Page 6 of 96 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Liefeld is pretty gracious in glossing over the apparent fact that Marvel took his and Valentino's pitch for Young Avengers and created the same team under a different name without crediting them. But I guess that's the work-for-hire life.

Edit: Apparently at his (now-defunct) blog, Tom Brevoort claimed that work on New Warriors was already underway and it just happened to have almost the same cast as Liefeld/Valentino's "Young Avengers." I'm not sure that sounds plausible to me, but maybe Marvel editorial already had given out some ideas about which characters it wanted to use.
    Last edited by gurkle; 01-18-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On a corporate level I'm not sure if they would want something that would probably be aimed at the same kind of audience Marvel Rising is, not that I would really want current Marvel Animation to touch the Young Avengers anyways.
    Would a Young Avengers animation in the molds of Young Justice be aimed at the same audience as Marvel Rising, though? I actually never watched either DC productions so I could be wrong, but I get the impression Marvel Rising seems to be more of a DC Superhero Girls franchise, while Marvel doesn't really have anything truly equivalent to Young Justice, as in, the kind of animation that appeals to an older following as well for being a bit more mature.

I keep hoping that Marvel will step up their animation game after Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse. All their animations should look as good as that.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Liefeld is pretty gracious in glossing over the apparent fact that Marvel took his and Valentino's pitch for Young Avengers and created the same team under a different name without crediting them. But I guess that's the work-for-hire life.

Edit: Apparently at his (now-defunct) blog, Tom Brevoort claimed that work on New Warriors was already underway and it just happened to have almost the same cast as Liefeld/Valentino's "Young Avengers." I'm not sure that sounds plausible to me, but maybe Marvel editorial already had given out some ideas about which characters it wanted to use.
    That is one heck of a coincidence, if Brevoort is telling the truth.

Anyway, it's amusing to me how Namorita seemed to be the big reason why Liefeld pitched these Young Avengers. It kinda makes me want her to be a Young Avenger in the current comics even more.

They should just use her somewhere, period. She was resurrected (by time displacement) in DnA's Nova. The last New Warriors series was after that, and treated her as missing. Her only appearance since is a few months ago in Fantastic Four. There's a few plotholes needing resolving regarding her... one, how did she get back from space after Richard Rider rescued her? Two, why couldn't Water Snake find her? Three, where has she been since then? Four, why isn't she in contact with Namor? I swear editors keep forgetting that she was ever brought back sometimes.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I made a huge concept for how I'd do a Young Avengers animated series and I actually did have Namora join the team later on since she can technically count as a legacy character/

Namora is a separate character. Namorita is actually her clone (as is Water Snake, I think?).
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I meant to say Namorita actually.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I just wish there was a Namorella to make things even more confusing.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Would a Young Avengers animation in the molds of Young Justice be aimed at the same audience as Marvel Rising, though? I actually never watched either DC productions so I could be wrong, but I get the impression Marvel Rising seems to be more of a DC Superhero Girls franchise, while Marvel doesn't really have anything truly equivalent to Young Justice, as in, the kind of animation that appeals to an older following as well for being a bit more mature.
    In practice I'd say Marvel Rising is like a mix of DC Superhero Girls and Young Justice without exactly being like either.

I mean, the whole premise of the franchise is a group of young heroes growing into their powers and forming a secret team headlined by The Avengers (which is pretty much the Team from Young Justice). There's also a little more emphasis on the female heroes compared to the male ones, ala DCSHG (although it's definitely not all about the girls), along with a doll component in the merchandise.

The currently running Avengers: Black Panther's Quest is kind of more in-line with a cartoon that can appeal to all ages and older fans, as any Black Panther fan in his Appreciation Thread can attest, but it's pretty different from Marvel's usual animated output as of late.
    I keep hoping that Marvel will step up their animation game after Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse. All their animations should look as good as that.
    Well, Spider-Verse was pretty much all Sony, and the last time they did a Spider-Man cartoon (Spectacular) it was much better received then the two subsequent Spider-Man cartoons Marvel Animation headlined.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I just wish there was a Namorella to make things even more confusing.
    Now I want someone with a snarky attitude (like Rich used to have with her, back in their old New Warriors heyday), to deliberately mess up her name whenever they speak. Namorella. Namoreva. Namoretta. Namorilla. Namorexia.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They should just use her somewhere, period. She was resurrected (by time displacement) in DnA's Nova. The last New Warriors series was after that, and treated her as missing. Her only appearance since is a few months ago in Fantastic Four. There's a few plotholes needing resolving regarding her... one, how did she get back from space after Richard Rider rescued her? Two, why couldn't Water Snake find her? Three, where has she been since then? Four, why isn't she in contact with Namor? I swear editors keep forgetting that she was ever brought back sometimes.
    Welcome to the life of a C/D-list Marvel character. I remember that an editor was asked about her once, and they just said that it was best if people assumed she went back to her time, but that obviously didn't happen, as she was just recently on the FF book, which means she's been running around in the wrong timeline for quite some time now and no one bothered to address the implications of that, which drives me nuts.

I actually thought that the last New Warriors volume was going to deal with her later on (but never could since the book was cancelled), since there was some unanswered questions about Water Snake. We never saw her completing her mission, and it wasn't clear why it was stated that she looked so much like Nita. My theory is that we were going to find out that Faira was a clone of Nita, and that she was created to ''study'' Nita's life and then take her place in the past up until her death at Stamford, allowing history to follow its course while the real Namorita could stay alive and well in the present.

Well, Spider-Verse was pretty much all Sony, and the last time they did a Spider-Man cartoon (Spectacular) it was much better received then the two subsequent Spider-Man cartoons Marvel Animation headlined.
    Which is exactly why I said I hope this inspires Marvel to step up their game, as it is embarrassing that Sony is doing better Marvel animations than Marvel itself. Whatever happened to that rumor that all current Marvel animated shows would be cancelled anyway? Is that still happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Now I want someone with a snarky attitude (like Rich used to have with her, back in their old New Warriors heyday), to deliberately mess up her name whenever they speak. Namorella. Namoreva. Namoretta. Namorilla. Namorexia.
    I could totally see Speed doing that. While also hitting on her at every chance he gets, haha.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-19-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Which is exactly why I said I hope this inspires Marvel to step up their game, as it is embarrassing that Sony is doing better Marvel animations than Marvel itself. Whatever happened to that rumor that all current Marvel animated shows would be cancelled anyway? Is that still happening?
    Production seems to be ended on all the current shows, but they seem to be dragging out their end to last the entire year.

We might not know more about new cartoons until 2020.

On a corporate level I'm not sure if they would want something that would probably be aimed at the same kind of audience Marvel Rising is, not that I would really want current Marvel Animation to touch the Young Avengers anyways.
    I don't either I hope they go with another animation team when Disney+ rolls out

Incredible Member

For a Young Avengers Cartoon, I'd have the first season as an adaption of the first volume and Civil War.
    The second Season would introduce the Avengers Academy, and Dark Reign
    The third season would be a long term Thanos set up involving adopting, Infinity, Inhumanity, and Thane.
    The fourth Season would cover basically all of Jonathon Hickman's stuff Future Foundation, Time Runs out, Illuminati and Secret Wars.

Basically storylines that SHOULD transition to animation but we still have yet to see.

Welcome to the life of a C/D-list Marvel character. I remember that an editor was asked about her once, and they just said that it was best if people assumed she went back to her time, but that obviously didn't happen, as she was just recently on the FF book, which means she's been running around in the wrong timeline for quite some time now and no one bothered to address the implications of that, which drives me nuts.

I actually thought that the last New Warriors volume was going to deal with her later on (but never could since the book was cancelled), since there was some unanswered questions about Water Snake. We never saw her completing her mission, and it wasn't clear why it was stated that she looked so much like Nita. My theory is that we were going to find out that Faira was a clone of Nita, and that she was created to ''study'' Nita's life and then take her place in the past up until her death at Stamford, allowing history to follow its course while the real Namorita could stay alive and well in the present.
    Good theory. That would explain Namorita's new look in the 2005 NW series, since Water Snake had blue skin.

Ultimate Member

I could totally see Speed doing that. While also hitting on her at every chance he gets, haha.
    Oh yeah, Speed would be perfect for this.

It's interesting how Marvel has so few speedsters, compared to DC, and much lower-powered ones, at that (making them narratively easier to use than someone who can run, and think, and react!, at lightspeed, evacuate a city in mid-nuclear explosion or disarm an entire army in the blink of an eye), and with such dynamic and attitude-centric personalities as Northstar, Quicksilver and Speed, and yet seems to have little or no interest in actually using them.

If we ever do see the Young Avengers again, I'd definitely like to see something done with Tommy. I've got nothing against Kate or Billy, but the two of them seem to get more attention than the rest, and I'd like to see it spread around a little more. (That said, I liked Noh-Varr and America a bunch too, even if they weren't 'originals!')