Page 93 of 137 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 2043

That panel was the Advocates' first and only appearance, in Uncanny X-Men #444. Looks like the artist was too lazy to design a set of costumes that matched the ones used by the five teams shown in Academy X.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_444

Naiad (Aurelie Sabayon)
    Boggart (Robin Wise)
    Pinpoint (Gerard Cooper)
    Trovao (Pedro de Noli)
    Umbra (Patrick Nesbitt)
    Xenon (Shaun Kennedy)

The entire team was depowered on M-Day. The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z and House of M: The Day After named them and explained their fate.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-22-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Anole, Bling!, Three-In-One, Hellion, Wind Dancer, Prodigy, Match, Armor. All the confirmed squad leaders. Pretty kickass team.

They also showed up two issues later, cameo still, where whatever Claremont villain that arc did something to everyone in the mansion that made them pass out. Also, idk it isn't confirmed but I'm assuming the entire team was on the bus.

The school had 200+ students and only 45 were on the bus (they didn't even evacuate all the depowered students on it - notably Prodigy, who ended up staying). So there's no way of knowing if they were on it or not. Either way, they haven't appeared since.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

There were only 182 students IIRC. Plus, yeah it isn't confirmed but I love angst and what better pain to put on an X-Man than having their cherished trainees brutally blown up. But also Rogue was going through enough so maybe not...

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Hardly a shortcoming, as none of them have names. They only ever showed up in this one background panel.
    thats why I dont think its surprising we didnt see more with Rogue and them. Its not like Karma or Gambit's squads which consisted of D-listers but they at least were named and actual characters

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The school had 200+ students and only 45 were on the bus (they didn't even evacuate all the depowered students on it - notably Prodigy, who ended up staying). So there's no way of knowing if they were on it or not. Either way, they haven't appeared since.
    Yeah specter and Preview were not on the bus..

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    thats why I dont think its surprising we didnt see more with Rogue and them. Its not like Karma or Gambit's squads which consisted of D-listers but they at least were named and actual characters
    I was agreeing with you, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I was agreeing with you, dude.
    I realize that

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    There were only 182 students IIRC. Plus, yeah it isn't confirmed but I love angst and what better pain to put on an X-Man than having their cherished trainees brutally blown up. But also Rogue was going through enough so maybe not...
    It said over 200 on the recap pages at the time. Are you sure 182 wasn't the number of depowered students?

Ultimate Member

Naiad (Aurelie Sabayon) [water breathing]
    Boggart (Robin Wise) [super strength]
    Pinpoint (Gerard Cooper) [enhanced vision]
    Trovao (Pedro de Noli) [creates sonic booms]
    Umbra (Patrick Nesbitt) [darkness powers]
    Xenon (Shaun Kennedy) [generates light]
    AFAIK, they were not explicitly 'on the bus,' so they could have caught a ride back to NYC (to the airport, presumably, since, at the very least, Naiad, Boggart and Travao, were international students) in one of the older students cars, and, when the mutant gene was re-ignited, at least some of them could have regained their powers later. I'd be inclined to add some diversity (make Boggart able to 'hulk up' into his 'green form' with super-strength, but 'normally' be a biracial Asian kid, with a British father and a mother originally from Hong Kong, and Umbra Jewish, and Pinpoint African-American, but harder-to-peg as such, due to his mutant form), since the team is pretty white as depicted (with only Travao, a Latino), and a bit heavily slanted towards dudes (with five dudes and Naiad).

It's an interesting mix of powers. A fair amount of offense, with sonic booms and blinding flashes and super-strength, a few characters stuck in the 'Doug Ramsey' role of having a mutant power that's useless in a fight (water breathing, enhanced vision), not a speck of defense among them (other than blinding foes or hiding in shadows!), but that's not uncommon, the original five New Mutants had exactly one character (Cannonball) with any defensive ability at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Well i will give it a shot but i do confess missing the boys and girls of New X-men.

BTW, can someone explain to me why Kyle and Yost are so disliked? I got some heat for liking them but no one will give me a clear reason why their run is so hated.
    I think that Kyle/Yost's run, and the whole M-Day/Decimation era in general, is less fondly remembered now because it was an extinction story, and Marvel tried telling yet more extinction stories recently with its Inhumans poison gas cloud nonsense and with Rosenberg's Uncanny run. The drama and tension inherent in extinction stories can get repetitive and dull. I honestly think the M-Day extinction era is my favorite period on the X-line following Classic Claremont.

I can understand people being upset about a busload of kids being blown up, but the brilliance of Kyle and Yost's run is that they brought the Purifiers back. No other group better exemplifies a humanity that "hates and fears" our X-protagonists. We live in a world where religious zealots physically and psychologically abuse children in conversion therapy camps, where some strap bombs to their chests and die for their convictions, where they beat people who are different to death and hang them up on fence posts. The Purifiers should be the scariest, most dangerous foes for mutants, and Kyle and Yost made them so. And blowing up a bus full of kids isn't out of the ordinary for them either, their first introduction in God Loves, Man Kills had them murdering two children.

I think enduring the horrors of the Purifiers set in motion a lot of character development for the New X-men kids. Hellion had to watch a bunch of his friends, including those he was a jerk to, die. He had to manage that guilt. Surge had to step up as a leader. Elixir went from carefree playboy to a darker antihero. Etc, etc.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    I think that Kyle/Yost's run, and the whole M-Day/Decimation era in general, is less fondly remembered now because it was an extinction story, and Marvel tried telling yet more extinction stories recently with its Inhumans poison gas cloud nonsense and with Rosenberg's Uncanny run. The drama and tension inherent in extinction stories can get repetitive and dull. I honestly think the M-Day extinction era is my favorite period on the X-line following Classic Claremont.

I can understand people being upset about a busload of kids being blown up, but the brilliance of Kyle and Yost's run is that they brought the Purifiers back. No other group better exemplifies a humanity that "hates and fears" our X-protagonists. We live in a world where religious zealots physically and psychologically abuse children in conversion therapy camps, where some strap bombs to their chests and die for their convictions, where they beat people who are different to death and hang them up on fence posts. The Purifiers should be the scariest, most dangerous foes for mutants, and Kyle and Yost made them so. And blowing up a bus full of kids isn't out of the ordinary for them either, their first introduction in God Loves, Man Kills had them murdering two children.

I think enduring the horrors of the Purifiers set in motion a lot of character development for the New X-men kids. Hellion had to watch a bunch of his friends, including those he was a jerk to, die. He had to manage that guilt. Surge had to step up as a leader. Elixir went from carefree playboy to a darker antihero. Etc, etc.
    I'll agree with all of this. Marvel rehashing the Extinction plot one after another has pretty badly watered the whole thing down. The post-Decimation era was great because it actually FELT like a major shift in the status quo (and it was). The subsequent plots have just been more of the same. Plus it gave a real sense of characters moving forward and changing, as the New X-Men began training in earnest to step up as the next generation of X-Men. The later ones (Fart Cloud, etc.) have just been an excuse to return to/maintain the Claremont/Byrne/Lee status quo rather than try doing something or push forward in new directions as was the case for Decimation and its aftermath.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 08-23-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Not sure if Disney would do it or not, but I have to admit that I would be really interested in seeing some sort of adaptation of the "Childhood's End" stuff.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I thin an animated NXM series would be fantastic.

If done well...it'd give YJ a run for its money
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

It said over 200 on the recap pages at the time. Are you sure 182 wasn't the number of depowered students?
    I don’t believe so, some articles on the wikia say 27 of the 182 students retained their powers.