Page 1 of 96 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Young Avengers appreciation 2019

New year, new thread, and let's hope, a new book.

Young Avengers, Assemble!

Roster, original team:
    Hawkeye, Kate Bishop
    Wiccan, Billy Kaplan, formerly Asgardian
    Hulkling, Teddy Altman
    Speed, Tommy Shepherd
    Stinger, Cassie Lang, formerly Stature
    Iron Lad, Nathaniel Richards
    Vision, Jonas
    Patriot, Eli Bradley

New members, volume 2:
    Ms America Chavez
    Loki Laufeyson
    Marvel Boy, Noh-Varr
    Prodigy, David Alleyne
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm an itty bit sad for the loss of the previous thread (I assume its lost) but I hope this thread winds up brimming with discussion brought on by legit YOUNG AVENGER publication(s) this year.

Still desperate for event-level-follow-up to the developments made in Ewing's New Avengers, specifically pertaining to Mister Altman's would-be-space-ruling.

As much as I absolutely ADORE the Champions, their idealistic make the world a better place than our predecessors left it approach to heroing is THE mission I was really hoping the Young Avengers would inevitably take on, but the Champs are doing a FINE job of it and I applaud them.

Kate's doing fine work as an independent contractor of crime solving with her Motley Crew of powered and not-powered folk in LA.
    Speed is presumably globe trotting between part time jobs here and there.
    David's helping Karma run her business and/or infected with the Techno Organic Virus and currently MIA, I believe, but potentially on deck as a reserve Champion I think(?)

I'd love to see/know what Cass is up to. She and her Dad teamed up last we heard right?

Cass and that old guy are protecting Miami from Florida Man.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I'm an itty bit sad for the loss of the previous thread (I assume its lost)
    Yeah, it's locked.

David's helping Karma run her business and/or infected with the Techno Organic Virus and currently MIA, I believe, but potentially on deck as a reserve Champion I think(?)
    That's correct, he was among six characters revealed to be reservists in today's Champions #1.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Well, I guess now I can say I'm on the first page of a YA thread. Yay?

Happy 2019, fellow Youngsters (if that's not the official name for the YA fandom, I just made it up ). May 2019 finally bring our babies back in action!

(From Tumblr)

A new thread to get all excited over every time there is a new post. You know, just in case it's news. One of these days, it will be.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

These are the characters I haven't read but want to because I'm immediately drawn to this guy.

Wiccan-Asgardian-Marvel-Comics-Young-Avengers-Billy-Kaplan.jpg

I know nothing about him except his relation to Wanda, his love for Teddy and The Sound of Music. I saw him dressed Magneto's family as Von Trapp and I know he's the one.

There's a reason I introduced this thread the way I did. We do have cause to believe a new book is coming...

Exhibit A: Bleeding Cool reported a couple of months ago that it was talked about at New York Comic Con 2018.
    Exhibit B: Jim Zub has been asked about Young Avengers members a few times, and the reply is always "no plans". The only exception, it seems, is Prodigy.

is there even room for the original characters in the current marvel universe? Cassie kind of pales in comparison to Nadia. Eli and Speed might as well not exist. Kate has moved on.

A revived team would obviously not have the exact same previous lineup. Unless YA was to replace West Coast Avengers, both Kate and America, as well as Noh-Varr, are out. Though I actually suspect that a relaunch WOULD be replacing WCA, and that those three would be included (if so, Clint Barton is definitely out, but would Fuse, Quentin Quire and Gwenpool be retained?).

Cassie does appear to duplicate Nadia in terms of powers, so I wouldn't put them on the same team (they could work together in an Ant-Man and Wasp book though, alongside Scott). So Cassie won't be joining the Champions, but there's no reason to exclude her if YA comes back (the reason she missed the last series was because she was dead).

Eli is definitely gone for good. We discussed that just before the old thread was locked up. Rayshaun Lucas has replaced him, and is a Champion.

Speed would probably come back if YA was brought back, along with Wiccan and Hulkling. Spider-Girl would be a logical addition, as the Champions already have Miles and Silk and thus are unlikely to recruit Anya.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-03-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

So I've only ever read Gillen's YA series and this year I think I'm going to check out Heinberg's run. I know I want to get Heinberg's complete collection (1-12 and the special) and the Children's Crusade collection. Looking at reading lists, it also mentions Young Avengers Presents and about fifteen issues of Mighty Avengers and I was just wondering what y'all think of those series, are they any good? or necessary?

Kate's going on a Journey into Mystery!
    https://www.themcelroy.family/2019/1...y-into-mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Kate's going on a Journey into Mystery!
    https://www.themcelroy.family/2019/1...y-into-mystery
    Yaay, that's good news! She's my fave member of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    A revived team would obviously not have the exact same previous lineup. Unless YA was to replace West Coast Avengers, both Kate and America, as well as Noh-Varr, are out. Though I actually suspect that a relaunch WOULD be replacing WCA, and that those three would be included (if so, Clint Barton is definitely out, but would Fuse, Quentin Quire and Gwenpool be retained?).

Cassie does appear to duplicate Nadia in terms of powers, so I wouldn't put them on the same team (they could work together in an Ant-Man and Wasp book though, alongside Scott). So Cassie won't be joining the Champions, but there's no reason to exclude her if YA comes back (the reason she missed the last series was because she was dead).

Eli is definitely gone for good. We discussed that just before the old thread was locked up. Rayshaun Lucas has replaced him, and is a Champion.

Speed would probably come back if YA was brought back, along with Wiccan and Hulkling. Spider-Girl would be a logical addition, as the Champions already have Miles and Silk and thus are unlikely to recruit Anya.
    If the gang were to reform a team I'd enjoy reading Wiccan, Speed, Hulkling, Anya-Spider-Girl, Squirrel Girl, uh.... gosh there are SO MANY Champions now I dont even know who to think of for a YA book. haha

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    So I've only ever read Gillen's YA series and this year I think I'm going to check out Heinberg's run. I know I want to get Heinberg's complete collection (1-12 and the special) and the Children's Crusade collection. Looking at reading lists, it also mentions Young Avengers Presents and about fifteen issues of Mighty Avengers and I was just wondering what y'all think of those series, are they any good? or necessary?
    The "Young Avengers Presents" one-shots were done by other writers while Heinberg's series was on hiatus, and aren't really essential, though I recall one of them was pretty good - Matt Fraction and Alan Davis's spotlight on Kate Bishop, which is also significant as the comic where Fraction really started to make Kate his own. Same with other Young Avengers appearances in the same era; they kept the characters in the public eye but didn't do anything big to change the status quo that "Children's Crusade" was going to begin with.

But although "Children's Crusade" acknowledges what happened after the original run (maybe too much) it's basically a direct continuation of the original series and there's nothing you have to read in between.