Page 46 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

If they call it Thunderbolts, they will have to include Thunderbolt Ross. The original team name was sort of low key giving a shout out to nazism. Zemo wasn't yet ashamed of his lineage. Movie Zemo doesn't even have that lineage.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I don't think they'll use Kate's original backstory, because it's kind of an insensitive trope. The idea that a woman is 'empowered' after surviving sexual assault is an overused trope that figures in a lot of lesser 'strong female characters', so I would be happy if they gave her another motivation to be a hero. They could pay 'homage' to her original backstory by having her take a particular stand against sexual predators.

There's also the fact that Kate Bishop's character has evolved quite a bit since the original YA run. Initially she was more of a slightly haughty fashionista type (Didn't Hellenberg say he based her on Kate Beckinsale?). Whereas now she's more on a self-deprecating hipster type. Which A) would fit better into the MCu, and B) play well off Renner IMO.
    I get that it can be insensitive, but I don't think it ever was with Kate. On the contrary, I really think Heinberg tried to do it in the most respectful and tasteful way possible. It never felt like Kate was defined by her assault or her assailant. I think her story was lot more about who she was after the act than the act itself. I also enjoyed how she was able to open up with Jessica Jones (who was also a sexual assault survivor), which created the kind of friendship that's still relevant to Kate's stories to this day. And like I said, there are quite a lot of fans who feel strongly about her story and don't want it to change. I mean, case in point:

https://twitter.com/JAYBlRDS/status/1116037804943925248
    https://twitter.com/damnversdrew/sta...03964286500864

I also found this nicely written article arguing in favor of Marvel's portrayal of sexual assault with Kate and why it wasn't as problematic as the work done in other stories.

Honestly, it seems like a lose/lose situation for me. If they talk about the rape, they're promoting a problematic trope. If they don't talk about the rape, they are erasing the story of a sexual assault survivor. I think anything they do, people will complain. If anything, I don't think they woud do it just because it's probably a PG-13 show in a Disney platform, and they'd feel reluctant to discuss a heavy topic like that there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticomat View Post
    Just one thing I noticed in the WANDAVISION little part of that tweet chain: Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany reprise their respective roles as Scarlet Witch and Vision in a mysterious tale involving Wanda’s reality-altering powers.

If they're making her have reality-altering powers, then they really could introduce the twins through the show. And maybe even have her resurrect him.
    I noticed that too, and I'm glad about Wanda possibly getting a boost in her powers, but I'm not sure if that's how we're getting Billy and Tommy. We'd need some really convoluted explanation to get them to be teenagers already, and I'm not sure if Marvel would be willing to follow the crazy comic book route.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Can't imagine an MCU version of the Young Avengers that doesn't involve Tom Holland's Spider-man in some capacity
    I can. I just don't really think of Spider-Man when I think of the Avengers franchise. I think he works better being the face of his own franchise. Plus, I feel like Marvel Studios kind of got ahead of themselves by declaring him a full-fledged Avenger during Infinity War, and now he's even working with Nick Fury, going around recruiting people to be Avengers. It feels like they moved up his ''rank'' way too fast, so now it would be weird that he would be a Young Avenger, when they were essentially a team that started completely unsanctioned and untrained by any actual Avenger or S.H.I.E.L.D.

And then there's the rights issue, like Digifiend said. Who knows what Sony plans to do with the character, so I think it's probably for the best if they don't tie him to a new Avengers franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm totally fine with Riri replacing Nate, tbh. And I don't think they would ever do Iron Lad when Ironheart exists. Just look how they made Sam the new Captain America even though MCU Steve is much closer to Bucky. Viv over Jonas would also be a good completely logical choice.
    I'd be fine with her replacing him after his arc ends. The thing about Nate is that his days on the team are pretty much numbered, so there is no need to worry about him staying on the team forever, simply because he was always meant to leave. But I do think his story could and should be told. It is way too important, with way too relevant ramifications to let it go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only major reason to do Nate would be to setup Kang to be honest, but I'm not sure if the MCU is up for that yet.
    Not just Kang, but also the Fantastic Four. Nate is a Richards, after all, and the notion of him having an ancestor in the 21st century opens the door to all kinds of possibilities. And I definitely think the MCU is ready for Kang. They already have all of the key elements of time travel established; I think Kang appearing as a result of that would be the natural next step.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 07-14-2019 at 11:35 AM.

It'd bug me to have Spidey dropped in a YA movie, but Riri, I could be okay with. She seems more compatible with original conceit of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    If they call it Thunderbolts, they will have to include Thunderbolt Ross. The original team name was sort of low key giving a shout out to nazism. Zemo wasn't yet ashamed of his lineage. Movie Zemo doesn't even have that lineage.
    Making the MCU Thunderbolts based on the Rulkbolts run might actually be the only thing that could annoy me more than it ending up as Dark Avengers lol. The only compromise I could accept would be slotting Ross into the Dallas Riordan role.

The Thunderbolts never brought nazi imagery to mind for me, though now that you say that I see what you mean. I don't think that's really a crucial element of the name. It's riffing on the catchy "Justice, like lightning" verse, and could easily just be a catchy name Zemo makes up just to sound like a superhero team. It isn't like there was a supremely meaningful reason the Avengers were called the Avengers, after all. (Before Captain Marvel gave the name an origin)
    Last edited by H-E-D; 07-14-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Yeah, in the comics, they're called the Avengers because it was the first thing Wasp thought of and the others liked it, and said, that's it, that's our name. She just picked it because it sounded cool.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I think we can rule out Spiderman being part of the Young Avengers considering my idea the team should take place on the West Coast because that's where Cassie and quite possibly Elijah Bradley are.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I doubt we'd get Bradley.

Rayshaun Lucas is the less letigious character, especially given I just cant see the MCU doing his grandfather's story.

Frankly, it's all starting to sound a bit ramshackle and thrown together. Replacement characters make it sound more like a Champions movie. Which would be fine, but then call it that. It's a better name for a movie than Young Avengers woud be anyway.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I doubt we'd get Bradley.

Rayshaun Lucas is the less letigious character, especially given I just cant see the MCU doing his grandfather's story.

Frankly, it's all starting to sound a bit ramshackle and thrown together. Replacement characters make it sound more like a Champions movie. Which would be fine, but then call it that. It's a better name for a movie than Young Avengers woud be anyway.
    Champions would be a better name for an MCU iteration of the team, especially since I can see Marvel wanting to wait a little while before using the Avengers title in a film. If it were up to me I’d just make an MCU version a composite version of the champions and YA with a roster like this.

Ms. Marvel
    Ironheart
    Kate Bishop
    Stature
    Hulkling
    Wiccan
    Speed

The latter two because I think it’s likely that the twins could show up in Wanda’s show.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Fact of the matter is there is no YA unless you have Billy, Teddy, and Kate those 3 are the foundation of the team.

Teddy's parentage needs changing, but there's no reason those three, and the already established Cassie, won't be on the team. The question is who would join them - and like I keep saying, they will be choosing from all the teen heroes (the only ones we can rule out are the ones that were meant to be in that New Warriors show), not just the traditional YAs from the comics. There'll certainly be at least a couple of Champions in there. My opinion is, that while there's room for the two teams to co-exist in the comics, they will be merged for the MCU.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I also found this nicely written article arguing in favor of Marvel's portrayal of sexual assault with Kate and why it wasn't as problematic as the work done in other stories.

Honestly, it seems like a lose/lose situation for me. If they talk about the rape, they're promoting a problematic trope. If they don't talk about the rape, they are erasing the story of a sexual assault survivor. I think anything they do, people will complain. If anything, I don't think they woud do it just because it's probably a PG-13 show in a Disney platform, and they'd feel reluctant to discuss a heavy topic like that there.
    That is a good article. But whether they can execute it with the same degree of sensitivity in film is up in the air.
    I agree with you that it's lose/lose situation, but given that it'll probably be a PG-13 show, they'll lose less to drop the sexual assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Teddy's parentage needs changing, but there's no reason those three, and the already established Cassie, won't be on the team. The question is who would join them - and like I keep saying, they will be choosing from all the teen heroes (the only ones we can rule out are the ones that were meant to be in that New Warriors show), not just the traditional YAs from the comics. There'll certainly be at least a couple of Champions in there. My opinion is, that while there's room for the two teams to co-exist in the comics, they will be merged for the MCU.
    My guess for a YA team for the MCU based on the characters' ongoing popularity and presence in the comics, would be:
    Wiccan
    Hulkling
    Kate Bishop
    Ms Marvel
    Ironheart
    America Chavez
    Nova

My guess for a YA team for the MCU based on the characters' ongoing popularity and presence in the comics, would be:
    Wiccan
    Hulkling
    Kate Bishop
    Ms Marvel
    Ironheart
    America Chavez
    Nova
    There is no way they do an MCU YA without Cassie. 100% she will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Especially since she at the right age to be in a superhero team thanks to Endgames timeskip.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Especially since she at the right age to be in a superhero team thanks to Endgames timeskip.
    My thinking is that they had a chance to set that up and they didn't, which makes me think they're prioritising other characters.

My thinking is that they had a chance to set that up and they didn't, which makes me think they're prioritising other characters.
    https://heroichollywood.com/kevin-fe...marvel-future/

And certainly – taking our cue from the comics as we always do – that’s why we wanted Cassie, a very young Cassie in this movie, to be inspired by her father. Just planting seeds.”
    Quote from Marvel Stuidos boss Kevin Feige (around the release of Ant-Man & The Wasp).