Page 65 of 96 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post

I honestly don't know where you're getting this idea about Marvel Studios. They will bet on new names, sure, but look at some of their recent announcements: Jane Foster as Thor, Yelena Belova as Black Widow, Kate Bishop as Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk. Does that really sound like a company that's stepping away from derivative names to you?
    No, but all those names have something about them that set them apart; either because the previous characters story is done, or because they will have the previously named character in the film with them to hand over the baton then bugger off. The Avengers isnt going anywhere, Avengers 4/5/6 will be coming soon enough.

With Young Avengers, or Dark Avengers or Secret Avengers - those titles wouldnt work as film titles because they're too limiting and they sound too corny. I might be wrong, full wrong, but I dont see the MCU wanting to go in that direction with a new group, and with Young especially - actors age, and you cant always know how fast etc. and so that could lead to some pretty awkward youths if they wanted a franchise - even the comics these characters have left the name behind and would be odd to see in a book calling them Young Avnegers when younger characters already exist and have been full Avengers!

Young Avengers is more of your marketing gimmick, but not the name of the show/film.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Endgame was Avengers 4.

And yeah, honestly, if the YAs were reunited with the original lineup in the comics, they should use the New Avengers brand. Ewing even set it up by having Wiccan take ownership of that name! Apart from Cassie, they're not so young any more.

And that's also why the Champions brand would make more sense for the MCU. Actors would age out of a Young team fast, considering any sequel would likely be three years after the first film. Heck, in hindsight, considering the plot of seasons 2 and 3, the Young Justice cartoon should've had a different name. Most of The Team (which isn't even called Young Justice) aren't so young any more after two timeskips! Needless to say the MCU will run into the same problem.

I also think they should call any future villain team Thunderbolts instead of Dark Avengers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I honestly don't think the "young" part of the "Young Avengers" name would be an issue. They'll always be the Young Avengers even if they aren't youths, because they're significantly younger than the OG Avengers. I don't think it would be much of a struggle for audiences.

And, if they cast actors that play young as convincingly as Tom Holland does, they could probably get through the full sequence of Young Avengers projects, a movie trilogy, D+ series or whatever, before that would even become an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I also think they should call any future villain team Thunderbolts instead of Dark Avengers.
    I'd only want them to be called the Thunderbolts if they're the Thunderbolts. Zemo, Moonstone, Songbird.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    No, but all those names have something about them that set them apart; either because the previous characters story is done, or because they will have the previously named character in the film with them to hand over the baton then bugger off. The Avengers isnt going anywhere, Avengers 4/5/6 will be coming soon enough.
    That doesn't apply to Ms. Marvel. Captain Marvel was JUST introduced in the MCU and they are ALREADY planning a derivative franchise for her. They even had the Hala star on the Ms. Marvel logo, so you know they'll be connected and running as active heroes at the same time in the MCU. They literally didn't even wait a single year to capitalize on the Captain Marvel name, whereas the Avengers franchise is already quite established and will be at least a decade old by the time we get any YA-related content in the MCU. If anything, the existence of Ms. Marvel just evidences they would be ok with doing the Young Avengers too, which actually feels more justified to happen now that the Avengers have reached the peak of their cinematic prominence and could probably use a new direction for the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I honestly don't think the "young" part of the "Young Avengers" name would be an issue. They'll always be the Young Avengers even if they aren't youths, because they're significantly younger than the OG Avengers. I don't think it would be much of a struggle for audiences.

And, if they cast actors that play young as convincingly as Tom Holland does, they could probably get through the full sequence of Young Avengers projects, a movie trilogy, D+ series or whatever, before that would even become an issue.
    I agree. AND when that becomes an issue, they could make the characters graduate to a New Avengers team, leaving the Young Avengers as a name for the next generation of younger heroes. And that's mostly a live-action problem. Young Avengers is still very much usable for many, maaaany years in other media such as comics, animation, video games, etc, since the characters don't age as fast there. They've barely scratched the surface of what they can do with this franchise. I mean, they only ever had two ongoing books, and all of them are still fairly young. They're in no need of a rebranding right now, except for some members needing new codenames.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-30-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

i think calling anything 'Young' something is just patronising as they age up. Now they are all (bar Cassie) seen to be adults, if I was them, I'd hate the name because I wouldnt want to be seen as the Young whatever anymore because I'm a grown up damnit! Which the comics have touched on several times, and in a visual film or tv series in live action, would look odd on top.

For a film series, you'd want to go with Champions IMO, while if they went cartoon or TV series, I'd actually go with Avengers Academy, and set it a training school so your get you setting, typical teen drama and can still feature adult characters as the teachers.

As for Ms Marvel, I think we're talking at cross purposes. I dont believe Marvel shouldnt cash in on brand names, I just dont believe that calling anything a derivative of that brand, be it Young, Dark, Secret or whatever, is a good move for a wider audience. It pigeon holes and boxes characters up too much in a corny way. Ms Marvel is a slight exception, because the story there is about her wanting to live up to a name and being inspired by it. If she was called 'Young Marvel,' or if they call Yelena 'Dark Black Widow' I'd be saying the same thing as I am about Young Avengers.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

I do wonder if the fact that Marvel is technically licensing the Champions name for use in the comics would complicate it's chances of reaching the films.

I do wonder if the fact that Marvel is technically licensing the Champions name for use in the comics would complicate it's chances of reaching the films.
    They reference the Champions multiple times in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Don't see how it be any different for the movies.

Ultimate Member

As long as none of the 'Young' Avengers have gray hair or liver spots, I'm fine with them calling themselves 'Young' well into their thirties. Not every 'young' person is a teenager!

Quote Originally Posted by Stature View Post
    They reference the Champions multiple times in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Don't see how it be any different for the movies.
    There is a difference between names being mentioned and names being used as a title of a product, though. The former is usually less complicated than the latter due to trademark stuff. One notorious example of that is how DC could use the Captain Marvel name in their stories for many years, but they couldn't actually publish a book titled Captain Marvel. So with the Champions, I guess it would come down to what exactly is the deal with their trademark and how free Marvel is to use it outside of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As long as none of the 'Young' Avengers have gray hair or liver spots, I'm fine with them calling themselves 'Young' well into their thirties. Not every 'young' person is a teenager!
    That's what I keep saying. I will never get this mindset that ''Young'' is somehow demeaning and offensive to a bunch of characters in their late teens to early twenties. They are young, for all intents and purposes. And now that Peter Parker has been retconned into being in his mid-twenties, we're probably gonna get the young adult characters stuck in that younger range (maybe even retconned into being younger) for a long time too, 'cause it would be weird if they were older than him. If anything, that just means they have more time to capitalize on that Young Adult genre.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-30-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    That's what I keep saying. I will never get this mindset that ''Young'' is somehow demeaning and offensive to a bunch of characters in their late teens to early twenties. They are young, for all intents and purposes. And now that Peter Parker has been retconned into being in his mid-twenties, we're probably gonna get the young adult characters stuck in that younger range (maybe even retconned into being younger) for a long time too, 'cause it would be weird if they were older than him. If anything, that just means they have more time to capitalize on that Young Adult genre.
    Steve and Tony and Janet and Hank and Bruce have been and are going to remain generically 30-something to 40-something until the heat death of the universe, so I'm fine with Billy, Teddy, Kate, Eli, Tommy and Cassie remaining late teens, early 20's for another decade or two. Aging works differently in the Marvel Universe.

Thor just laughs at all this aging nonsense, 'cause he doesn't play that game on any time scale that humans would recognize.

They probably just can't use it for tabletop gaming. So they wouldn't be able to adapt Warriors of the Weird (issues 25-27) as a Dungeons and Dragons clone for example.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

B&W version of the group shot from Marvel Comics #1000:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B10hI2hHF6P/

So, this is some interesting news...
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/wand...as-son-wiccan/
    tumblr_7b31c5cff541b49e34b563ff25189d0b_d9c81c9d_640.jpg
    I hope they also bring Tommy along though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticomat View Post
    So, this is some interesting news...
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/wand...as-son-wiccan/
    tumblr_7b31c5cff541b49e34b563ff25189d0b_d9c81c9d_640.jpg
    I hope they also bring Tommy along though.
    People say WGTC isn't really trustable. But I'm glad there are is at least one rumor about it lool.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    People say WGTC isn't really trustable. But I'm glad there are is at least one rumor about it lool.
    WGTC has definitely had a lot of misses, but they were also surprisingly right about a She-Hulk TV show, which literally no one else was reporting on before D23, so who knows. They have also reported on the Young Avengers getting a movie and a TV show on Disney+.

Oh, and the source who claimed MAC was getting a solo show on Disney+ (still not sure if I'm buying that) posted this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/The_GWW/status/1166826512261308422

I know how easy it is to make up stuff on the internet on this day and age, but there have been just so many rumors coming from different sources about the YA in the MCU. It's really hard to not get your hopes up.