Page 76 of 137 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 2043

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I stand by my analogy. As I said in my preface, it DOESN'T MATTER if they're not considered "iconic" in the same way. If it was something writers were aware fans are invested in enough to make the nod, then there's no excuse for using it as an empty bit of fanservice without addressing WHY the fans wanted to see it.
    Fair enough, but I still stand by my point; it's a bad analogy. Hellion and Laura's relationship was given nowhere near the same level of development or writing. Heck, based on where things left off, it would make perfect sense for them to ignore each other if they were in the same room, which cannot be said about Spider-Man and MJ if they were in that same room, due to the years of build up they've had over the franchise. Frankly, and I will admit that this is somewhat hyperbolic, Hellion and X-23's being the room and not saying anything to each other would be comparable to Colossus and Zsaji doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by XCE View Post
    The very fact that you recognize that the fan reaction would have been very different if it was Peter and MJ should've told you that it's a bad comparison. Hellion and Laura never even got to the point where they were in an actual relationship. At this point, it seems like there's maybe a handful of people who are still invested in the pairing as a result of reading and writing a bit too much fanfiction back in the day, the rest are either indifferent, actively dislike it, or don't even know who Hellion is because he's been all but gone from the X-books for almost a decade.
    Having read the stuff, I don't get what was so great about the relationship in the first place; it wasn't very well developed, didn't really do any of the characters any real favors, and, frankly, never made much sense in the first place. I'd buy X-23 having a crush on him after saving her bacon, but it's never explained why he did, which is pretty darn important to know for the story to work. Heck, it falling apart in the X-23 solo honestly made a lot of sense, given what lead up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Hellion clearly wasn't particularly invested in their "relationship" (until Liu made him a stalker) since he was trying to pick up girls in X-Force.
    Yeah, I think that scene was a mistake if the writers were trying to get them together (it was the same writers, too); it left me wondering: "what does she see in this guy?" which is the question the readers should not be having. (I will grant that neither of them were attached at the moment, but still, it's not a good look.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    He didn't have dignity the last two times he died
    Yeah, if Loa couldn’t even get a word before being dead and Blindfold didn’t even have the correct powerset, Elixir is probably gonna just get shot or something especially because it’ll contradict Bunn.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I might've missed specific dating. It's stated in Second Coming that it's been a year since Messiah Complex. And during Xavier Legacy it was stated that it's been three months since Secret Invasion (which comes after the move to SF). The whole Divided We Stand period was really vague. During DWS, Scott and Emma go on a two week vacation and after that immediately move to SF, but some other stories make it seem weird if only such a short time had passed.
    I got something from Divided We Stand during that infamous Anole and Northstar story:

damn. three months? that’s probably just an error though........maybe

https://twitter.com/aiptcomics/statu...532878341?s=21

oopsies. it might be too late to actually ask questions but at least this #XMENMONDAY is a little more new x-men focused. could that possibly getting gorgeous pepe larraz/rb silva preview art of some of the kids? most likely not :’)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    https://twitter.com/aiptcomics/statu...532878341?s=21

oopsies. it might be too late to actually ask questions but at least this #XMENMONDAY is a little more new x-men focused. could that possibly getting gorgeous pepe larraz/rb silva preview art of some of the kids? most likely not :’)
    Honestly, I'm skeptical we'll ever see the rest of the NXM as more than wallpaper and occasional cannon fodder. Certainly not until we get a writing and editorial staff who grew up on them and decide to make use of them for nostalgia.

That said, I did put in my $0.02 on the Tweet that Laura is overdue for a calling out by the rest of the crew for being a crappy friend, and sort of waving her "honorary adult" status in their face by dismissing them as kids and students.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Honestly, I'm skeptical we'll ever see the rest of the NXM as more than wallpaper and occasional cannon fodder. Certainly not until we get a writing and editorial staff who grew up on them and decide to make use of them for nostalgia.

That said, I did put in my $0.02 on the Tweet that Laura is overdue for a calling out by the rest of the crew for being a crappy friend, and sort of waving her "honorary adult" status in their face by dismissing them as kids and students.
    I don’t doubt they’ll get little more than an occasional line or two and some cool shots in huge group fights during the HiX-era, but I’m hoping some of the new creative teams work some of them into titles. Especially since this is supposed to be an era all about breaking the nostalgia wheel. I wouldn’t be surprised if Armor or the Cuckoos got a supporting role again.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I don't think constantly inquiring about the status of the NXM is increasing the chances of any of them having more meaningful roles. It only comes across as a lot of noise coming from a small number of "potential" readers. It's more annoying than it is effective. I'd say Nostalgia would be a safe bet, but at this point we're overdue for any benefit from it.

Cooling it for a while probably wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 06-30-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

We've had writers who want to tell stories about these kids

They just get shot down

“it also features great insight into fan culture and eXpectations. I'm sure some folks will hate it, but I like it! ��”

Worst but also most realest case scenario: they just pick the “I want Hellion/Surge/etc etc” and “how old are they/how are they still students” questions and I have to suffer through JDW telling the fans that there can’t be 183737 X-Men on the team at the same time and there just isn’t space right now. but some will “show up in the future.”

Best case scenario: anything else. please, Mr White.

"but it also features great insight into fan culture and eXpectations"

I look forward to seeing them whine about fans wanting anything at all ever for any reason.

They just get shot down
    Yup. And even I'd say by now it's probably far too late to pick up with those characters in a new book.

Every time a new X-Kid book failed to catch on, it got cited as more proof that no one wanted to read about younger classes of X-Men. But just because characters are new doesn't mean they're interchangeable, and Marvel squandered the narrative momentum built up by the NXM's storyline while failing to get that. But why nurture new IP when you can always publish another Wolverine book?

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    "but it also features great insight into fan culture and eXpectations"

I look forward to seeing them whine about fans wanting anything at all ever for any reason.
    It probably won't be that bad. Maybe we'll get some insight into how a slate of titles actually gets planned out.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 06-30-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

They just get shot down
    A nostalgic editor could probably go a long way. That enough is true, but if the goal is to endear the current folk in charge there isn't a lot that can be done. I don't think any resurgence in the foreseeable future will be due to fans on the internet. If it happens it'll be when no one expects it. Or when whoever is cast in the Marvel Studio's films age out, and are replaced by newer X-Men characters.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I don't think constantly inquiring about the status of the NXM is increasing the chances of any of them having more meaningful roles. It only comes across as a lot of noise coming from a small number of "potential" readers. It's more annoying than it is effective. I'd say Nostalgia would be a safe bet, but at this point we're overdue for any benefit from it.

Cooling it for a while probably wouldn't hurt.
    I don’t quite agree with the total cool off approach but I’m hopelessly and dangerously optimistic. I would even attribute constantly poking the X-Editorial at least got us their role in Disassembled. While that isn’t really what we wanted, we know it worked. Plus, the New X-Men have had pretty important roles in Age of X-Man.

But I wish NXM fans would switch up with some variety in their questions if they were gonna try and reach out.

"I'm eXcited for people to read tomorrow's #XMenMonday. Not only is this one made specifically for die-hard #XMen fans (what with the Rictor and Maggott talk), but it also features great insight into fan culture and eXpectations. I'm sure some folks will hate it, but I like it!"

It sounds like they're going to drag us or mock our hopes & expectations as unrealistic. We've heard it before. Bracing for the worst.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...te-characters/

AiPT!: Regarding the young X-Men characters, Facundo Neiras (@facuneiras) asked if you prefer they have their own team or that some of them be assigned to the “main” X-Men teams?

Jordan: I don’t think there is a good answer for this. I think I would prefer them having their own team, but I don’t know that it would sell enough to keep it going at which point they have their own team no one is telling stories about. Regardless, everything is about to change, so… who knows what will happen! Well, I mean, I know. But I am not telling yet.
    AiPT!: Well, speaking of those various faves, Nir Revel (@revel_nir) asked what’s a healthy way for fans to try and raise awareness or try and get more attention to characters that they love? Like Surge, for example.

Jordan: I am not sure how to answer this because I am not REALLY sure what I am being asked. How to raise awareness of the character for who? If you mean how to raise awareness among fandom… I don’t think I am the right person to ask. X-Men fandom has its own feel and rules and cliques and ins and outs. If you mean raise awareness with creators… I would say just be respectful when you bring up the characters and try to talk to them about what their thoughts are on them, but know that there is every chance they will say they don’t care for that character or have a different take on them than you do, and know that that is not a personal affront to you or to the character. Honestly, I think talking about what you love and why is always a good thing, it’s when it turns negative that it’s not productive–calls of not buying anything until so-and-so appears or whatnot.
    AiPT!: Phoenix Egg (@thePhoenixEgg) wanted to know why there isn’t stronger emphasis on using lesser-known characters. Writers want to use the A-List, but surely an editor can say “pick a C-lister you like and build them up.” Phoenix Egg said isn’t the point of the comics, these days more than ever before, to generate new ideas?

Jordan: I am kind of confused by the question. We’re wrapping up a huge storyline that centered around X-Man. Glob Herman was prominently featured in four different titles in the last year. Blob just had a romance plot. In X-Men Gold, you had the new Pyro and Ink. X-Men Blue had Jimmy and Bloodstorm. Generation X featured lots of obscure characters.

Obviously, your mileage may vary regarding whether you think we’ve successfully built the characters up, but I am kind of surprised to hear you feel people have not been trying to. Pretty much every writer who has worked on X-Men over the last 10 years (and more, really) has used more minor characters, but that’s the downside of having 1,742 X-Men–there are so many that very few people love the same obscure ones. Looking back over the last decade of X-Books, it seems to me the character who has most successfully gone from relative obscurity to appearing in comics regularly is Quentin Quire. He’s been pretty regularly featured since Schism. Other than him, characters come and go in waves–a writer will bring them in, use them a bunch, maybe they will appear in another series or two… and then they will fade back into the background as someone else comes forward.

Let’s look at a hypothetical. Let’s say upcoming WRITER A wants to use… I don’t know, Bliss and her gross tongue situation. So they are making Bliss an interesting character such that you don’t even care how gross she is by their end of their run. Then WRITER B is going to come onto the series next… and WRITER B would want to use like… Mercury. Should I go, “Actually, please don’t use them, we really need to keep focus on Bliss”? And yeah, you can say “why don’t they use both?” OK, so then WRITER B uses both Bliss AND Mercury. Now here comes WRITER C who really wants to bring back Icarus. NOW can I let them not use Mercury and Bliss? Because, look… as good as writers A & B are, I am skeptical that they will have written a Bliss that has the popularity of Rogue or Iceman, let alone Wolverine or Cyclops.

Which is all to say we DO use obscure mutants and will continue to do so… but if it was that easy to get them to catch on, they wouldn’t be obscure.
    If only.....