Page 33 of 96 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Well, I'm voting for Billy the otter.

Also, I had an idea for how they could include Eli in the MCU
    spoilers:
    They can just have him be Steve's great-grandson instead of Isaiah.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Magmaster12; 05-15-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

There is obviously something about the Eli character that means Marvel can't use him. Unless they plan to shell out cash to fix it, i doubt we'll ever see him again.

They'll just use the new Patriot, especially give they have already started using him in cartoons, and blocked Coogler using Eli in Black Panther.

I know the guy has fans, but for whatever reason, he's gone, retired, lost to some legal wrangling.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    There is obviously something about the Eli character that means Marvel can't use him. Unless they plan to shell out cash to fix it, i doubt we'll ever see him again.

They'll just use the new Patriot, especially give they have already started using him in cartoons, and blocked Coogler using Eli in Black Panther.

I know the guy has fans, but for whatever reason, he's gone, retired, lost to some legal wrangling.
    Like I said before...Marvel should do a 1 time payout and a 'created by....' for all his appearances. Barring that....just kill off the whole family with a vengeance driven villain who bombs the house at Thanksgiving killing them all and ending their story.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post

Also, I had an idea for how they could include Eli in the MCU
    spoilers:
    They can just have him be Steve's great-grandson instead of Isaiah.
    end of spoilers
    They would still use that other Patriot.

Incredible Member

It's not Eli who is tied up in the rights issues it's the Bradley's because Marvel doesn't want to give money to a dead man's family for whatever terrible reason.

Doesn't matter the specifics. It's clear that MCU Patriot would be Rayshaun Lucas.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Doesn't matter the specifics. It's clear that MCU Patriot would be Rayshaun Lucas.
    I'm about to snap.........

Incredible Member

Yet Marvel doesn't seem invested in giving him any type of compelling backstory or reason to be invested in him, at least they made Joaqin Torres interesting before they sidelined him.

Astonishing Member

Yet Marvel doesn't seem invested in giving him any type of compelling backstory or reason to be invested in him, at least they made Joaqin Torres interesting before they sidelined him.
    Regarding Rayshaun's backstory, it was pretty compelling in practice; but maybe you had to have been there and read Spencer's Cap live during that time. (And as powerful a story as it was, Secret Empire's eventness did have its drawbacks. Eli's backstory not being compelling wasn't one of 'em, unless activist-minded youths taking charge at their surroundings that feel hopeless doesn't do it for you; it's tied to Rage's fall, so again, had to be there in the heat of the moment with the characters, perhaps.)

Doesn't justify the general shelving of Joaquin, but that's its own topic and really neither here nor there to Rayshaun and him being a completely fine Patriot to make use of if they chose to do so.

I think this is probably the case, but I hope if they do use Rayshaun they don't just try and make him into Eli.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Billy the otter! Long may he reign (at Teddy's side)!

In the comics, Rayshaun idolised Rage, and then became Sam Wilson's sidekick, receiving training from a Black Widow AI and tech from Ironheart's Tony Stark AI during Secret Empire. He later buddied up with Falcon, Sam's other sidekick, and both joined the Champions together. In the Marvel Rising cartoons, he was Steve Rogers's sidekick instead, and Steve secretly arranged for the Secret Warriors to be formed as a way to get him with heroes his own age. Neither version is similar to Eli's backstory, where he takes drugs to get powers and forms a team off panel prior to Young Avengers #1.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fam, I’m tearing up this is so beautiful

https://twitter.com/artofnickrobles/...903533062?s=21

The warmth of the pallet and just the faintest rainbow like shimmer of colors has me soaring.
    If I never see another image of Billy & Teddy for the rest of my life, this would be a phenomenal finale

Also, what a GORGEOUS signature Robles has!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Like I said before...Marvel should do a 1 time payout and a 'created by....' for all his appearances. Barring that....just kill off the whole family with a vengeance driven villain who bombs the house at Thanksgiving killing them all and ending their story.
    The problem is not with Eli's creators. Marvel has no beef with Heinberg and/or Cheung, as far as I'm concerned. As a matter of fact, they just announced their comeback to the publisher for the Marvel Comics #1000 book. Eli was just seemingly dragged into this because of his association to the Bradley family. He was collateral damage. And your suggestion sounds terrible. If they're not gonna use the characters anyway, there is no need to kill them off. Just keep them off-page like they have been for the last 7 years. Maybe someday they can use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think this is probably the case, but I hope if they do use Rayshaun they don't just try and make him into Eli.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I think it would happen. If they use a Patriot in the Young Avengers for the MCU, then it's more than likely they'll be taking inspiration from Heinberg's run. It would be hard for them to resist the temptation of taking several character traits from Eli and giving them to whomever is the new Patriot of that world, specially if it's another young black man who fights for social justice.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Marvel Comics #1000. I really think the Heinberg/Cheung page will give us a clue as to where Marvel stands on the use of Eli right now. I'm hoping this very special reunion will lead to him being allowed into comics again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Fam, I’m tearing up this is so beautiful

https://twitter.com/artofnickrobles/...903533062?s=21

The warmth of the pallet and just the faintest rainbow like shimmer of colors has me soaring.
    If I never see another image of Billy & Teddy for the rest of my life, this would be a phenomenal finale

Also, what a GORGEOUS signature Robles has!
    It looks gorgeous, but I kinda like the other coloring better. This one seems like it's been through one of those heavy Instagram filters. It doesn't look bad at all, but I probably would've liked it more if I hadn't seen the sketch first. I LOVE the background and the sprinkles-like effect, though. Anyway, I'm always here for good Billy/Teddy art!

And look! He fixed Billy's elf ear! LOL

Astonishing Member

In the comics, Rayshaun idolised Rage, and then became Sam Wilson's sidekick, receiving training from a Black Widow AI and tech from Ironheart's Tony Stark AI during Secret Empire. He later buddied up with Falcon, Sam's other sidekick, and both joined the Champions together. In the Marvel Rising cartoons, he was Steve Rogers's sidekick instead, and Steve secretly arranged for the Secret Warriors to be formed as a way to get him with heroes his own age. Neither version is similar to Eli's backstory, where he takes drugs to get powers and forms a team off panel prior to Young Avengers #1.
    This is a nice, all-around succinct way of explaining the basics of Rayshaun in both of his incarnations. And as mentioned, none of these basics overlap with Eli. The only thing they have in common is the moniker of Patriot and the fact that they are both young Black men who are, by and large, woke.