Page 20 of 96 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    This is where i'm at as well, the in story motivation for them being here doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It seems to me the characters were added to the book because Marvel knows a Death's Head solo is a non-starter, so with W&H they are hoping to appeal to a larger audience. Of course, I'm probably biased because I couldn't give less of a **** about Death's Head and I'm irritated I have to buy this for the characters I actually want to see.
    Fam you not alone I didn't even know who the **** Deathhead was till this announcement *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    This whole age thing is throwing me off. Billy and Teddy were 18 at the most when they last showed up and event hat was just them being suddenly aged up during Gillen's run along with the others. Either of them being worried about being "Obsolete" doesn't make sense either, both already recognized as full Avengers so its not like they've only ever been 'Young'.
    True, they were New Avengers.

But it is also true that there are several core team Avengers that are younger than the Young Avengers. The ANAD Avengers had 16 year old Ms Marvel, the also 16 year old Spider-Man, and 15 year old Nova. After the Champions formed, those three left... but then Unstoppable Wasp became a member, another 16 year old. Those kids are all three or four years younger than Billy and Teddy! Isn't Robbie Reyes, the Ghost Rider on the current team, only 18? That'd be someone else younger than most of the YAs if so. I can see where they're coming from with this talk about the team being obsolete. It's graduation time. If they reunite, they need to change their adjective. Like I said, they were New Avengers. That name is vacant, so they could use that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

If Billy had a drawback to his magic like with doctor strange and his mother what do you think it would be.

I think it would be fitting if it made him tired because it ties in well with depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    This is where i'm at as well, the in story motivation for them being here doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It seems to me the characters were added to the book because Marvel knows a Death's Head solo is a non-starter, so with W&H they are hoping to appeal to a larger audience. Of course, I'm probably biased because I couldn't give less of a **** about Death's Head and I'm irritated I have to buy this for the characters I actually want to see.
    I got the feeling it was more like the writer is a Billy/Teddy fan so she was like "Yeaah... Death's Hand... Can I just make it about Wiccan and Hulkling? lol"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    If Billy had a drawback to his magic like with doctor strange and his mother what do you think it would be.

I think it would be fitting if it made him tired because it ties in well with depression.
    The ability to alter reality could lead to various psychological issues.

For one, knowing that you can change any situation, could lead to a sort of option paralysis where you don't bother doing anything 'yet' because 'let's give them a chance to pull this out...' or even a morbid sort of 'how bad can it get anyway? I'm gonna change it anyway, let's see how it plays out...' What to everyone else is a pitched fight for their lives and / or the fate of the universe is, to you, a movie that you can pause, rewind *and edit* as you see fit, and begins to feel about as significant. Like binge-watching a random show, you might only half be paying attention, while also looking at your phone...

Memories of alternate situations that have now 'never happened' could lead to some epic disassociation, and trouble relating to people who don't remember all the events you've altered, or all the times you've saved their lives (or the universe) and are, in your opinion, insufficiently grateful.

Consequences of actions stop mattering, because you may feel that you can just 'fix' anything that goes wrong because you told Galactus his hat made him look fat or something.

Knowing that *other* people can also alter reality, like Wanda or Proteus or various other folk (or the Reality Stone, which lets anyone do it), could lead to all sorts of problems, ranging from paranoia to regarding events around as 'not real' to a desire to 'be the only one.'

I kind of hate that he's got this power at all, instead of the spellcasting he was originally written with, but it is what it is. It's kind of funky that Wanda has moved further away from 'reality manipulation' and more into actual witchcraft, while Billy has flat-out said to Dr. Strange that he's not really a magician but 'just' a reality manipulator when invited to help with a mass casting. They seem to be trying to salvage the mess that was made of Wanda, while forgetting Billy entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Side note while scrolling through the Twitter the whole age thing really resonated. Especially when someone pointed out that Teddy can look however he pleases, and Billy with his powers can probably stop aging physically whenever he pleases especially with the whole "future God of the multiverse thing he's got goin on." So bringing that pairing together with Deathhead is a very intresting concept. An older replaceable model interacting with 2 beings who could literally be around forever is so curious to me.

Also about Billy's fear of becoming "Obsolete" again for someone who's destined to become a God I find weird. Have we figured what it is exactly Billy has going on? I thought it was just depression, or is it something bigger like really mentally concerning? I can't recall if it was ever officially diagnosed on page.
    Which twitter feed we talking please and thank you?

Billy and Teddy should be like, 18 or so. It's so annoying how Marvel keeps letting teens age even though the characters that have been adults for forever never get old. I don't like the whole idea that Billy and Teddy are already not that young anymore.

The age issue continually vexes me.

If the characters are in their teens, they are often fast tracked to their 20's.
    However if they are children, they remain as such, often indefinitely (The Richards children, for example).
    But if they are babies -- well then writers seem incapable of understanding how babies work and so they age and/or de-age them from story to story. (Jubilee's adoptive son for example fluctuates between swaddling babe and trotting toddler at any given time)

Guh.

And on the topic of Billy's powers: The crippling anxiety alone of having SO MUCH power/potential has got to be MASSIVE. When faced with near limitless power, how do you function? How and when do you permit yourself to just BE? When you can hand wave tragedy? When you can undo devastation? When and how do you actually say "This is too much" and/or "I can't play God" ??? And if we're grounding things a little more and applying them to basic "hero" combat situations, the decision making process has to be daunting! Why not just freeze all your opponents? Or send them away? Or ...or...or...? Its gotta be tough. I've recently joined a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, and my character has spells at her disposal and even picking from the limited options I have is mind numbing at times. What should I do? What's too much? What's not enough? And then factoring in being a member of a team, being part of a group, allowing the members of your team to contribute ? Its really no wonder Billy struggles with doubt, depression, and insecurity. His greatest dream of becoming a super hero is not all he dreamed it would be. And for someone who makes dreams reality -- that my friends, is purest irony.
    Last edited by Fokken; 03-27-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Which twitter feed we talking please and thank you?
    It was just the link someone posted like on the last page I believe I was just scrolling through the comments.

I choose to believe his powers are the reason he has anxiety/depression/whatever the **** else. I like to believe it's nature's way of giving his powers sometype of balance. Just a theory though *shrugs*

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Side note while scrolling through the Twitter the whole age thing really resonated. Especially when someone pointed out that Teddy can look however he pleases, and Billy with his powers can probably stop aging physically whenever he pleases especially with the whole "future God of the multiverse thing he's got goin on." So bringing that pairing together with Deathhead is a very intresting concept. An older replaceable model interacting with 2 beings who could literally be around forever is so curious to me.

Also about Billy's fear of becoming "Obsolete" again for someone who's destined to become a God I find weird. Have we figured what it is exactly Billy has going on? I thought it was just depression, or is it something bigger like really mentally concerning? I can't recall if it was ever officially diagnosed on page.
    Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    This whole age thing is throwing me off. Billy and Teddy were 18 at the most when they last showed up and event hat was just them being suddenly aged up during Gillen's run along with the others. Either of them being worried about being "Obsolete" doesn't make sense either, both already recognized as full Avengers so its not like they've only ever been 'Young'.
    I think y'all might not be looking at this from the right point of view. Yes, Billy and Teddy may have everything, but does that stop them from feeling like nothing? Like Sutekh and Fokken argued just above, when you stop to think about the implications of Billy's powers, you can understand why he'd be so insecure and anxious all the time, which could in turn explain his fear of becoming ''obsolete''. Just because they're powerful, it doesn't make they don't go through what anyone can go through when they are transitioning between adolescence and adulthood. They're still young, but there's a difference between being underage young and young adult, you know? There are other responsibilities, concerns and struggles you have to deal with you never had to before. And when you consider that they are engaged AND sharing an apartment together, it's even clearer that those two in particular seem to be being thrown a little bit faster into adulthood, and that CAN be a scary feeling, specially when you're not sure how exactly to be an adult. It can make you feel like you might be left behind if you don't keep up, and maybe that's when the fear of becoming obsolete comes in. As someone in my early 20s, I can totally understand and relate to that feeling. And I think that perhaps that's what Tini meant when she said they're grown ups now. Not that they randomly aged 10 years or something, for anyone worried about their age.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I got the feeling it was more like the writer is a Billy/Teddy fan so she was like "Yeaah... Death's Hand... Can I just make it about Wiccan and Hulkling? lol"
    I don't doubt that Tini is a fan of the boys, it just seems like dropping them in a Death's Head solo and fabricating some kind of connection between them is a real stretch. Would have much preferred her to pitch a separate duo book for the two than include them in a title where they don't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I think y'all might not be looking at this from the right point of view. Yes, Billy and Teddy may have everything, but does that stop them from feeling like nothing? Like Sutekh and Fokken argued just above, when you stop to think about the implications of Billy's powers, you can understand why he'd be so insecure and anxious all the time, which could in turn explain his fear of becoming ''obsolete''. Just because they're powerful, it doesn't make they don't go through what anyone can go through when they are transitioning between adolescence and adulthood. They're still young, but there's a difference between being underage young and young adult, you know? There are other responsibilities, concerns and struggles you have to deal with you never had to before. And when you consider that they are engaged AND sharing an apartment together, it's even clearer that those two in particular seem to be being thrown a little bit faster into adulthood, and that CAN be a scary feeling, specially when you're not sure how exactly to be an adult. It can make you feel like you might be left behind if you don't keep up, and maybe that's when the fear of becoming obsolete comes in. As someone in my early 20s, I can totally understand and relate to that feeling. And I think that perhaps that's what Tini meant when she said they're grown ups now. Not that they randomly aged 10 years or something, for anyone worried about their age.
    I definitely understand anxiety and insecurity and how the transition from teen to young adult can be tumultuous. I really don't understand using the word obsolete to describe that experience or in regards to a person. People can't be obsolete, we aren't flip phones. Also Gillen's YA run already pretty well dealt with the theme of that particular coming of age story, having them revisit the theme feels a bit regressive.

I hope we get some good art. I've made a promise that as soon as Billy finally had a significant appearance somewhere with good art, I would finally change my avatar. I was hoping it would be YA relaunch but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I hope we get some good art. I've made a promise that as soon as Billy finally had a significant appearance somewhere with good art, I would finally change my avatar. I was hoping it would be YA relaunch but I guess not.
    I thought New Avengers had a great Billy look towards the end when he was shrinking the floating slice of Pizza he looked like a G Lol

The Deaths Head thing is random to say the least but I'm happy they're showing up.