed off either.
    Wait, what? Why!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Keep in mind this isn't one of the O5, or any of the characters who flourished in the 80s and 90s, which is all X-Editorial really cares about these days. She's one of the New X-Men. At BEST we can hope for a writer to use her because he completely forgot she was supposed to be dead, and when called out White will just dismiss it as a "Story Yet To Be Told" rather than admitting Editorial was asleep on the job.
    Kinda like Eye Boy who was dead for all of 5 seconds before making a miraculous recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Wait, what? Why!
    They got asked about on twitter and the reply was that they'd be appearing soon but we wouldn't like it. So the best guess is they're getting killed off too.