Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    These are the characters I haven't read but want to because I'm immediately drawn to this guy.

Attachment 75930

I know nothing about him except his relation to Wanda, his love for Teddy and The Sound of Music. I saw him dressed Magneto's family as Von Trapp and I know he's the one.
    OMG, yas. Read the Young Avengers and come to the gay, jewish, magical side of the force.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's a reason I introduced this thread the way I did. We do have cause to believe a new book is coming...

Exhibit A: Bleeding Cool reported a couple of months ago that it was talked about at New York Comic Con 2018.
    Exhibit B: Jim Zub has been asked about Young Avengers members a few times, and the reply is always "no plans". The only exception, it seems, is Prodigy.
    No shade, but Zub can have Prodigy. As long as Billy, Teddy, Cassie and Tommy (I'd say Eli too, but that's a little more complicated) are secured for a YA relaunch, I'm fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    is there even room for the original characters in the current marvel universe? Cassie kind of pales in comparison to Nadia. Eli and Speed might as well not exist. Kate has moved on.
    There is room for anything Marvel wants to make room for. They relaunched the Great Lakes Avengers not too long ago, for god's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    So I've only ever read Gillen's YA series and this year I think I'm going to check out Heinberg's run. I know I want to get Heinberg's complete collection (1-12 and the special) and the Children's Crusade collection. Looking at reading lists, it also mentions Young Avengers Presents and about fifteen issues of Mighty Avengers and I was just wondering what y'all think of those series, are they any good? or necessary?
    Heinberg's run is essential, so I'm glad you're checking it out. Young Avengers Presents was a mini-series of one-shots focused on each member that was published while Heinberg was on a break from comics. It's not absolutely needed for you to understand his run, but I would recommend because there are some special developments for the characters in those issues. I didn't read Mighty Avengers so I can't speak on quality/necessity, but I think the only real connection they had to the YA was that Cassie and Jonas were a part of the roster.

And there are also other YA books, in case you're interested. We've had Young Avengers/Runaways: Civil War, Young Avengers/Runaways: Secret Invasion, Young Avengers: Dark Reign and Young Avengers: Siege (that was a one-shot, I believe). As you can tell, all of those were tie-ins for events and I don't know how familiar you are with those, but I read all of them before reading the actual events and, honestly, it wasn't hard for me at all to keep up. If you're just interested in reading more about the characters, I'd say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Kate's going on a Journey into Mystery!
    https://www.themcelroy.family/2019/1...y-into-mystery
    I'm happy for Kate, but I wish the other members would get to appear in books as much as she does. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Sounds cool.

Incredible Member

A new series isn't coming no one at Marvel including editorial cares about the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    A new series isn't coming no one at Marvel including editorial cares about the team.
    That's what I have been thinking for a while too, but CB Cebulski apparently said it's coming so at the very least we can have some hope.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    That's what I have been thinking for a while too, but CB Cebulski apparently said it's coming so at the very least we can have some hope.
    "Coming? It's not even breathing hard!"

But seriously, hope so!

Extraordinary Member

Talking about the period between Heinberg's original run and "Children's Crusade" reminds me that there was a period when Marvel really did seem to want to push the Young Avengers or at least integrate them into the Marvel universe. An example would be Ed Brubaker (probably at Tom Brevoort's suggestion) using Kate, Kid Vision and Eli in his memorable one-shot spotlight on the Winter Soldier.

The seeding of the characters in the other comics didn't always work - most famously, writers weren't clear on the fact that this Vision was not the original Vision as a kid - but they were at least trying to keep them visible.

At some point this seems to have faded. I guess we'll never know whether the series would have been better off letting someone else write an ongoing during the period when Heinberg couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Talking about the period between Heinberg's original run and "Children's Crusade" reminds me that there was a period when Marvel really did seem to want to push the Young Avengers or at least integrate them into the Marvel universe. An example would be Ed Brubaker (probably at Tom Brevoort's suggestion) using Kate, Kid Vision and Eli in his memorable one-shot spotlight on the Winter Soldier.

The seeding of the characters in the other comics didn't always work - most famously, writers weren't clear on the fact that this Vision was not the original Vision as a kid - but they were at least trying to keep them visible.

At some point this seems to have faded. I guess we'll never know whether the series would have been better off letting someone else write an ongoing during the period when Heinberg couldn't do it.
    Yeah, the numerous minis they got during that time shows Marvel wanted to keep the characters in print. The fact that they relaunched the team just one year after Avengers: Children's Crusade ended also shows that they were interested in keeping things going. The problem came after that; editors just seemed to have lost interest and no writer seemed to be pushing for it either. That is the perfect combination for a title getting shelved. Anyway, I'm hopeful things will change soon, with the NYCC ''announcement'' and all. I mean, Tom Brevoort was once strongly against relaunching the West Coast Avengers title, and he eventually came around and allowed that to happen, so anything's possible when it comes to the Avengers editorial. Now let's just hope they actually return the team to the prominence they once had, instead of doing a relaunch and then forgetting all about them again.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-03-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Yeah, the New Warriors still got relaunches after Young Avengers started - in fact, the last one ran at around the same time as the last YA series. So there's no reason the YA can't co-exist with the Champions. How to set them apart is pretty easy. With the Champions now being an international team of a similar size to the Hickman era Avengers, the Young Avengers should be smaller scale - and maybe based somewhere other than New York. If DC can have Titans, Teen Titans and Young Justice, there's room for Marvel to have the Champions, Runaways, and Young Avengers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I would love a one shot. They could call it a Runaways/Young Avengers reunion/anniversary special or something.

The two groups could gather at Billy's and Teddy's swank apartment for a house warming situation and get all caught up on the happenings with their respective peeps.
    Kate can parade her new beau, Johnny around. Tommy and Noh Varr (her platinum-haired former love interests) would leer and judge.
    Kate's bestie, America, could bring Johnny's sister and her new love interest Ramone. Cassie would leer at the wild haired dimension hopping Latinx, jealous of their closeness, while envious of how awesome she looks.
    Squirrel Girl, (invited by Teddy, from their Avenging days) with the most sincere of intentions, would collect all of the recently resurrected kids together to meet (Cassie, Victor Mancha, and Gert) and to encourage fostering a support group style relationship. Mental health IS very important.
    Teddy would eagerly interject himself into a conversation between Prodigy, Chase and Doombot about engineering to show off EXCELSIOR, much to Chase's genunine shock and awe.
    Amidst their bonding over being both magically inclined AND dating blond alien super babes, Nico would point out that BILLY'S blond alien super babe is actively swinging around his would-be-king-Sword, causing both Billy and Karolina to chuckle.
    Molly would be sternly but adorably educating Old Lace on appropriate party behavior, explaining to her that it is impolite to try to sniff at Tippy Toe, as if to assess edible status, who would be safely perched on Molly's head, also chittering and waving her hand at Lace.

How Quentin and Gwenpool (I would imagine Kate would invite them too, to be included) would navigate this kind of reunion as the odd one's out is anyone's guess. Karolina would probably make every effort to be polite and get to know them. Make them feel welcome. <shrug>
    Hmm.
    Well.
    Yup.
    I guess this fan art isn't going to draw itself.

EDIT. I guess I may have forgotten a few other deaths. David, technically died, whilst in Limbo at the hand of Belasco. And Nico died in Arena. Both brief but both deaths. Has anyone else died in this bunch that I've forgotten?
    Last edited by Fokken; 01-04-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Anniversary... yeah, good point, this year is both teams' 15th anniversaries, isn't it?

It'd be interesting to see Quentin mindscan them all. And then wonder why some of them aren't on the WCA team! After all, we know he considers America to be the only decently powered hero besides himself in the roster. Fuse is too much of a rookie, he can't figure out Gwen's abilities, and the Hawkeyes are powerless.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-04-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

YA's 15th Birthday would be in 2020 I think, I think the first issue was in April 2005. Runaways 15th was July of last year. Still It'd be nice to have some acknowledgement of how long our sweet boys, and girls have been around. I was disappointed when Runaways didn't point out its 75th overall issue a few months ago. I'd like Legacy numbering at least.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I would love a one shot. They could call it a Runaways/Young Avengers reunion/anniversary special or something.

The two groups could gather at Billy's and Teddy's swank apartment for a house warming situation and get all caught up on the happenings with their respective peeps.
    Kate can parade her new beau, Johnny around. Tommy and Noh Varr (her platinum-haired former love interests) would leer and judge.
    Kate's bestie, America, could bring Johnny's sister and her new love interest Ramone. Cassie would leer at the wild haired dimension hopping Latinx, jealous of their closeness, while envious of how awesome she looks.
    Squirrel Girl, (invited by Teddy, from their Avenging days) with the most sincere of intentions, would collect all of the recently resurrected kids together to meet (Cassie, Victor Mancha, and Gert) and to encourage fostering a support group style relationship. Mental health IS very important.
    Teddy would eagerly interject himself into a conversation between Prodigy, Chase and Doombot about engineering to show off EXCELSIOR, much to Chase's genunine shock and awe.
    Amidst their bonding over being both magically inclined AND dating blond alien super babes, Nico would point out that BILLY'S blond alien super babe is actively swinging around his would-be-king-Sword, causing both Billy and Karolina to chuckle.
    Molly would be sternly but adorably educating Old Lace on appropriate party behavior, explaining to her that it is impolite to try to sniff at Tippy Toe, as if to assess edible status, who would be safely perched on Molly's head, also chittering and waving her hand at Lace.

How Quentin and Gwenpool (I would imagine Kate would invite them too, to be included) would navigate this kind of reunion as the odd one's out is anyone's guess. Karolina would probably make every effort to be polite and get to know them. Make them feel welcome. <shrug>
    Hmm.
    Well.
    Yup.
    I guess this fan art isn't going to draw itself.

EDIT. I guess I may have forgotten a few other deaths. David, technically died, whilst in Limbo at the hand of Belasco. And Nico died in Arena. Both brief but both deaths. Has anyone else died in this bunch that I've forgotten?
    We could use another Runaways/YA crossover. I was hoping that was going to become a tradition every now and then, 'cause the two teams worked so well back in Civil War and Secret Invasion. Too bad it never got past that.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    YA's 15th Birthday would be in 2020 I think, I think the first issue was in April 2005. Runaways 15th was July of last year. Still It'd be nice to have some acknowledgement of how long our sweet boys, and girls have been around. I was disappointed when Runaways didn't point out its 75th overall issue a few months ago. I'd like Legacy numbering at least.
    YA debuted in February of 2005, actually. But if you look up in some places online, they say the first issue came out on April 2005 because of some weird 2-month publication rule that I never understood. But it was really on February, as I even remember Allan Heinberg tweeting about their 10th anniversary on February of 2015.

Speaking of legacy numbering, I decided to do the math for the Young Avengers title just for fun:

Young Avengers (Vol. 1) + Special = 13 issues
    Young Avengers & Runaways: Civil War = 4 issues
    Young Avengers Presents = 6 issues
    Runaways/Young Avengers: Secret Invasion = 3 issues
    Young Avengers: Dark Reign = 5 issues
    Young Avengers: Siege = 1 issue
    Avengers: The Children's Crusade + Special = 10 issues
    Young Avengers (Vol. 2) = 15 issues

A total of 57 issues. I wasn't sure if I would count the 9 issues of A:TCC, but I think we can all agree that despite being called just Avengers, that event was a Young Avengers story for all intents and purposes. The only things I left out were substories the team had in bigger books like I Am An Avenger or Original Sins. It didn't feel quite right to count those as Young Avengers issues, as they were only substories.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-05-2019 at 12:52 AM.

February... well, that explains my mistake, as it's only a few months out. I associated YA's launch with Avengers Disassembled, since of course the catalyst for Stature's origin was the death of her father in that arc.

Incredible Member

Well this upsets me, Jude Law might be playing both Yon Rogg and Mar Vell in Captain Marvel hope this doesn't hurt Hulklings chances of ever showing up in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Well this upsets me, Jude Law might be playing both Yon Rogg and Mar Vell in Captain Marvel hope this doesn't hurt Hulklings chances of ever showing up in the MCU.
    I think he's just playing one of them, and it's the one that's been leaked in the toys. I think the only thing that could harm Teddy's origin story is if Mar-Vell is established as being dead in this first film without any mention of his relationship with Anelle. I hope they don't mess this up. I know they can always just give Teddy another origin, but if I had my way, Mar and Anelle would still be his parents in the MCU.

Of course that Mar-Vell being on the MCU would make the chances of Hulkling showing up bigger, but he's not exactly necessary. They could tweak his origin just fine and still have all the important elements. I guess I'm maybe a bit hypocritical about that cause I wouldn't want for Billy on the MCU without being related to Wanda, but I feel like Teddy's connection to him isn't nearly as important. He could still be a kree-skrull hybrid brought to earth in hiding and even a prince without needing for Mar-Vell to be his dad.