Page 63 of 123 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member sublimeclown's Avatar

I have such mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think it's great that Betsy is leading a team and given more of a spotlight. But on the other, I really love Betsy as the stealthy, psychic ninja. That's what made me fall in love with her character. I know the body swap was problematic for a lot of reasons, and it makes sense that they've put her in her original body, but I've never been a big fan of all the Otherworld stuff. I don't mind her being Captain Britain for a little while (like in Uncanny X-Force), but it's hard to not identify her with the name Psylocke. And now Kwannon is taking that name on top of everything.

I also wonder what this means for the MCU. Will they introduce Kwannon as Psylocke from the get-go to allow for diversity in the lineup without the problematic race issues? Will Betsy be introduced as Captain Britain instead of Brian?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    Yaass!!
    Betsy is becoming what I really want her to be. The Knight of the Realm - Warrior Princess from Otherworld.
    I like the costume. It does give a little "weight" from the armor parts but I still think Betsy still can fight hand to hand very well in it. I also like Mahmud gave her face a different look from what we've seen before. Bigger eyes, lips and hairstyle.
    I'm glad that she's now "elevated" to a new status, a leader and explore what's been her birthright - the Otherworld with all the case of magic and stuff. As for the team, Jubes - Rogue & Gambit and Rictor excites me. Apocalypse kinda confuses me. Why would he join the group and follow Betsy? The team could use another hero or two from Britain tho.

as for Kwannon..
    I'm baffled yet it is predictable that Marvel is truly making her Psylocke 2.0.
    They dumped all Betsy's attributes; costume, looks, power, power signature and now Betsy's code name. This can only work if they have some interaction and Kwannon getting the blessed from Betsy to use her codename.
    Then again, why would Kwannon want to use Betsy's codename? She called herself Revanche before and knew Psylocke is Betsy Braddock. Is she trying to live up to Betsy's legacy?
    I really hope someday Kwannon get's her own identity that separate her from Betsy. But for now... at least please give the girl a new costume, not Jim Lee ones.
    This whole ordeal feels like an insult not only to Betsy-Psylocke fans but also an insult to Kwannon as a character.
    Hear out Marvel, the butterfly signature is Betsy's, give Kwannon other signature telepathic power.
    Yeah, this is basically what i’m conflicted about.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Since they were never consistent with Psylockes hair. I hope they give Kwannon black hair. Sorry not sorry. All things purple belong to Betsy lol Just my opinion.
    I completely agree.

Yes, the Psylocke name has long been associated with Betsy, but at this time she is becoming Captain Britain.

"Revanche" basically means "Revenge"...so I am not sure that would be the most constructive name to further develop Kwannon now.
    Last edited by Souther; 07-22-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Souther View Post
    "Revanche" basically means "Revenge"...so I am not sure that would be the most constructive name to further develop Kwannon now.
    LOL...the premise of her book is about her seeking revenge

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    LOL...the premise of her book is about her seeking revenge
    I can see why it seems that way, without context or any names, although not against Betsy (I hope).

But the character wouldn't start by calling herself that from page one, I'd think.

In any case, I imagine that the question of her identity and motivation will be developed in Fallen Angels.
    Last edited by Souther; 07-22-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    Remember that this gives Betsy an even higher chance for having a prominent role in the MCU, or at least showing up in the MCU in general. Whether it's as Captain Britain or Psylocke. I'm pumped.
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimeclown View Post
    I have such mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think it's great that Betsy is leading a team and given more of a spotlight. But on the other, I really love Betsy as the stealthy, psychic ninja. That's what made me fall in love with her character. I know the body swap was problematic for a lot of reasons, and it makes sense that they've put her in her original body, but I've never been a big fan of all the Otherworld stuff. I don't mind her being Captain Britain for a little while (like in Uncanny X-Force), but it's hard to not identify her with the name Psylocke. And now Kwannon is taking that name on top of everything.

I also wonder what this means for the MCU. Will they introduce Kwannon as Psylocke from the get-go to allow for diversity in the lineup without the problematic race issues? Will Betsy be introduced as Captain Britain instead of Brian?

Yes! I think this changes have a lot to do with her possible future in the MCU. They can milk both cows without the race appropriation polemics. I'm ok with that.

British Betsy could be played by so many great actresses that would look amazing with lavender hair: Felicity Jones, Rosamund Pike, Claire Foy, Kate Beckinsale, Alice Eve, Daisy Ridley, Sienna Miller, Gemma Arterton, Rachel Weisz (off the table now)...

And I'm sure there are many amazing gorgeous Japanese actresses that could play Kwannon. Shioli Kutsuna for exemple!
    A picture would last longer darling...

Ultimate Member

Betsy will be Psylocke again, about as soon as Hickman leaves or this version of Excalibur ends...whenever that is...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Betsy will be Psylocke again, about as soon as Hickman leaves or this version of Excalibur ends...whenever that is...
    Just like she was going back to the Asian body, eh? Join in the joy, Logan!

Ultimate Member

Like I said she'll be Psylocke again, and never say never...

Just like you said they would do nothing with the body changes for both characters

I'm really loving the fanart coming with this look.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Just like you said they would do nothing with the body changes for both characters
    I never said never, only that they hadn't at the time and it wasn't looking promising, and in the end Betsy will be back to Psylocke...

There is a very real chance that Betsy never goes by Psylocke again. Even though the name is hers ,people strongly associate the name with period that she was a ninja and asian. And clearly at least to me Marvel is still pushing that branding now with another character .After her run as Captain Britain ends (If it does end). It seems going forward into something brand new will be strong option. And people keep throwing out names that are strong option I think "Monarch" which means ruler and type of butterfly is pretty perfect. I think it is 50/50 chance.

Hell, why not just call her Butterfly?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

What excites me the most: All characters strong enough to establish a legacy remained a focus for marvel. Carol had an iconic look and story as ms marvel and had it deconstructed in favor of her rather iconic run as cap marvel.

Hulk, halkeye, wolverine, thor, ironman, capt america... marvel has never failed any of them by passing their titles on to new diverse characters? This is a pattern of success within the company.