Page 56 of 137 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    It makes me wonder how much effort he put into actually reading up on these characters. Which is unsurprisingly nothing.
    Like I said, I don't blame anyone for finding the pre-decimation series unremarkable enough to not look into. They're well written books, but the art was largely terrible and had next to no impact outside of its own pages.

He referenced the general amount of research he did for main characters in new series, and it seemed fairly sound. But at the end of the day NextGen is a Glob Herman vehicle, the NXM and other students are just supporting players of varying importance. I wouldn't be surprised if his only major research for most of the student body is largely from post-schism appearances. With that being said, I think he's treating them well enough for an alt universe series.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Like I said, I don't blame anyone for finding the pre-decimation series unremarkable enough to not look into. They're well written books, but the art was largely terrible and had next to no impact outside of its own pages.

He referenced the general amount of research he did for main characters in new series, and it seemed fairly sound. But at the end of the day NextGen is a Glob Herman vehicle, the NXM and other students are just supporting players of varying importance. I wouldn't be surprised if his only major research for most of the student body is largely from post-schism appearances. With that being said, I think he's treating them well enough for an alt universe series.
    What art in there was terrible? Michael Ryan and Randy Green did great work, but I can see what you’re talking about if you’re referring to early Medina. But regardless of whether you find it unremarkable, it’s literally their first appearances and introduces a lot of their existing relationships. It’s not like he has to go hunting for this cause it’s on Marvel Unlimited. And most of the characters he was writing for didn’t even get major development after Schism, what is he researching? How well they look drawn in the background?

His Pixie is the only one I think he’s really getting right. I miss sarcastic Armor but that may just from Ellis. A Rockslide that doesn’t act like a buffoon or lovable bully isn’t Rockslide to me and Brisson writes him like a generic guy. I feel like I need to read these last two issues of Nextgen because I don’t know if I like his take on Anole yet.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    What art in there was terrible? Michael Ryan and Randy Green did great work, but I can see what you’re talking about if you’re referring to early Medina. But regardless of whether you find it unremarkable, it’s literally their first appearances and introduces a lot of their existing relationships. It’s not like he has to go hunting for this cause it’s on Marvel Unlimited. And most of the characters he was writing for didn’t even get major development after Schism, what is he researching? How well they look drawn in the background?

His Pixie is the only one I think he’s really getting right. I miss sarcastic Armor but that may just from Ellis. A Rockslide that doesn’t act like a buffoon or lovable bully isn’t Rockslide to me and Brisson writes him like a generic guy. I feel like I need to read these last two issues of Nextgen because I don’t know if I like his take on Anole yet.
    I'm speaking more so in regards to the 2003 New Mutants series that introduced many of the characters than the later Academy X. If that series had a single panel aside from covers that wasn't awful I must have missed it somehow. Academy X admittedly did seriously better in the art department, but very little of the narrative carried over into Kyle/Yost's run to the point that it's largely an unnecessary read for research purposes. Kyle/Yost is when they actually start to have some form of significant impact to the X-Men as a whole, if all you do for research is look over those issues I wouldn't blame you for not registering who Wind Dancer is.

As for researching minor/background appearances, yeah. That's probably what he did. They've been minor, background characters for most of their existence. Their minimal roles are where they've made the majority of their appearances. Outside looking in there isn't a lot of required reading that wouldn't be covered by a very quick skimming of a wikipedia article.

I think he's been doing fine with who he's working with. In any case, I can forgive slightly or even significantly off characterization for the sake of a well made comic. Which honestly NextGen is, it's just a Glob Herman comic.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I just hit me Tomura Shigaraki from my hero academia was based on Wither. And spinner might be ninja anole.
    MHA is fanfiction written by Rockslide
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    MHA is fanfiction written by Rockslide
    But then who is the artist ?

Colossus, of course. Where else are the sexualized teenage girls gonna come from?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

ANole whole else

Hellion is the editor
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Well him not know who Wind Dancer is makes me feel a little better, there was some speculation that she was supposed to take Anole's place as the one who stole the vial of the cure in Disassembled to cause the latest mutant genocide
    Wah?!? This is the first I’m hearing of this!

Also...I did not like the art in Academy X either (or New Mutants before it). It was serviceable but not noteworthy in any way.
    Last edited by MYCMTSC; 04-20-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post

Also...I did not like the art in Academy X either (or New Mutants before it). It was serviceable but not noteworthy in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/stat...98232853446656

This may be important to how Anole got suddenly cast as the traitor. Apparently Wind Dancer was supposed to be used here and in the follow-up Uncanny arc but it took up too much story to bring her in and they used someone else in that role. The one plot that bridges these is the vaccine. My hunch is that Wind Dancer, or Renascance as she goes by now, was supposed to be the thief.
    It was just speculation of what role Sofia was supposed to play in Disassembled and the current Uncanny arc

Thank god she wasn't.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I'm speaking more so in regards to the 2003 New Mutants series that introduced many of the characters than the later Academy X. If that series had a single panel aside from covers that wasn't awful I must have missed it somehow. Academy X admittedly did seriously better in the art department, but very little of the narrative carried over into Kyle/Yost's run to the point that it's largely an unnecessary read for research purposes. Kyle/Yost is when they actually start to have some form of significant impact to the X-Men as a whole, if all you do for research is look over those issues I wouldn't blame you for not registering who Wind Dancer is.

As for researching minor/background appearances, yeah. That's probably what he did. They've been minor, background characters for most of their existence. Their minimal roles are where they've made the majority of their appearances. Outside looking in there isn't a lot of required reading that wouldn't be covered by a very quick skimming of a wikipedia article.

I think he's been doing fine with who he's working with. In any case, I can forgive slightly or even significantly off characterization for the sake of a well made comic. Which honestly NextGen is, it's just a Glob Herman comic.
    If they’ve had the majority of background appearances and cameos, isn’t that more reason for them to get their characterization? How is your only required reading like 26-something issues and you can’t get a simple power or design right? Quick skimming is probably how we got the infamous “Vic” page or the entire New X-Men subplot in Disassembled that made no sense half the time. Nextgen may be a Glob comic, but Anole and Armor are major characters getting almost as much page time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    It was just speculation of what role Sofia was supposed to play in Disassembled and the current Uncanny arc
    Aww, thanks. Yeah glad she was dropped. Sofia keeps dodging bullets (and remaining in obscurity). I’m sure she would’ve ended up dying, too.

That whole vial plot point was so generic and random in context of the story and for Anole and just wasn’t worth the page time. Uncanny has just been a MESS and I don’t know who is largely responsible for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post

Those first 13 issues on New Mutants had the WORST luck with artists. To paraphrase Defillipis, they had something like 7 artists in 13 issues for various reasons. The only art I recall being really bad during their term on Academy X, though, was that issue that had to be redone at the 11th hour because Anole's suicide plot was (thankfully) nixed. I quite liked Michael Ryan's work during that run; even picked up a couple of pages from it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwhra3NhpeL

click if you DO NOT fear death
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwhra3NhpeL

click if you DO NOT fear death
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh glob herman R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn