Page 110 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 1725
  1. #1636
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,374

    Default

    It would depend on when it happened, if it happened at the end of Hickman's run then the Five might not have that ability anymore...

    And Kwannon and Betsy are linked, a lot like Maddy and Jean...

  2. #1637
    Astonishing Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,103

    Default

    FA is very good.

    Excalibur is going to have to step it up. They are premiering "Kwannon" with a bang, and I say that as someone who despised the retcon that created her from day one. This is going to work.

  3. #1638
    Incredible Member MetalPsyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    682

    Default

    I've read FA #1 and I think it's good. They finally fleshed out Kwannon's background and the tone screams X-Force for me.
    While I like the book I just can't help to think that Marvel just had to go "there" when fleshing out Kwannon.

    Now we know why the Butterfly aura is disappearing from Betsy. Marvel is giving Kwannon the full fledge butterfly treatment, from tattoo, background stories till the butterfly metaphor for the character.
    We've been identifying Betsy as the butterfly for years, and now Marvel is giving it fully to Kwannon.
    Not to mention, she just had to have the precog vision which was exclusive to Betsy (before and after the bodyswap).

    I'm not trying to rain on Kwannon's fans parade, but it's just a pity Marvel had to take some aspects of Betsy's core character in defining Kwannon.
    As for the picking up the name Psylocke, I just don't buy her reasoning. The name "Kwannon" itself seems to be given to her (implicitly saying she has a real japanese name). The background story and the meaning of the name seems very fitting (even it's kinda contradictary) to her character.

  4. #1639
    Fantastic Member RD155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Can someone to the best of their abilities try to explain the situation between Kwannon and Betsy? Like their connection and back stories with each other. I understand it’s probably a bit convoluted like everything else in comics lol. I have general understanding of it but it’s still confusing.

  5. #1640
    Mighty Member Veitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,415

    Default

    I read Fallen Angels and... Mmmmmm I'm undecided about how I feel about this Kwannon/Elizabeth situation.

  6. #1641
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Can someone to the best of their abilities try to explain the situation between Kwannon and Betsy? Like their connection and back stories with each other. I understand it’s probably a bit convoluted like everything else in comics lol. I have general understanding of it but it’s still confusing.
    It is convoluted and Im not sure it will even matter going forward as Kwannon's backstory is being fleshed out and their history might be retconned/streamlined. You may want to read Kwannon's biography at Uncanny X-men.net which is rather short:

    https://uncannyxmen.net/characters/revanche/biography

  7. #1642
    Fantastic Member RD155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It is convoluted and Im not sure it will even matter going forward as Kwannon's backstory is being fleshed out and their history might be retconned/streamlined. You may want to read Kwannon's biography at Uncanny X-men.net which is rather short:

    https://uncannyxmen.net/characters/revanche/biography
    Thanks. That was my concern with picking up Fallen angels today. Was worried that I would Be lost since I have a very limited understanding of the Betsy/Kwannon relationship. From what you’re saying it sounds like they are writing this to bring on new readers so I shouldn’t be too lost

  8. #1643
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Thanks. That was my concern with picking up Fallen angels today. Was worried that I would Be lost since I have a very limited understanding of the Betsy/Kwannon relationship. From what you’re saying it sounds like they are writing this to bring on new readers so I shouldn’t be too lost
    The thing is Kwannon was a retcon and it didnt make sense back then. I think Marvel is fleshing her out now and simplifying things in order to make sense of things for where the characters are now. The basic gist that you need to get is that there was a body swap and Kwannon died in Betsy's body. FF 25 years and Betsy dies but in death creates a new body based on the imagery of her original one from beyond the grave powered by soul energy. Kwannon mysteriously wakes up in the "dead" body and this is where we find them a year later in Dawn of X. Fallen Angels and possibly Excalibur will fill in the gaps but thats the most distilled version of things you need to understand

  9. #1644
    Fantastic Member RD155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The thing is Kwannon was a retcon and it didnt make sense back then. I think Marvel is fleshing her out now and simplifying things in order to make sense of things for where the characters are now. The basic gist that you need to get is that there was a body swap and Kwannon died in Betsy's body. FF 25 years and Betsy dies but in death creates a new body based on the imagery of her original one from beyond the grave powered by soul energy. Kwannon mysteriously wakes up in the "dead" body and this is where we find them a year later in Dawn of X. Fallen Angels and possibly Excalibur will fill in the gaps but thats the most distilled version of things you need to understand
    Much credit to you for even attempting to make sense of that lol. Thanks. Wife hit up the comic shop and picked up X-men and Fallen angels today so I’ll have to wait til later before reading it. Apparently she disliked X-men but really enjoyed Fallen Angels which is actually what I’ve been hearing a lot of today...

  10. #1645
    Mighty Member CGAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Although I disagree with some of their approach. I do think this is the best time to pull the trigger and stick to what they want to establish moving forward.
    I didnt really like 'No Name Psy' attitude and thoughts towards Betsy BUT i'm giving the writers the first arc to delve into it. I hope Tini Howard starts elevating Betsy as much as BEH is elevating "Kwannon".
    New Mutants [01] : Reveiw and Spoilers https://youtu.be/VFGvoMLl3zU

    Excalibur [01] : Review and Spoilers https://youtu.be/-p64QHBVO_c

    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/ckgarcia07

    IG: http://www.instagram.com/chrismonsoon

  11. #1646
    Mighty Member Veitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Although I disagree with some of their approach. I do think this is the best time to pull the trigger and stick to what they want to establish moving forward.
    I didnt really like 'No Name Psy' attitude and thoughts towards Betsy BUT i'm giving the writers the first arc to delve into it. I hope Tini Howard starts elevating Betsy as much as BEH is elevating "Kwannon".
    Exactly. I didn't like the subtle "meh here's Braddock" vibe going on. Another thing I didn't like os Kwannon trying to school X and Nate. Gurl you've been dead for decades while this guys were fighting wars.

  12. #1647
    Astonishing Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,103

    Default

    I can’t blame Kwannon/Psylocke/whoever for having resentment towards Betsy. Her body was taken over and part of her was stuck riding along for years. That’s not Betsy’s fault but it’s what happened.

  13. #1648
    Mighty Member mugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I can’t blame Kwannon/Psylocke/whoever for having resentment towards Betsy. Her body was taken over and part of her was stuck riding along for years. That’s not Betsy’s fault but it’s what happened.
    That was Kwannon's lover's fault.
    And he did it for Kwannon.
    If anything it was Betsy's body that was stolen, not the opposite.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

  14. #1649
    Astonishing Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,103

    Default

    We all know that, yes. But that doesn’t change the associative guilt Betsy would naturally feel, or the resentment Psylocke naturally feels.

  15. #1650
    Focused Totality Psycwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cavern X
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    I love the way the two women are being depicted in their separate titles. Psylocke is getting the bang with loads of backstory and her quest is set on revenge. Violent and cathartic which goes with hostility and resentment she has.

    Betsy's is focused on self and family. Re-integrating herself to a life and legacy that she has, for the most part, forgotten or left behind. I'm obviously more prone to Betsy's development because she's the fave but I'm also into the whole slow and steady pace they're giving the women before reconciliation.

    I also just realized that Excalibur #2 is coming out next week! I can't wait to see the journey between her porting out of Avalon and her showing up on Krakoa. I also wonder if Howard is going to delve into how/why the amulet showed up? Iirc I don't think Brian has used or needed the amulet for quite some time. And I wonder if they'll be using Betsy to try and keep "Jamie" under control. Girl has a lot going on with becoming CB, Avalon under siege, Poccy and his machinations, going to have to protect Rogue and the rise of magic mutants. She might lose her sanity.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •