Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 885 of 1061
  1. #871
    Spectacular Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Strikeforce #3 Solicit:
    DOOM’S OWN DEMIURGE!
    The changeling creatures known as Vridai have lodged their fey claws into one of the most powerful men on Earth — Doctor Doom! And when Wiccan falls under their spell as well, the changelings have all the ingredients for a world-ending the likes of which you’ve never seen.

    Sad he didn't make it to the cover.
    I agree the cover artist are doing our boy dirty so far.

  2. #872
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Has there ever been any reporting on legal issues surrounding the Bradleys, or has that just been fan speculation?

    I see people mention it a lot, but I've never seen even so much as a Bleeding Cool article on the subject.
    I think Kyle Baker mentioned it when someone asked him about a new release of Truth.

    But as for real reporting NO. When it comes to certain characters stuff gets ignored or rarely mentioned. Ultraverse is barely mentioned despite the death of some founders and jailing of one. Milestone too since we are heading into year 10 of no Static in a comic book. Heck no one talks about the Fly being MIA from Red Circle and Archie.

  3. #873
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,300

    Default

    That Milestone situation is a real kicker, as Bendis actually wanted Static in his Young Justice team and wasn't allowed to use him.

    Jailed? Well I assume that guy's work won't see the light of day again then. So that actually explains why Ultraverse is ignored.

  4. #874
    Mighty Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    So it's been a few days since Death's Head #2 came out and I've had time to collect my thoughts

    After two issues I've got to say I'm pretty happy with Tini Howard as the new ongoing writer for Billy in Strikeforce, I like her take on him. He's still a huge nerd with poor impulse control and who makes questionable life choices. And I really identify with how he's worried that he's lost his shot to be successful because he's taken so many breaks for his own mental health.

    And I like this take on his magic, while I enjoyed Ewing's use of him I feel like the one word spells were just too OP. Having to repeat himself again, seeing how he has to take a beat to come up with spells on the fly (like the prison of pool chairs), I think these limits will work a lot better for team settings.

    And now onto what seems to be the most divisive part of the issue, Howard's portrayal of Kate. Personally I didn't mind it. I think it hints at an interesting divide between Billy and Kate's experiences.

    So towards the end of Ewing's New Avengers, Billy had really come into his own, he'd taken down a cosmic horror from before creation through sheer will, he stood his ground against his boss when they were about to turn against the government, and he basically became de facto leader of his splinter group of New Avengers after they broke off from AIM. He had confidence in himself and his abilities. And you could see that confidence during his Drag Brunch with Loki during WotR.

    But recovery isn't linear, and his anxiety and depression are always going to be issues for him which is where we are in Death's Head. He's feeling down that he's not where he should be in life, that his peers have all moved on and kids younger than him are already starting to surpass him. But he still has some confidence, he knows he messed up with his interdimensional self googling (again) so he's trying to take charge and clean up after himself this time.

    And that's where we run into conflict with Kate, she's never liked taking orders, not from Iron Man, Captain America, Iron Lad or Eli. She was the de facto leader of the Young Avengers after Eli quit, she led her own West Coast Avengers, I can see why she thinks she doesn't need to listen to Billy's orders. She's never quit like he has, she's been doing this nonstop for years, she has more experience than he does at this point. But she loves him so she will follow his orders, for now

  5. #875
    Spectacular Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Can we all just agree Billy shows huge characteristics of bipolar disorder?

  6. #876
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Can we all just agree Billy shows huge characteristics of bipolar disorder?
    Mental health issues must really be the defining trait of Magneto's family. You have depression, bipolar, anxiety, and all sorts of unpleasant crap running through it.

  7. #877
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Has there ever been any reporting on legal issues surrounding the Bradleys, or has that just been fan speculation?

    I see people mention it a lot, but I've never seen even so much as a Bleeding Cool article on the subject.
    The closest thing I've seen to a confirmation was when Jeremy Whitley, a Marvel writer, explicitly stated on Twitter that he heard there were legal issues with the Bradleys from the artist who co-created Isaiah himself, and that's why they haven't been used. And we have some evidence that the characters indeed couldn't be used, as both Kieron Gillen and Ta-Nehisi Coates stated in separate occasions that they weren't allowed to use a member of the Bradley family for reasons they couldn't really explain. Other than that, we never got the full picture of what was going on, and I don't think we ever will. That's irrelevant now, anyway, as it seems everything is finally back to normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    So it's been a few days since Death's Head #2 came out and I've had time to collect my thoughts

    After two issues I've got to say I'm pretty happy with Tini Howard as the new ongoing writer for Billy in Strikeforce, I like her take on him. He's still a huge nerd with poor impulse control and who makes questionable life choices. And I really identify with how he's worried that he's lost his shot to be successful because he's taken so many breaks for his own mental health.

    And I like this take on his magic, while I enjoyed Ewing's use of him I feel like the one word spells were just too OP. Having to repeat himself again, seeing how he has to take a beat to come up with spells on the fly (like the prison of pool chairs), I think these limits will work a lot better for team settings.

    And now onto what seems to be the most divisive part of the issue, Howard's portrayal of Kate. Personally I didn't mind it. I think it hints at an interesting divide between Billy and Kate's experiences.

    So towards the end of Ewing's New Avengers, Billy had really come into his own, he'd taken down a cosmic horror from before creation through sheer will, he stood his ground against his boss when they were about to turn against the government, and he basically became de facto leader of his splinter group of New Avengers after they broke off from AIM. He had confidence in himself and his abilities. And you could see that confidence during his Drag Brunch with Loki during WotR.

    But recovery isn't linear, and his anxiety and depression are always going to be issues for him which is where we are in Death's Head. He's feeling down that he's not where he should be in life, that his peers have all moved on and kids younger than him are already starting to surpass him. But he still has some confidence, he knows he messed up with his interdimensional self googling (again) so he's trying to take charge and clean up after himself this time.

    And that's where we run into conflict with Kate, she's never liked taking orders, not from Iron Man, Captain America, Iron Lad or Eli. She was the de facto leader of the Young Avengers after Eli quit, she led her own West Coast Avengers, I can see why she thinks she doesn't need to listen to Billy's orders. She's never quit like he has, she's been doing this nonstop for years, she has more experience than he does at this point. But she loves him so she will follow his orders, for now
    I like your take on this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Can we all just agree Billy shows huge characteristics of bipolar disorder?
    Not sure if I would go that far. I do think he shows classic signs of anxiety, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Mental health issues must really be the defining trait of Magneto's family. You have depression, bipolar, anxiety, and all sorts of unpleasant crap running through it.
    Billy was never biologically related to Erik, though, not even when he was still the Maximoffs' biological father. So those mental issues are not correlated, at least not on any biological form. Unless they explain that the whole magical reincarnation thing also messed with his mind.... which I guess it's not impossible when it comes to superhero comics.

    That reminds me that his biological mom, Rebecca Kaplan, is a psychologist, however. I remember some fun mentions of that during Heinberg's run, like when she gave this whole speech about how not eating breakfast with his family could be bad for him, or Billy being annoyed at her for ''psycho-analyzing'' him. I feel like it would be quite relevant to explore more of Billy's dynamics with his family now that we know he's faced a lot of psychological issues over the years.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-23-2019 at 01:46 AM.

  8. #878
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Can we all just agree Billy shows huge characteristics of bipolar disorder?
    If he had that, Nadia should've noticed it in Unstoppable Wasp #7, since she's bipolar herself.

  9. #879
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,542

    Default

    Billy experiencing mental health challenges is one of my favorite and one of the most believable developments for his character. I'd still very much like to see him in actual therapy with Jericho since he has a psychology degree and experience as a mystic-hero as well.

  10. #880
    Mighty Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If he had that, Nadia should've noticed it in Unstoppable Wasp #7, since she's bipolar herself.
    They've only met once, and it was at a birthday party where they barely interacted and were both trying to be socialable

    That's not exactly the best time for Nadia to randomly assume this stranger she's just met has the same mental illness she does, especially when she had only recently been diagnosed herself

  11. #881
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    So a lot of rumors about upcoming Marvel Studios productions turned out to be true, including the She-Hulk show which I honestly didn't think would actually happen. This gives me hope that there is some truth behind those Young Avengers rumors we got earlier this year.

    I saw on Twitter that apparently there is another Marvel panel on the second day of D23, so fingers crossed. I'm gonna be crushed if we come out of another convention with no YA announcements on any media at all. Come on, Marvel!
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-24-2019 at 02:18 AM.

  12. #882
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,300

    Default

    They also announced a Ms. Marvel Disney+ show. If the YA thing is true, she's probably in it. The confirmed teen MCU heroes now are Kamala, Kate Bishop, and Cassie Lang (I'd say Spider-Man too, if not for this week's bad news about his MCU status).

  13. #883
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Billy experiencing mental health challenges is one of my favorite and one of the most believable developments for his character. I'd still very much like to see him in actual therapy with Jericho since he has a psychology degree and experience as a mystic-hero as well.
    Ooh, good call! Drumm would be a much better choice than Doc Samson, who seems to be the go-to shrink for the superhero set. (Nobody wants to unpack their baggage in front of Moonstone...) It would be neat to address how crucial an uncluttered mind can be for a magical practitioner.

  14. #884
    Spectacular Member scourge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    210

    Default

    So...this was announced at D23.
    New event apparently called 'Incoming' in December.

    Anyone else think THIS looks like a certain shapeshifter?

  15. #885
    Mighty Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    So...this was announced at D23.
    New event apparently called 'Incoming' in December.

    Anyone else think THIS looks like a certain shapeshifter?
    Oh yeah that is definitely the once and future King of Space

    Excelsior

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •