Page 15 of 96 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

We will probably only get Kate now.

And Cassie, who already exists in the movies and just needs to obtain her powers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

One little point changed, but look at the butterfly effect it has.

That was one piece of representation or whatever the reason for doing it may be, that just wasn't needed
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    One little point changed, but look at the butterfly effect it has.

That was one piece of representation or whatever the reason for doing it may be, that just wasn't needed
    The reason was the same as to why they've been retooling Carol's origins for the last decade or so. The latest one having her be an actual Kree/Human hybrid for the house of Ell. Ugh!
    It's to make Marvel's premiere female/feminist character (in their eyes anyway) origins not be dependent on a man i.e. Mar-Vell.
    #EmmaWasRight

They could just change Teddy's father. Make it a different Kree. The important part is he is a half Kree half Skrull prince. The fact that Marvel specifically is the father almost never comes up or seems to matter.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

spoilers:
    Teddy could just be a hybrid of a different Kree/Skrull pairing. It's not hard. If Mar-Vell as we know them isn't around it could literally be any other Kree.
    end of spoilers
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Don't know how to do spoiler tags. Spoilers ahead. Fair warning.

or if Mar Vell is an elderly woman now, maybe she's Teddy's grandmother? She has a wayward son that ran away with a Skrull princess? Lots of options. None of which would bother me.

HTML Code:
    [spoil]Spoiler text[/spoil]
    Result:
    spoilers:
    Spoiler text
    end of spoilers
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    The reason was the same as to why they've been retooling Carol's origins for the last decade or so. The latest one having her be an actual Kree/Human hybrid for the house of Ell. Ugh!
    It's to make Marvel's premiere female/feminist character (in their eyes anyway) origins not be dependent on a man i.e. Mar-Vell.
    So dumb. No one would even care outside of a tiny group.

You can be a strong female character and still have men involved in your life ffs.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hulkling is completely impossible in the MCU...
    spoilers:
    Unless they change Queen Arella into a King. Mar-Vell is female - and elderly too, so he'd have to have been born before the 90s and wouldn't be a teenager. That pretty much rules out a comics faithful MCU Young Avengers.
    end of spoilers
    Completely impossible is an exaggeration. They can switch some things up, but his overall origin (Kree/Skrull hybrid) is still completely adaptable in the MCU. spoilers:
    It'll piss me off that his parents are not the same as in the comics
    end of spoilers, but it's better to have a little change than to completely erase the character. I don't see Wiccan (who'd probably have his origins changed as well) coming to the MCU without Hulkling, or the Young Avengers coming to the MCU without the two of them for that matter. They are way too important to the team, and we already might be losing a founding member (Eli) on live action, so I really like to think Marvel would want them around, even if they have to change their story.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Yep that actually really angered since it ruined four characters at once.
    Kinda sad, but it just goes to show that when Marvel has a pet character, they don't really care about anyone else who might be less important getting screwed over.

spoilers:
    What they did in this movie is just the same thing Marvel Comics has been doing for years now with these characters' family legacy: completely ignoring it. Anyway, I've been thinking, and I actually think there is a way to keep the family intact in the MCU, but they'd have to change some of the family dynamics:

We could find out MCU Mar-Vell had a son, Genis-Vell, who was already an adult when the movie took place in the 90s. Genis would go on to carry his mother's legacy and father his own children: Phyla and Teddy. They both could have the same mothers and pretty much the same backstory as in the comics, with the only difference of Genis being their father and not brother. It's not ideal, but I think it's an acceptable way to not just completely kill the Vell family legacy. I chose Genis to be the father figure not only because he was the older one, but also because I think he is the one who's the hardest to adapt in the MCU in another role. Phyla has GOTG and Teddy has Young Avengers, but Genis... not so much I can see them doing with him in that universe. So he could fill Mar-Vell's role.
    end of spoilers

Now, does Marvel care enough to actually do this? Probably not, LOL. But a fanboy can dream...

I honestly couldn't care less if they want to make Carol independent of a man. It really doesn't bother me. spoilers:
    I just think there were ways they could've done that without ruining Mar-Vell and his legacy.
    end of spoilers It's a shame how much comic book history they threw away because of a damn name.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-08-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Mighty Member

I haven't heard this one yet, but it sounds counterproductive to the nature of superheroes if you asked me. Does "it's not how you got your powers, it's what you do with them" and "With great power, comes great responsibility" not ring a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Completely impossible is an exaggeration. They can switch some things up, but his overall origin (Kree/Skrull hybrid) is still completely adaptable in the MCU. spoilers:
    It'll piss me off that his parents are not the same as in the comics
    end of spoilers, but it's better to have a little change than to completely erase the character. I don't see Wiccan (who'd probably have his origins changed as well) coming to the MCU without Hulkling, or the Young Avengers coming to the MCU without the two of them for that matter. They are way too important to the team, and we already might be losing a founding member (Eli) on live action, so I really like to think Marvel would want them around, even if they have to change their story.

Kinda sad, but it just goes to show that when Marvel has a pet character, they don't really care about anyone else who might be less important getting screwed over.

spoilers:
    What they did in this movie is just the same thing Marvel Comics has been doing for years now with these characters' family legacy: completely ignoring it. Anyway, I've been thinking, and I actually think there is a way to keep the family intact in the MCU, but they'd have to change some of the family dynamics:

We could find out MCU Mar-Vell had a son, Genis-Vell, who was already an adult when the movie took place in the 90s. Genis would go on to carry his mother's legacy and father his own children: Phyla and Teddy. They both could have the same mothers and pretty much the same backstory as in the comics, with the only difference of Genis being their father and not brother. It's not ideal, but I think it's an acceptable way to not just completely kill the Vell family legacy. I chose Genis to be the father figure not only because he was the older one, but also because I think he is the one who's the hardest to adapt in the MCU in another role. Phyla has GOTG and Teddy has Young Avengers, but Genis... not so much I can see them doing with him in that universe. So he could fill Mar-Vell's role.
    end of spoilers

Now, does Marvel care enough to actually do this? Probably not, LOL. But a fanboy can dream...

I honestly couldn't care less if they want to make Carol independent of a man. It really doesn't bother me. spoilers:
    I just think there were ways they could've done that without ruining Mar-Vell and his legacy.
    end of spoilers It's a shame how much comic book history they threw away because of a damn name.
    They might be setting up Monica to be a young avenger

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    They might be setting up Monica to be a young avenger
    I don't think so. Captain Marvel takes place 23/24 years in the past, which would make Monica what, around her 30s in the present day? Kinda hard to imagine the Young Avengers not starting out with an all-teenage cast.

Yeah, Monica's being set up to be Carol's crimefighting partner, possibly a New Avenger, but definitely not a Young Avenger. The sequel would be set in the modern day - any kid debuting there (which it's likely that Kamala Khan will) is a more realistic candidate.

toldja they'd go with one of Clint's daughter.