I am looking at some of the debates around HoX/PoX and I am realizing that the one thing I love most about the X-Men is how it gets everyone discussing the actual ramifications of what is happening to the X-Men. Groups like the Avengers and Fantastic Four are all about being heroes, the X-Men are about being a people. X-Men comics even when they are outrageous action have a layer of politics in almost every issue. Even when dealing with some of their space missions there is politics involved in the X-Men, except maybe when they fight the brood, those guys are just super scary aliens that like to use mutants as breeding hosts for their eggs.

But overall the X-books are political and they always have been.
1. Magneto and the Brotherhood - represent mutant freedom fighting and extremism
2. Hellfire Club - represents mutants trying to fight the humans through economic and political corruption

Even the enemies of the X-Men play politics more so than most of the other villains of other books. This is why there are often times the X-Men and their enemies even end up on the same side quite a bit. I even go back to when the X-Men and Hellfire Club were fighting in Central Park and they all end up getting attacked by Nimrod and are forced to ally together to take Nimrod down. At the end of the conflict Tessa makes an agreement with Storm to allow the X-men to stay in the Hellfire Club headquarters to recover from the battle and to avoid detection by the local police. This ended up leading to a later point where Tessa and Emma asked Storm and Magneto to join the Hellfire Club and represent the X-men at meetings.